PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report

Trav
06-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Well it was a long week but I got back home from Seattle on Sunday. Monday through Wednesday was work and then Wednesday evening the vacation began. Had dinner with Bwana and his wife Wednesday and they are great people. Thursday Hombre's brother and I just chilled around his house until he got of work. Around 5 we headed south to Kalama, Washington to fish for King Salmon. We got up early Friday morning and fished hard all day and were rewarded with 8 bites of which we were able to land 7. I am not sure if any of you have ever fished for kings in Washington but you are only allowed to keep the non native fish (Hatchery born). We only caught 2 non native all the rest were natives. Here are a few pics. The big fish of they day was the one I am holding in my red sweatshirt it was about 25# and by far my largest fish caught on a rod & reel.

Bwana
06-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Color me jealous!

BarryBobPosthole
06-10-2014, 09:19 AM
That's a biggun' Trav! Did you get to bring any of that home with you?

BKB

Trav
06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
yeah, I brought that whole salmon home and I stole some halibut and ling cod from Hombre but don't tell him. Actually he was kind enough to let me have it since he had plenty and is going fishing in Alaska in August.

BarryBobPosthole
06-10-2014, 09:48 AM
He'd just probably eat it raw if he kept it. I can't get past the idea of what a ling cod looks like to even consider eating it.

I have some good seasoned pecan if you need it. and a spot on my smoker too if you need that! Of course I'll have to do some field testing.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
06-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Sounds like a great trip. If it's the same fish from the East Coast, that ling cod cooks up on the smoker real nice.

Captain
06-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Damn you mean they can look at a King Salmon and tell where he was born? Perhaps we could get them folks to eyeball our president! :D
Sounds like one hell I a trip. Congrats on the nice fish. I sure would like to give them boys a try myself.
Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Trav
06-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Cappy, on the hatchery fish they cut off the adipose fin, see below. 3095

Hombre
06-11-2014, 10:48 AM
It was an awesome trip. Sunny's right about the weather but it is hitting the time of year that I love here. July and August will typically be in the mid 70s and have the every few day pop up into the 80s. It wasn't the exact fishing trip I wanted to set up for the guys when they came down, my preference would have been the Halibut and Cod trip, but it worked out nicely.

For me a lot of the fishing is done at this point, and its on to crab season.

Hombre