PDA

View Full Version : Something to talk about

Arty
06-11-2014, 06:59 PM
I gotta tell you...this place has been an absolute bore lately. Geez, I can't even waste more than 10 minutes of work time around here lately!

So... I decided to kill some time talking about me. Here's the latest for those who wanna know...and for those that don't. :exclaim

Memorial day weekend the whole family loaded up the the F150 to the gills and we took off to Bath County, VA...Lake Moomaw to be specific. Arrived around 5:30, set up camp, and my brother and SIL arrived a few minutes later. We got a fire going and shortly after that my FIL showed up. We had perfect weather, a nice quiet secluded spot, and we camped in the pop-up longer than we've stayed in it since we bought it. 6 days/5 nights was a nice long trip away from everything. We DID catch cell service up on top of a mountain on one of the hikes we took. That's about the bestest thing about that place.....you in the middle of nowhere. No service for cell phones, an hour + from a Wal-mart.
My FIL and brother did make an emergency run over the mountain one night for some brown liquor, they were hittin' it pretty hard and ran out! I don't drink liquor, but being the swell guy I am, I rode along with them. We hiked a lot. My wife's "Fit-bit" says we hiked 12 miles. We fished. We ATE. We drank. We swam. We rented a pontoon and took that thing all over the lake. Beautiful country.

We came back from that trip on 5/28. Had a free weekend at home so I spruced up some flower beds, got 2 truckloads of mulch, trimmed the knockout roses (for the 2nd time this year!) and caught a nice cool night down at the firepit.

Work has been a bear. Lots of (local) travel. I live for the weekends, they don't come fast enough. Mid week last week, I finally found a car for my son that A) fit into my budget, and B) was in good enough condition mechanically for me to consider getting it. So...last Wednesday the guy selling it met me in town, and I took it for a spin. Ran good. Looked GREAT. AWESOME price. One owner, no accidents, service records, the whole deal. I gave him a check, and told him I'd meet him that Friday to pick it up (he lives 80 miles from here and drove it down for the test drive). SO......Friday comes a long and we get the car. It's at a friends storage lot...My son has no idea we have it, nor is he expecting a car for his birthday (his party is next Saturday, 6/21). Looking for a car for my kiddo was a lot of fun. I enjoyed every minute of it! I've heard all angles from different friends and family, from "That's awesome!" to "He'll wreck it" to "He won't appreciate things when he grows up".... well I don't really give a shit. I can afford it, he's a good kid, I love him to death, so I did it. And I can NOT WAIT to see his face when I pull this car up in to the driveway during his big party weekend after next!!! Besides that, he's been saving a car for about for 3 years...he actually did pay for about a forth of it...he just doesn't know that yet! But once he gets his keys, I gets his money!:hello

So last Saturday comes along and both of our boys are at a friends house for the weekend, so the wife and I take off to Wilmington, NC to stay with her sister, and our soon to be BIL. We had a good time. Went downtown and had some drinks and dinner, hung out and in general had a good time in a very rare kid free weekend.

THEN Monday comes...back to the same ole' shit...work work work. I bought some tomato stakes yesterday for my maters. They are in cages, but have outgrown them and need some extry support. BUT it's been raining so I haven't put them in yet. Maybe tomorrow.

And now comes Wednesday evening....mid week has passed and I'm on the downhill slide of the week. Just had pork chops, bakes taters, fresh mixed veggies and a big glass of ice tea for dinner, made by the bestest wife in the world.

Looking forward to this weekend, when we head to Kill Devil Hillls, NC for a 3 day Father's Day weekend on the beach.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

BarryBobPosthole
06-11-2014, 07:25 PM
You are a man of many parts Arty! And just about all of 'em sound like fun! You know you have Thumper perving on your wife now don't you?

BKB

jb
06-11-2014, 07:41 PM
You don't look old enough to be the father of a 16 year old kid.
Glad you can spend time with the family, they grow up way to fast.

