PDA

View Full Version : Why I can't complain ... and wonder what all the hoopla on the news is all about.

Thumper
05-16-2014, 07:19 AM
WARNING!! Thump post .... ;)

Youse dufes may remember when I awoke a week or so ago with pain and swelling in my left 'nad. The next day, Lynn and I were leaving town for the weekend and I farted it off. Well, upon our return, Lynn chewed my ass for not doing something about it immediately. Heck, by this time the pain and swelling was gone ... but that didn't matter to her. She called my local VA doctor and told her what had transpired. My doc called back and said she wanted a sonogram/ultrasound performed, but they were backed up until July. My doc then suggested we head over to Tampa and have it done at the hospital.

Ok, with no appointment, we head over about 6:00 am yesterday morning. I was questioned and examined by triage and was told I could have had a minor infection/injury ... OR it could be something more serious ... but they were not going to take any chances and scheduled some testing. We had walked into the hospital around 6:30 - 6:45 am ... by 7:30 am I looked like this. (Lynn caught me snoozing)

I was immediately given blood and urine tests as well as plumbed for an IV in case anything pressing was discovered and I needed to be rushed into surgery. Blood and urine was rushed to the lab and the results were in my docs hands within the hour. While this was happening, they served me breakfast (and brought Lynn a snack). The test results were examined and it seems my liver numbers (enzymes?) were up just a tad (totally unrelated to why I was there). The doc looked at my records and they were up 2 (whatever their unit of measurement is) at my normal check-up in January ... and up another 2 yesterday. He said it's not too terribly alarming, as an increase in the thousands is what really throws up red flags, but he'd still like to know why there was an increase in case something needs to be "nipped in the bud".

He sent a message to my Primary Care Physician here at my normal clinic in town regarding the liver thingy. Then he ordered a sonogram for my nutsack. The department was backed up with appointments (remember, I was a "walk-in"), so the doc told them to get me in asap that same day. They said they'd get me in at 5:30 pm. Ok, the doc tells us there's no reason to be stuck in bed all day awaiting the sonogram and released me so we could kill some time while awaiting the test. Hmmm, we'd just had a bite to eat at the hospital, but since our favorite Chinese restaurant in town was right down the street, we decided to drop in for a snack. (they have the BESTEST calamari I've ever had in my life!) Lynn wasn't hungry (but I can ALWAYS eat), so I had a treat ... the best squid you could ever ask for!

While we were at lunch, my Primary Care Physician calls my cell phone and said my doc (at the hospital) had called her regarding the liver "problem" and she informed me she wants to schedule a sonogram of my liver as well. Ok, after lunch, we ran around and did a bit of shopping etc. just killing time, then headed back over to the hospital. We went to the ultrasound department and had the coolest dude you could ever meet to do the testing. I asked if Lynn could accompany me and was told that it's not normally done, but if she really wants to be there, he had no problem with it. As he was setting up, I told him about the liver thing and asked if there was any way he could just slide up a bit after playing with my nutsack, and take some shots of my liver? Kind of one-stop shopping. He checked the computer and said he saw the order from earlier that morning, but I need to fast for at least 8 hours for the liver sonogram. Dang! Could'a killed two birds with one stone if I'd known. The test took a good 30 minutes or more and we were all cracking up with the jokes and general fun conversation during the testing. Nothing like cracking jokes while a dude is playing with your family jewels! The technician said he saw the lump on my left 'nad (some medical term a mile long) and said in HIS opinion, he saw nothing alarming, but the doctor would have to examine the results for an official opinion. They said they'd shoot the results over to my Primary doc here in town and she'd contact me with the news either today or possibly Monday at the very latest, plus she's setting up the liver test.

Afterwards, we headed out to our favorite Persian restaurant for dinner and had some Middle Eastern food for supper. Our town is nothing but old farts and snowbirds who frequent nothing but National Chains with "early bird specials" ... so the restaurant diversity in Tampa is a real treat.

Anyway, I've said it before ... under the circumstances (no appointment, etc) ... I couldn't have asked for any better medical care than I received yesterday. I know the VA has been getting a bad rap lately, but I can't find a thing to complain about locally. I'm lucky to have the care they provide for me and the staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful.

Captain
05-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Uhhhhhh was that a health update or a what-all-I-ate yesterday update??? :D

Hope you get some good news on your test, and glad you have good relationship with the VA. However I noticed you said the VA was "getting" a bad rap lately. That is an incorrect statement. They have been GIVING a bad rap and its just now coming to roost. I imagine all the families of the folks that have died and been mistreated feel like THEY are the ones that got the bad rap....
Just sayin'

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
05-16-2014, 07:54 AM
My nephew, who has service related MS, says the same thing about his care Jim. He's more than satisfied with the way he's treated and he's always able to get in when he needs to. I guess not all VA centers are the same though. When he was alive, my Dad went to VA in Arkansas and I don't ever recall anything with him but good health care received there. I've heard complaints from time to time about waiting times in Oklahoma and that was usually associated with the scarcity of doctors.

