PDA

View Full Version : Sunset and sunrise

LJ3
05-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Here's a sunset I shot tonight. Looked up and saw it leaving the grocery store and hauled ass down to the local reservoir. Now I gotta get up well before sunrise to go hit the bay and catch monster stripers in the morning.

Thumper
05-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Here's a sunset I shot tonight. Looked up and saw it leaving the grocery store ....

What was it doing at the grocery store?? :confused:

Niner
05-18-2014, 04:29 AM
Good luck with the strippers.

LJ3
05-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Boom!

0'dark:30 to 0'dark:30 Fishing was tough but it was a beautiful day and a great time!

Captain
05-18-2014, 10:36 PM
Nice Archer report there LJ? How many did y'all boat? Details man details...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Egghead
05-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Maybe this will help: 11 hours, 55 minutes, 49.8 miles - most at 1.9 knots... :)

BarryBobPosthole
05-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Speaking of knots.....I see a knot head holding a fish. And a dang nice one too!

Now I gotta know, what kind of unit do you have that superimposes your GPS track on Google Earth? Does it do that real time or did you add it later? I gots to have one of those. You sure made some big long trolling loops? (I see some crazy Ivans in there. Must've been where you caught fish) Were you looking for baitfish, structure, what? what you trolling?

BKB

LJ3
05-19-2014, 09:40 AM
I know a few of the answers :) He has an app that publishes your GPS track in the google maps format, app runs on his phone and he also has a handheld GPS.

We did numerous crazy ivans based on where previous fish had been caught, what the charter boat fleet was doing, seeing baitballs with fish underneath them, where we thought the fish were, etc. The farthest point east was the very edged of the shipping channel and they're almost always at some particular depth between the shipping channel and either shore.

Though, doing a crazy ivan takes a really long time when you have a trolling spread with 19 freaking lines out! It was fun as hell and it's fun to learn all that news stuff as well.

I forgot how good looking I was until I saw that picture. Holy crap but I'm holding up remarkably well!

I got me a bag full of huge filet that will be cooked a few different ways this evening!

Egghead
05-19-2014, 09:47 AM
The unit is a Garmin GPSMap 7212, but the key is to download the tracks to the computer using a CD card and Garmin's MapSource software. Then I save the file as a GPX file and use this website:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth
to create a KMZ file which loads in Google Earth. From there I used the "Edit>Copy Image" function in Earth, pasted into Paint, and voila.

The reason we had long loops (the southern track out of the marina was our start), was that once we got out and started settings lines, there was a 10-15 knot wind with 2 footers and the occasional 3 foot wave out of the North. So that first track due north was all about heading into the waves while we got lines out, then a turn southeast for following seas, a rough turn back into the wind and not much east-west trolling to be had (our preference - it is called collision fishing and we're trying for the last post spawn monsters heading out of the bay and back into the sea). Later, the winds laid down and that's when we could troll wherever we wanted. That jumble of lines is us going over previous successful spots, areas where we marked or caught fish yesterday or days past.....

We had 20 lines out, a mixture of tandems, umbrellas and daisy chains - all heavy tackle.

Len - post that picture that you got with the panorama of lines (the one from the bow that shows all the lines out). We had 18 lines and 2 dummy lines off the aft cleats.
Edit to add that Len DID post the pic with all the lines out... D'oh!

LJ3
05-19-2014, 09:49 AM
http://www.goodhunting.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=3029&d=1400463389

BarryBobPosthole
05-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Yeepin' Yiminy! Be my luck I'd hook a jack or something that'd tangle every line in the boat. You get many triples or doubles? I'll bet that's like a Chinese fire drill.

BKB

Thumper
05-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Ummm, Egghead ... yours is bigger'n Len's. (just noticin') :D

Bwana
05-19-2014, 12:56 PM
So how on God's green earth do you keep from tangling lines with all those lines out at one time?!?

The other question is, how do those poor fish stand a chance? They doze off for a split second only to find themselves skewered by a wall of tackle.