PDA

View Full Version : Un-frigging believable! (this may be a real adventure)

Thumper
05-16-2014, 01:39 PM
As you know, my income took a major nose-dive a few years ago ... but somehow, Lynn and I have adjusted and haven't really had to do without much ... we simply adjusted our lifestyle a bit, tweaked expenses here and there ... and generally, have had a lot of fun in the process. Example, she's been looking at a pair of shoes recently that are $85.00 ... but she refused to pull the trigger. Two weeks ago, at an estate sale, she walked up to me with her hands behind her back and asked if I could guess what she'd just found. I had no clue. She pulled out the EXACT pair of shoes she's been looking at ... her correct size, brand new and still in the box! She bought 'em for $1.00! I (and she) couldn't believe the luck. I could go on and on with examples ... but we've learned to grocery shop at thrift stores, the Farmer's Market (for veggies) and she's an expert at finding the best grocery store bargains in town. Finding bargains has almost become a hobby of ours. Add to that, my eBay sales give us some "play money" as well as contribute to the IRA.

Well, I think she's out-done herself this time. There "could" be some surprises, but it looks cool so far. At any rate, we've agreed to simply make an adventure of it. Our 29th "anniversary" is coming up next month and she wanted us to go to New Orleans. Okay, time to work on the budget and consider the gas money for the 1300+ mile round-trip. Well, today she comes up with a bombshell. She found a "tour bus" that starts their rates at a crazy, ROCK BOTTOM price and sells reservations on a sliding scale. As seats are sold, the prices slowly rise ... until the bus is full. BUS??? Are you nuts!? The last time I rode a bus was a Greyhound from Memphis to Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri. That was torture ... a zillion stops ... and it took like 12 hours to travel 200 miles!

Well, this is a big double-decker tour bus, non-stop with nice reclining seats and all the good stuff including free wi-fi! Okay, how LONG will this possible trip from Hell be? 10 hours ... persactly how long the trip is by car! I told her to go for it and we'd just make an adventure out of it. They offer day or night trips, so we decided on the "red-eye" out of Orlando. That way we could sleep and be ready to hit the town upon arrival in Nawlins, otherwise we'd be worn out from driving and miss half a day while trying to catch up on sleep! We're allowed a suitcase each, as well as one carry-on each. We can also bring food and drink, but no alcohol (or smoking of course). We can park the car at their secured parking lot where we board the bus.

Once we hit New Orleans, we can purchase a Jazzy Pass from the Regional Transit Authority right where the bus let's us off and one of the stops is right in front of our hotel!

Jazzy Pass

Forget about bills and coins. Get in tune with the rhythm of New Orleans. Dip your Jazzy Pass into the fare machine on any RTA bus or streetcar, and you’re on your way. The Jazzy Pass is a card with a magnetic strip that lets you ride RTA buses and streetcars as much as you’d like during the period it is active. Here are some good reasons to buy a Jazzy Pass:

You don’t need exact change.
You don’t need transfers.
Board quickly and find your seat.
Hop on and off buses and streetcars whenever you wish.
Save money when you ride a lot.
Feel like a local (whether you are one or not)

Now ... are you ready for the kicker? That "rock-bottom" price I mentioned ... TWO FRIGGING DOLLARS!! ... that's TOTAL for both of us. $1.00 apiece, each way!

Here are our reservations:

Reservation summary for order ACO5JRI
Journey 1
Reservation Number XXXXXXXXXX-ORL-NOL
Date: June 5, 2014
To: New Orleans, LA, (Temporary Location) Elysian Fields Ave between St Claude Ave and N Rampart St (5:45 AM)
Passengers: 2
Price: $2.00

Journey 2
Reservation Number XXXXXXXXXX-NOL-ORL
Date: June 9, 2014
From: New Orleans, LA, (Temporary Location) Elysian Fields Ave between St Claude Ave and N Rampart St (11:30 AM)
To: Orlando, FL, 101-199 N Gertrude Ave (11:45 PM)
Passengers: 2
Price: $2.00

Cost and Payment Summary
Ticket Price: $4.00
Booking Fee: $1.00

Total Paid: $5.00

FIVE DOLLARS TOTAL ... ROUND TRIP! That wouldn't even buy enough gas for us to make it out of the city limits! This should be a real adventure! $5.00 transportation ... $0.00 lodging ... we should be able to eat like royalty on that budget! Not bad for 3-days in New Orleans! :D

They're in various cities ... if I have a favorable report, ya' may want to check out their website: https://us.megabus.com/

Here are a couple of their buses:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g471/esbdave/US%20Coaches%20East/MegabusDD432IMG_0655.jpg http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv115/Dabusman1952/megabus_back.jpg

Bwana
05-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Wow, talk about a deal! Hope they don't turn you over to the voodoo queen.

Thumper
05-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Just got word ... my sister and BIL are going to drive over from Houston and spend the weekend there as well. Should be a fun party and we can sleep all the way home!

LJ3
05-16-2014, 02:35 PM
We did one to NYC once. I'll just say you get what you pay for :) That was our experience anyway. I wouldn't do it again.

Thumper
05-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks a LOT Debbie Downer! ;)

Yeah, I'm having a hard time understanding how this is gonna work, but heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I suppose if it sucks on the way there ... we could always rent a car to come home. We'd only be out $2.50 for the bus. ;)

LJ3
05-16-2014, 03:29 PM
It seemed like it could be hit or miss depending on the bus you get. I can tell you the megabusses we see around here aren't all shiny and new looking.... or smelling... or operating :) Bring alcohol and don't sit in the back half of the bus so you don't have to smell when someone drops a deuce back there :)

You're welcome :)

Thumper
05-16-2014, 03:32 PM
We were told no alcohol allowed. ;)

Man-o-man, you sure know how to kill a party! :banghead

LJ3
05-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Just be discreet. Over half our bus was drinking. Everyone brought coolers with food and alcohol in it. Our bus driver didn't give a crap, I can tell you that.

I hope your experience is better than ours! :) I would have posted here while we were riding but sharing a tiny 3G wireless connection with an entire busload of people with cell phones, iPads and laptops made the internet access unusable :)

Thumper
05-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Now I'm askeered. :(

LJ3
05-16-2014, 08:21 PM
I think you have the attitude and outlook to make a fun adventure out of it and maybe my couple of experiences were local to here, who knows! If things get dicey, break out some weed and start making friends :)