Chicken Dinner
06-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Sounds like a good time. We spent Memorial Day weekend with a couple of other families at James River State Park. We ha a grant total if 6 adults, 8 kids aged 10-14 and 4 dogs. The total count for the weekend was: 1. One speeding/wreckless driving ticket; 2. One no seatbelt ticket; 3. One case of Lyme disease; 4. One blood infection; and 5. One ruptured patella tendon. On the upside, none of hear happened to me.:D

Thumper
06-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Great report Arty. Sounds like work is a drag but you're making the most of your free time. And thanks for the reminder ... you mentioned Father's Day and I've been so busy I had no clue it was coming up. BUT .... as I glanced at the calendar and saw the date, something popped into my pointy little head. Our 29th anniversary is on Saturday. Dang! If it weren't for your post, I'm pretty sure I'd have forgotten all about it and would have ended up in the same dog house Big Sky occupied a few years ago.

Guess I need to start thinking about a nice dinner and maybe pick up a card. Thanks for saving my ass! :D

Arty
06-12-2014, 10:35 AM
My pleasure thump.
Make sure to wash your crusty arse too. Ya might get lucky. Who knows, it could happen!

BarryBobPosthole
06-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Careful Arty. Old folks can be just like old cars. Sometimes its the crust that's holding them together.

BKB

Thumper
06-12-2014, 10:44 AM
I think a collective "Bite Me" is in order here. ;)

Trav
06-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Great report Arty. Sounds like work is a drag but you're making the most of your free time. And thanks for the reminder ... you mentioned Father's Day and I've been so busy I had no clue it was coming up. BUT .... as I glanced at the calendar and saw the date, something popped into my pointy little head. Our 29th anniversary is on Saturday. Dang! If it weren't for your post, I'm pretty sure I'd have forgotten all about it and would have ended up in the same dog house Big Sky occupied a few years ago.

Guess I need to start thinking about a nice dinner and maybe pick up a card. Thanks for saving my ass! :D

Not to start a fight but since you guys aren't married what exactly is it the anniversary of? I mean do you use the date of your first date, they day you moved in together?

Arty
06-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Any human being who could live with Thump for 29 years DESERVES some recognition. Married or not!

Thumper
06-12-2014, 11:12 AM
All the above Trav ... kind of a "one night stand" that turned permanent. She literally went home with me one night and never left! ;)

She's stuck with me through thick and thin. I'm a true asshole at times and she put up with all my "mid-life" crisis bullshit. Then when my health took a nose-dive, she was there for me and I have very little doubt I could have easily died without her there to pull me through.

I guess she's a keeper ... but that "M" word still scares me to death! :hair

I will say ... we've stuck it out through good times as well as the bad times (personal and financial) and have been together longer than most of our closest friend's marriages have lasted.

I'm sure it's my extreme handsomeness that she's attracted to. :D

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/315940_102478323197739_328329660_n.jpg

Trav
06-12-2014, 11:42 AM
we must have different definitions of handsomeness, lol

Thumper
06-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Heck, I can hardly wait 'til tomorrow .... 'cause I get better lookin' every day! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
06-12-2014, 12:10 PM
We all know what happens on anniversaries.........

Well, maybe now it happens when we renew our driver's licenses....

BKB

quercus alba
06-12-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't know how Lynn can see to walk as blind as she obviously is

Thumper
06-12-2014, 12:19 PM
She had Lasik surgery a few years back ... but by that time, it was too late and she was kinda-sorta obligated to stick around. ;)

Thumper
06-12-2014, 12:27 PM
We all know what happens on anniversaries......... Well, maybe now it happens when we renew our driver's licenses....

This is her "you're gonna get some tonight" look. :biggrin

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/305459_102481846530720_276512021_n.jpg

And her "WOW! That was WONDERFUL" look. ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/314983_102464686532436_158654849_n.jpg

Arty
06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
You are a straight up PERV

Big Muddy
06-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Is that a potato peeler, hanging on the wall behind her 2nd pic???....dang, boy, ya'll really like kinky sex, doncha??? ;)

Thumper
06-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Ha ha! Funny you should ask Edward. Actually, it's a towel rack in a hotel room in Honolulu, Hawaii. We were getting ready to go out and I had ONE shot left on a roll of film in my camera. She was at the bathroom sink in the hotel room and I snapped a quick pic so I could put a fresh roll of film in the camera. ;)

The pic above that was during a Western Caribbean cruise. She was shaking hands with the Captain of the cruise ship ... that's why I cut her arm off in the pic. ;)

Obviously, those were taken BEFORE I was living on disability checks and eBay proceeds. :(

Captain
06-12-2014, 06:49 PM
I recognize that look from the 2nd picture. Seen it many times, but I can not imagine where YOU would have gotten a picture of that look. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner