PDA

View Full Version : I don't talk about cooking much ..... BUT ...

Thumper
05-31-2014, 06:57 AM
I have to pass this one on. Back in the late 70's, I worked at a Cadillac dealer in Hollywood, Ca. Down the street was a gourmet hamburger joint that a few of the guys and I would frequent for lunch ... maybe once/week or so. It was reasonably priced and the burgers were made to order. They had a big menu board on the wall and I remember they had all sorts of weird sounding burgers, but I usually stuck with the "norm". One burger on the board intrigued me ... a peanut butter and jelly burger! I asked the owner one day if that was a serious menu item, or simply a joke. He said it's very popular and I should try one. I politely declined and he said, "Tell you what, I'll make one for you and if you don't like it, I'll make whatever you want and won't charge you for the PB&J burger." Heck, what do I have to lose other than a little time? It was a bacon cheeseburger with creamy peanut butter and grape jelly ... and I LOVED it! From that day forward, it's the only burger I ever ordered there.

Over the years I kind of forgot about it, but yesterday Lynn and I were talking about something (don't remember what) and for some odd reason, that burger came to mind. I told her about it and she said she'd make one for me for supper. WOW! It not only brought back great memories, but it will now be a regular request. I'd forgotten how good they are! TRUUUUUST me, there's NOTHING not to like ... other than maybe the sound of it. If you're even half way adventurous with your food choices, put this on your "must try" list! I found this recipe on the net. I'm not sure why he has you cook it in a ball and smash it ... I was always told NOT to do that as it squeezes all the juices out ... but "maybe" that's the point ... maybe it shouldn't be too juicy. (???)

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bacon Cheeseburger

Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 8 mins Total time: 23 mins
Serves: 1

Ingredients:

½ lb ground chuck
½ tsp salt, to taste
3 slices of Nueske's bacon, or your favorite, cooked
2 tbsp reserved bacon grease
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 sturdy hamburger bun, lightly toasted
2 slices of medium cheddar cheese
3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
3 tbsp grape jelly

Burger Instructions:

Start by gently forming your ground chuck into a ball. Season with half of the salt.
Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium to medium high heat. Add in the reserved bacon grease and let the come up to a light smoke.
Add the ball of ground chuck, salt side down, and let that get nice and hot, cooking for about 3 minutes, left alone.
During this time, spread the butter onto the bun, and toast on a skillet. Once toasted, remove and set it to the side.
After three minutes, use a large, sturdy burger spatula and smash it down. Literally smash it down, spreading it out if you have to, but try not breaking up the ground chuck. Let this cook for another minute or so, sprinkle with the remaining salt, then flip. You will end up with some great caramelization on the patty. Cook another few minutes, then top with the cooked bacon, and top that with the cheddar cheese. Lower the heat.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bacon Cheeseburger:

While the steam and fat melt that cheese, spread the grape jelly on the bottom bun. Spread the peanut butter on the bottom of the top bun.
Use the spatula to remove the burger, gently tilting to remove any residual burger grease. Lay this onto the jelly, and top with the peanut butter bun. Gently push down so that the peanut butter begins to melt.

Take a picture, do whatever, but get excited. Get very excited, then take a bite. Again, call me crazy, but this burger had everything I ever wanted in a burger. You get that creamy, warm peanut butter that gets perfectly balanced by the smokey bacon and salty cheese, then kabaam! You get this awesome, perfect sweetness from the jelly. This has that sweet, savory, umami that one would only want, and expect in a great burger.

Captain
05-31-2014, 07:15 AM
What you smokin' down there in Florida? Jelly and peanut butter on a hamburger.....
Next thing you know you gonna put pimiento cheese and raw fish on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2014, 09:01 AM
I bet the combination of sweet and salty would be pretty good. My old man was always a fan of a peanut butter and ham sandwich on toast. So, maybe I have a warped perspective...

DeputyDog
05-31-2014, 09:30 AM
A local restaurant here has a burger on the menu with peanut butter on it. I haven't tried it, but I've heard it's pretty good.

quercus alba
05-31-2014, 09:38 AM
There are some things that should be left alone. A bacon cheeseburger is one of them. Adding peanut butter and jelly could cause ramifications of cosmic proportions

Thumper
05-31-2014, 02:03 PM
CD, whenever I have breakfast (which is rarely) and there is the usual ... eggs, bacon/ham w/toast ... I always end up putting PB&J on the toast, then throwing everything else on it and eat my breakfast like a big ol' sammich! 'Course, if I have grits with it, the bacon and eggs go on top of the grits (preferably cheese grits) and then I chop it all up into one big ol' pile of eggsgrits&bacon! ;)

One of my dad's favorites was either a peanut butter & banana sammich or mayonnaise & banana sammich. So maybe I have that same "warped perspective". BUT ... the PB&J burger was not MY idea ... it was on the menu and the owner talked me into trying it. I "would" have sided with youse nay sayers before actually trying it.

Captain
05-31-2014, 02:33 PM
I had a cheeseburger once that had a fried egg on it. Believe it or not it was great....
But jelly and peanut butter???? Not

Big Muddy
05-31-2014, 02:50 PM
Every morning, I eat a buttermilk biscuit with a venison sausage patty and grape jelly stuffed inside.

Just for the h3ll of it, I'm gonna try some peanut butter on it, tomorrow morning.

Years ago, in the food court of the Mall of Memphis, there was a little shop that specialized in fresh crushed peanut butter.

Next trip up that way, it was closed down, and I've never seen one of those shops, before or since.

They had a machine with a clear bin on it, and they ground up the peanuts, right in front of you, then weighed out your purchase....no additives or anything....just pure natural peanut butter....talk about good stuff !!!

Big Muddy
05-31-2014, 03:16 PM
What you smokin' down there in Florida? Jelly and peanut butter on a hamburger.....
Next thing you know you gonna put pimiento cheese and raw fish on one.

Cap, on a dare, while in college and somewhat under the influence of adult beverages, I ate a can of sardines, stirred into some chocolate pudding....about 5 minutes, after eating the concoction, it was "deposited" all over the sofa, in the dorm lobby....that little episode got me suspended from dorm life for a semester. ;)

Captain
05-31-2014, 03:44 PM
I can see where adult beverages would be needed. I love me some Sardines and chocolate pudding but it would take alcohol for me to mix em....

quercus alba
05-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Jelly on a sausage biscuit is acceptable but a bacon cheeseburger is sacred.

Thumper
05-31-2014, 06:32 PM
I was hitting estate sales all morning and when I got home, Lynn asked what I wanted for lunch. I said, "How 'bout a couple'a those PB&J burgers?" So, I had a couple more for lunch. Guess I'm trying to make up for lost time. ;)

Only one thought comes to mind ... don't knock it 'til you try it. You'll thank me later.