PDA

View Full Version : Belmont stakes

BarryBobPosthole
06-09-2014, 10:46 AM
I'm not a horse person but I always like the annual three big races in the Triple Crown. My knowledge of horse racing extends to an annual bet with my cousin on the Kentucky Derby where I usually pick the inner of the Arkansas Derby automatically and he picks some longshot and if one of our horses places in the top three we buy the other one a case of beer the next time we go fishing.

But the reaction of the owner of California Chrome to his loss in the Belmont kind of makes sense in a weird sort of way but then reality kicks in and you realize he's just a sore loser.

None of the other great Triple Crown winners had the advantage of running only against horses that had earned the points to race in the Derby and had run it. They took on all comers in progressively longer and tougher races and sometimes in vastly different track conditions and they beat them all. simple as that. The reaction of the owner is disappointing because it reflects on the horse, who is obviously a really good friggin' horse.

BKB

HideHunter
06-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Covers my thoughts on the subject very well. I too, thought, "Well, he has a point." - until I thought it out. (sometimes I skip that part.) ;) I don't profess to begin to understand the "breeding" of the thoroughbred but I once "wondered" why the times haven't improved over the years like in all (most) "human" sports. Seems the gene pool is pretty shallow and virtually every one in existence today can trace its breeding back to one horse. Due to "line breeding" the horse today are very much the same horses they were 200 years ago.

LJ3
06-09-2014, 12:54 PM
That dude seems like Donald Sterling's long lost brother... or Jimmy... Or Bucky... curmudgeonly, as it were :)

Captain
06-09-2014, 01:05 PM
You know the guy might have had a point. However he should have been smart enough to realize there was not a way to express it without sounding like he was sniveling.

Sometimes it's best to just suck it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

DeputyDog
06-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Maybe if he had a problem with the system he should have spoken up before he lost then it wouldn't have looked like whining. But I bet he was pretty confident he was going to win so why buck the system.