I have to agree with the head of the VA, Shenseki, that we need to withhold judgement until the inspector general releases his full report in a couple of weeks. It sure enough sounds like there have been some serious shit going on in the Arizona facility as well as other places as well. Whether its a systematic problem or not is anybody's guess. Heads need to roll for whoever is responsible. But like the Benghazi deal, this is becoming purely politicized. Fox News bitches all the time about biased coverage and their coverage of this is abysmal. Just one example that pissed me off is their continual reference to John McCain being a wounded Nam veteran, which he is and that is a reason for honor and respect but it doesn't make him an expert on VA processes. The head of the VA just happens to be a wounded Nam veteran as well and served like 40 years in the service. The Senators who were questioning him were grandstanding and treating him with, in my opinion, disrespect. Its fine to be forthright but that was plain old grandstanding.
It seems to be the norm lately with this Gowdy fucker and its on both sides of the aisle. It makes me even sicker about a sick situation.

anyway, I'm glad you got this looked at. hopefully your results will be A-okay and you can get back to your pickin'. and hopefully they'll find the problem and solve it with this veterans health care deal too. Our veterans deserve better.

The last thing though I'll say is that the biggest problem I think we have with veterans health care has to do with the government's unwillingness to admit that there have been service related illnesses. The whole agent orange denial, the PTSD denials, and the issues soldiers came back with from Iraq and Afghanistan with MS and other related illnesses have been drawn out for years and years before there were connections made. Where were these senators and congressmen then with their accusations and grandstanding? They were busy protecting the government is what they were doing. that's why I think these smarmy fuckers need to be bitch slapped. They're responsible too for making sure we have adequate health care for our veterans.

BKB

Thumper
05-16-2014, 07:57 AM
To be honest Cappy ... I haven't been following what's going on. All I know is, every time I turn on the news lately, there's a pic of a VA Hospital on the screen and talk of them killing people. I've only had personal experience with three different VA Hospitals in the country, but have never had a problem receiving care on a timely basis. That doesn't mean there are no problems "somewhere" ... I've simply never experienced them.

Thumper
05-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Yeah P-hole ... I agree. The only personal experience I've had was the Agent Orange fiasco. In fact, up until just a few years ago, the government denied even using AO in the places I spent my time. I KNEW differently, but couldn't prove it. I had a buddy with obvious AO exposure problems and on a few of my trips to S.E. Asia, I was actually on a bit of a fact-finding mission. I visited many of the places I personally observed AO being used and tried to find some evidence I could actually sink my teeth into. I "thought" I'd actually found some old AO drums stored behind the old motor pool where I spent a lot of time (the CIA took the installation over as I was leaving and it was eventually turned over to the Thai military). I'd gained access by schmoosing with the Thai Army Commander of the NE Region of Thailand. It turned out they were actually old oil drums that had red stripes around them, but the stripes had faded over the years and turned orange. (the term "Agent Orange" comes from the orange stripe painted around the AO drums) My buddy eventually died of AO exposure (IMHO) before it was ever admitted he was in these areas and exposed. Personally, I've had tons of exposure, but so far (knock on wood), no related illnesses. It's a looooong story that I won't bore you with, but I'm now on the official "National Agent Orange Registry" ... the admissions finally came forth a few years back about where this stuff was used and I spent 3+ years breathing it (via spray/dust), showering with it and drinking it (from the ground water from my well in the village)!

Thumper
05-16-2014, 11:44 AM
Well, good news! The doc at the hospital called a couple hours ago and said all is well. Sumpin' 'bout epididymis and spermatocele? The only part I really paid attention to was the "don't worry about it" part! ;)

He DID say to continue "self examinations" and report if there are any changes noted. I think I'll tell Lynn he instructed me to have HER do that! :D

Ok, one crisis down ... now, on to the frigging liver. :(

BarryBobPosthole
05-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Great news! Soak 'em in cider.

BKB

Thumper
05-16-2014, 12:37 PM
I was thinkin' Sea Foam.

BarryBobPosthole
05-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Well, that's the sure fire cure.

BKB

Thumper
05-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Key word: FIRE! (ya' think that stuff might burn a little?) ;)

quercus alba
05-16-2014, 12:45 PM
I've got nothing against the VA specially since they pay my son big bucks to be a nurse there

BarryBobPosthole
05-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Its irony to me that the same senators who are huffing and puffing about veterans health care are the ones who in February voted down an expansion of VA funding by $22 billion to take care of the influx of veterans from the Iraq and Afghanistan. Why did they vote it down? Not because they didn't think it was necessary. It came out of committee with a unanimous vote. It was voted down because they weren't allowed to attach an unrelated amendment to the bill that would have called for additional sanctions against Iran. In other words, it was shot down to make someone else look bad. Our government is in pitiful shape.

BKB

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/27/us-usa-veterans-congress-idUSBREA1Q26O20140227