PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Co9 ... I had a weenie for ya'!

Thumper
05-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Lynn and I came back through Hotlanta yesterday and had to keep up our tradition of always stopping at The Varsity on the way through. Dang! We thought since we missed the lunch rush (didn't hit Atlanta until 3:00 pm) that there wouldn't be much of a crowd. WRONG! It took us 1/2 hour to find a parking space, but we were determined. Besides, I promised myself I'd eat an extra chili dog in your honor. Anyway, we finally got inside to get in line around 3:30 and only had a "few" people ahead of us. ;)

Captain
05-26-2014, 01:07 PM
I ain't fighting a crowd like that for NO hot dog. Even if they is giving them away!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

jb
05-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Amen to that brother !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumper
05-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Ya' bunch'a danged old curmudgeons ... ya' ain't lived 'til you've heard the shouting of ... "What'll ya have? What'll ya have? What'll ya have? What'll ya have?" :D

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gJD3_1k3rps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Captain
05-26-2014, 02:53 PM
The picture was bad enough, the video sealed the deal. I cannot STAND a place that loud and yelling going on...
I like to be able to hear and all that noise would drive me off the deep end.
Rest assured I'll never have a dog from that place.

Thumper
05-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Ya' danged OLD man! The place has been kicking ass for 86 years so I guess there are a few people out there who like it. :D

It's an icon ... one o'those ya' got's ta' do it at LEAST once kind'a deals even if it's just a "been there, done that" thing for ya'.

It's been a tradition for us for many, many years ... if we're in Atlanta for any reason, we almost always make time for a dog or two at The Varsity! Heck, when I first started going, ol' Erby Walker still worked there. He started when he was a 15 year old kid and worked there 'til the day he died after he'd been there for 55 years! If you never got to meet ol' Erby, you ain't lived. "What'll ya have? What'll ya have? What'll ya have? What'll ya have?" ;)

Captain
05-26-2014, 05:08 PM
I'm sure there are millions of folks that like that kinda place and the noise. I'm not one. I like a calm, quite place. I want to know who is around me and be able to hear. I don't even care for the sports bars that have a zillion TV's blasting and everyone trying to talk above it.
I don't go to shopping malls around Christmas time for the same reasons....
I think it has something to do from being a cop for 30 years. I like to know my surroundings and being able to hear. The crowd and noise makes me unsettled, overwhelms my senses to where I cannot relax. And I certainly would not enjoy, in any way food in a place like that.

Niner
05-26-2014, 08:34 PM
We NEVER go inside. Whenever we go there we ALWAYS park in the curbservice area and give our order to one of the "carhops". That way we don't even have to get out of the car!!!

Chicken Dinner
05-26-2014, 08:43 PM
I love me some Greasy V, but there's no way I'm waiting in that line for it.

Big Muddy
05-26-2014, 08:44 PM
I'm with ya Cap....there is absolutely nothing that anyone can do with or to a hot dog that would prompt me to wait in that long line or try to sit there and enjoy a meal.

Well, maybe "Debbie Does A Dallas Dog"....I might wait in line to watch that. ;)

Thumper
05-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Ha! We take it in stride as part of the experience. We normally stand and converse with others in line and generally make a party of it. Hint: We also know the secret. Most of those in line are tourists. They walk in the door, see the line ... and get in it. We, on the other hand, are Varsity veterans and simply walk to the back side of the place (toward the front sidewalk) and get in the short line that's always there. There are a zillion lines/cash registers ... ya' just go deep into the bowels of the joint and grab a short line. The "tourists and uninformed" don't know they exist. ;)

No wait! I know how to change you old curmudgeons grumpy ways ... presidents and movie stars eat here ... this guy will prolly change your mind and make you want to stop in for a slaw dog! :D

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N5fWeVzQnZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Niner
05-27-2014, 05:16 AM
In addition to the original location downtown, they have several locations in the "suburbs".
ALSO, they now have a location at the airport. It's on the concourse that Southwest Airlines uses.
When we fly out to Houston, it seems that the majority of the time our gate is near The V. Makes for a good pre-flight meal! Some Chili Dogs and some Potato Flavored Grease Sticks....and a Frosted Orange drink.

http://www.thevarsity.com

Captain
05-27-2014, 05:33 AM
I KNOW you didn't post that link as evidence to help CHANGE my mind.
That really sealed the deal...

Thumper
05-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Awww, come on Cappy ... haven't you heard of "Hope and Change"? You mean it didn't work? I'm beginning to think you're "hopeless" and will never "change"! ;)

Yeppers 9'er ... I know they've opened a bunch of 'em over the years. Personally, I've never been to one other than the original. I guess it's more of a "tradition" than actually going to eat. Yep, you hit it on the head with the chili dogs and that "liquid orange dreamsicle" ... I trade the tater's for the rings though.