PDA

View Full Version : Score!

Thumper
05-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Lynn and I went to Alabama over the weekend just to "get away" and stopped at the lost luggage place that we love to frequent. I used to pick up 60-70 garage door remotes for $2.00 each every time we stopped there and I'd sell them for $15-$30 ea. (depending on model) on eBay. Heck, it would pay for our expenses and I'd still make a nice little profit. BUT ... some jerk-off local dude caught on to my idea and he drops in daily to grab every one they have, so I've been looking for a new niche. I buy all the razors they have also, but it seems most people travel with disposables, so it's really hit and miss. I've scored a few nice ones, but they're far a few between. The last two trips, I've just picked up various odds & ends with no particular target item in mind. I can usually cover our expenses plus make a bit of profit, so it's usually a fun and FREE weekend.

This last trip, I was digging around and picked up a few oddball items, but nothing real exciting. Then on Saturday morning, they rolled out a cart stuffed FULL of GPS units. I mean, there must have been 150 of 'em! They were marked as a Memorial Day clearance special for $10 each ... PLUS I got an extra 10% off for being a veteran! Problem was, a bazillion people swarmed the table and it was a free-for-all! Dude's arms, hands and elbows were flyin' like a 90% off sale in the womens shoe department! Every man for himself! There were Garmins, Tom-Tom's, etc, but the only unit I'm familiar with is Garmin, so I started scanning the model numbers as fast as possible and grabbed every LM or LMT (Lifetime Maps/Lifetime Maps & Traffic) units I could get my hands on. I had quite a bit of competition, but I managed to snag 14 units at $9 each! (all large 4.3" or 5" screens) I figured the free lifetime update units were the hot ticket and they'll bring an easy $50 apiece all day long on eBay. I got some good deals on a few other items, so it looks like I easily covered the weekend expenses again, plus I had a lot of fun doing it. :D

Big Muddy
05-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Good beans there, Thump....heck, you got $5 worth of zip lock bags there, too. ;)

Niner
05-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Man oh man!!!
Di and I are gonna HAVE to take a ride over there one Saturday.

Good thinking grabbing the Garmins. I think they are prolly the "gold standard" of GPS units.

Thumper
05-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Bill, we've actually been a little disappointed the last couple of trips. If you're looking for something specific like laptops, iPads, etc etc etc ... it may be a good deal. It's also a lot closer to you, but for us, it's quite a trip and we've noticed a decline in the "lost luggage" aspect. It's starting to look like a lot of "inventory buy-outs" ... like a Big Lots store or something. My assumption is, with the new airline policies and them charging to check luggage, there is a LOT less lost luggage nowadays. Instead of people packing everything under the sun and having their checked bags get lost ... I think they're now cramming what they need in a carry-on and there's no way those would get lost unless they get off the plane and forget they had luggage with them! There seems to be a lot of "fillers" now that we never saw before.

Of course that's purely speculation on my part. We still have fun, but the past couple of trips have been a bit disappointing compared to previous trips. It's still worth a look-see since it would just be a day trip for you and Di. If you do decided to go ... I can give you some pointers. There's a science to it believe it or not and Lynn and I have it pretty well perfected! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
05-29-2014, 02:15 PM
I have a Garmin Nuvi with lifetime maps on it. Now both of our vehicles have Nav systems and I don't have any use for the old Nuvi. you mean its only worth $50? Man I think I paid like $500 for it.

BKB

Captain
05-29-2014, 03:33 PM
I have a Garmin Nuvi with lifetime maps on it. Now both of our vehicles have Nav systems and I don't have any use for the old Nuvi. you mean its only worth $50? Man I think I paid like $500 for it. BKB

I'll give you a coon hound and a case pocketknife for it Posty...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
05-29-2014, 04:04 PM
If the coon hound can find his way home you might have a deal.

BKB

Thumper
05-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Yeah P-hole, I paid $900 for the one I used in my truck and it's basically worthless now although it still works as well as it did when new. These all sold for $150 - $210 and are basically still "new" ... but you know how prices on "used" electronics goes. Heck, when they're updated I don't know how they're any different than a new one off the shelf to be honest.

Bwana
05-29-2014, 11:01 PM
What are you asking for one of those units Thump?

Thumper
05-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Fifty bucks Bwana. The newer one's usually need a micro SD card for the updates since they soak up so much memory. I can add a card for $10 (my cost) and do all the updates here before shipping to make sure everything works as it should ... Or if you already have a card, you can do it yourself. It needs to be no less than 4GB and no more than 8GB. They also don't have the windshield mounts, but those can be purchased on eBay for under $5.00. Problem is, at that price, they're shipped out of China and may take a few weeks to arrive. The manuals can be downloaded on the Garmin website if ya' need one.

Give me a holler if you'd like one ... they're flying off the shelves pretty fast and I'm down to 8 units right now.

BarryBobPosthole
05-30-2014, 08:20 AM
You can get those windshild monts at Best Buy too.

BKB

Thumper
05-30-2014, 08:57 AM
You can get those windshild monts at Best Buy too.

BKB

Yeah, but they have the Garmin name on 'em ... about $20-$30 friggin' bucks depending on model.

On-line, you can get windshield mounts, bean bag mounts ... even a/c vent mounts etc. for just a few bucks.

BarryBobPosthole
05-30-2014, 09:13 AM
It must depend on the unit. The one I bought for my Nuvi was ten bucks I think. Of course all it was, was a rubber suction cup with a ball that the unit snapped on.

BKB

Thumper
05-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Maybe so. I was at Best Buy yesterday to look at their SD cards as they had a "fantastic sale" on them. Out of two racks, they only had one left. Then I went to Wally World and found the same item (NOT on sale) even cheaper. While at Best Buy I happened to glance at the windshield mounts and saw one for $30 ... I didn't look any farther. So ... I'm sure there are cheaper ones ... I simply didn't look that hard. Many of my units have the thingy the ball socket on the mount plugs into ... just no mount itself. I guess people don't take the mounts when they travel (?).

Bwana
05-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Thump, I will take one with a card if any are left. Let me know the details to get you the funds.

Thumper
05-31-2014, 01:33 PM
Ok Bwana. I just did a complete update on a unit with lifetime map updates included. (Software and Maps updated 05/31) I believe they allow up to four updates per year if any are available. It comes with the 4.3" screen and maps for the lower 48 states as well as Hawaii & Puerto Rico. It also has the cigarette lighter plug and bracket for the ball mount (I have no mount). I'll also send it with the battery fully charged.

By time I get your snail mail addy, I'll probably miss today's mail pick-up, so it'll probably go out on Monday. Send your mailing addy to: thumper1952@verizon.net

Did you ever decide on what winch you're buying? I can slip the GPS in the same box with the Black Max and save the $5 shipping! :D

quercus alba
05-31-2014, 01:57 PM
What's the 1952 stand for? That your graduation date?

Captain
05-31-2014, 02:56 PM
What's the 1952 stand for? That your graduation date?

That was the year he lost his virginity, he was 38 that year... :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
05-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Nuttin' but a bunch'a smart-assed punks around this joint! ;)

Bwana
06-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Will do Thump & thanks.

Going to pass on the BM though.

Now, how much do I owe you & where should I send it?

Bwana
06-01-2014, 07:23 PM
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but spent the weekend camping in the North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park with 4 others families. A great place made even better by almost no cell coverage.

Thumper
06-01-2014, 08:39 PM
E-mail sent.