PDA

View Full Version : Another Busy Weekend

BarryBobPosthole
05-29-2014, 08:45 AM
My Mom's side of the family is having our family reunion this weekend. My Mom had nine brothers and sisters and I guess they started having these when I was four or five years old. With some of my uncles being career service men their families were often overseas so it was the exception when all ten brothers and sisters were there but man they were some big shindigs. Lots of food, lots of adults sitting around talking and telling stories, and lots of cousins playing baseball and horseshoes. Many of the first cousins were close in age and a couple of my uncles would carry some of us boys to the Illinois River in eastern Oklahoma for a week of camping and fishing after the reunion. Some of my cousins are more like brothers than they are cousins as a result. My Mom is the last of the line, as all of her sibs have passed away, so these are very important to her. My sister has taken over the organizer role and this year we're having it at a really pretty little lake called Lake Fort Smith near Fort Smith, Arkansas. The first cousins and families have rented all of the cabins there for the weekend so we'll get to do a little fishing and a little socializing and not have to be in a hurry to leave for home. Most of the talk on facebook on the family page has been about eating, which is VERY typical for my family. I'm smoking a brisket and some bologna and probably will take a bunch of other stuff too.
Reunions have been more work than enjoyment for me the past several years, but this year I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not sure why. Maybe as I get older I get more nostalgic, I dunno. Anyway, after this past Memorial Day weekend that was a great family get together on my wife's side of the family at my house, this week its another side. Then in a couple of weeks its vacation time! Then a float on the Current River in July, Dogtooth in August, my 60th in mid august, and before you know it, the summer will be shot in the ass!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
05-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Good stuff. Are you going to get to show off that new grandbaby, paw paw?

BarryBobPosthole
05-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Nah, that was last weekend when my wife's side of the fam dambly was here. He had a good time though. Those girl cousins made over him like he was Elvis and he loved every minute of it.

BKB