PDA

View Full Version : Three cheers for Okla. ........

Big Muddy
06-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Okla. Gov. Fallin signs bill repealing Common Core

June 6, 2014 by Watchdog 3 Comments

Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin on Thursday repealed the state’s controversial Common Core curriculum.

The “federal overreach tainted a Common Core program created with well-intentioned goals,” Fallin said. “President Obama and Washington bureaucrats have usurped Common Core in an attempt to influence state education standards.”

Common Core State Standards will be replaced with “new, more rigorous standards” by August 2016, according to House Bill 3399 signed by Fallin.

The governor has not decided whether to seek a waiver from federal strictures to support the process defined in the bill, her staff said

“We are capable of developing our academic standard that will be better than Common Core,” Fallin said in a prepared statement after signing the bill.

The federal government might threaten to pull education funds because of Fallin’s repeal, as Common Core supporters warned, but the governor and her spokesman, Alex Weintz, stressed that if the state is deprived of any federal monies, it will be only a portion of the total.

The measure had passed overwhelmingly in both chambers of the Legislature –- 78-19 in the House and 31-10 in the Senate, on the last day of the session

DeputyDog
06-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Indiana also decided to stop the implementation of Common Core earlier this year. Some of the questions that I've seen on my daughter's 3rd grade math homework had me perplexed. Hopefully they don't come up with something worse to replace it.

BarryBobPosthole
06-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Contrary to what a lot of people have been spreading around, Oklahoma doesn't receive any federal funding linked to common core. It was Fallin and her governor buddies at the Governor's Association that came up with Common Core to begin with. She is doing this purely because of the voter backlash. At least she listens. We'll have a new Education Superintendent when this next election comes around. The legislature hasn't helped education a bit in the budget for next year. Until then, they can test all they want and it won't help our schools. Its pitiful here in our schools.

BKB

Big Muddy
06-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Well, it appears that repealing it is catching on....South Carolina has jumped on the bandwagon, too.

BarryBobPosthole
06-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Well, it takes local control away from the teachers and parents. It also pits teachers against the state and stirs up the anti-union crowd. There's a whole bunch of higher priorities in Oklahoma schools ahead of standardized testimg.
BKB

Captain
06-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Well, it appears that repealing it is catching on....South Carolina has jumped on the bandwagon, too.

They have schools in SC? Wow, learn something new everyday...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner