PDA

View Full Version : and so it goes...

HideHunter
06-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Thought just because everyone is "bored" I'd chronicle my ongoing fight with an old outboard motor (the motor is winning). First - I might confess - I am not a mechanic. I have never been a mechanic.. and I have no desire to be a mechanic. I know almost as much about motors as I do computers which is just "slightly" more than I know about women.

Couple years ago my dad bought a boat/motor/trailer sight virtually unseen. Early 80s vintage 35 horse Evinrude. It had been sitting for 4 years but the guy put a fresh battery and gas in it and it started right up. He said the only thing he had done to it was put on one new coil. Due to some unforeseen issues the thing sat another couple years. Finally, last year, Dad ask me to take it and run it and considering the wife had just retired - I thought just throw it in the river behind the house. I have a history with motors of all kinds. Truck motors are the only ones that don't seem to hate me with a passion. So, of course, when I tried it - it wouldn't start. Hauled it down to the mechanic. He tore the carburetor down, put fresh plugs in it, one new coil, water pump - hell I don't remember what all. Couple hundred bucks worth. Put it in the river. Ran like champ - for about two days. Started choking and puking and dying. Wouldn't idle at anything below half-throttle.

Hauled it to the mechanic.. I forget what he did - $136 worth. Put it in the river. Ran like a champ - for about two days. Started choking and puking. Wouldn't idle at anything below half-idle. Took it out and stored it for the winter. This spring - before I hauled it back to the mechanic I thought I'd charge the battery and put some fresh gas and Sea Foam through it. Put the muffs on the thing - hit the key - ran rough for a bit - smoothed out and sat there and idled like a champ.

Put it in the river.. will *always* start - ran good top end - immediately went into its choke and puke and die act. About the only thing I know about small motors is sometimes fresh plugs will fix them so I stopped at the shop and bought a couple. Told the mechanic what it was doing and he told me to fool with the rich/lean screw. Put the plugs in - adjusted the screw - helped immensely. Adjusted the screw some more and it ran perfectly - for about two days. Last night wife and I were fishing. I decided to head upriver - kicked it in the ass and it went.. well never mind how it went - it wouldn't wind up. Pretty sure its only hitting on one cylinder. Good thing is - I don't have quite as much money in the motor and he's got in the whole rig - yet. :toothy Course Dad wants to pay the bills - and I won't let him. I have, after all, got about 6 days of good running out of it in two years. ;)

"Boat - a hole in the water you throw money in."

Bust Out Another Thousand

and so it goes. . . I'd cry but people would laugh at me.

BarryBobPosthole
06-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Man I know some professional folks have looked at that motor, but it sure as hell sounds like there's air getting into your fuel line somewhere. You hooked to a jerry can? Next time it tries its sputtering act, squeeze its balls!....er ball and make sure the ball hasn't gone soft. If its getting air that's the symptom and it'll cause that sputtering and so forth you're mentioning. sometimes its just a pinhole or if its an older fuel line that been been stored a long time (hint hint) its a crack that doesn't look like a leak but it is.

That's all I got.

Otherwise sacrifice a brindle calf during the next full moon.....

BKB

Thumper
06-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Well, I AM a bit mechanically inclined ... but when it comes to outboards, they can be one of the most frustrating pos's I've ever taken a wrench to. I had an old Evinrude once that did much of what you're complaining about. One day it would run great and the next it just would not idle. Rev it up, slam it into gear and go became the order of the day. I HATE intermittent problems and would much rather experience a hard failure.

Since your mechanic has already gone through the carb, I doubt it's the same thing I FINALLY found, but it's worth a look-see. I'm going by memory from something I did LONG ago, but it's easy enough to check. There was a rubber seal around the idle jet that was worn. Sometimes it would leak ... sometimes it would have a decent seal ... so I had an intermittent problem that about drove me bonkers. Just for shits & grins, I'd take a peek at that seal. It also sounds like possible trash (rust, dirt, whatever) floating around in the fuel system somewhere that will move around and plug an orifice intermittently, but if your mechanic went through the carb, I'd have to think he flushed the fuel system ... but you know how that goes. Other than that ... I'm out'ta ideas. P.S. Did I say I HATE intermittent problems? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
06-12-2014, 12:05 PM
My big motor (225 Merc) does that same thing when I troll for a long time. It'll suck air some way and sputter and cough and won't rev. I just have to go for a run and blow the soot out of it and it runs fine for another 8 hours of trolling before it does it again.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
06-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Sounds like the way my ATV ran when the carb was shot from ethanol in the gas. A quick carb rebuild and it ran better than when it was new.

HideHunter
06-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Well - here's the latest. A couple others had mentioned the fuel/tank line. I did happen to have another line my bil had given me. Had a bad end on the intake line side but he gave me a new end too. Changed that out. Pumped fresh fuel through it. Hooked her up. Fired right up (as always) and still wouldn't wind up. I pulled the plugs (just because that's what you do - I had no idea what I was looking for). For some reason I reached down into the tool box and grabbed one of the plugs I had replaced a couple days ago. Different number.. hmmm.. Put the old plugs in - fired it up and it ran like a striped-assed ape.. Wanna bet for a couple days? ;) I cross referenced the numbers and I think he just flat gave me the wrong plugs. anyway:

Thanks for the ideas. I'll keep you informed.

Btw Thump.. My "other" bil (the one with the nice old 'vettes) is a trained mechanic. He farms full time and works on 90% of his own stuff from the biggest to the smallest. He says just pretty much the same thing about outboards you do. He can fix them.. but he hates working on them. ;)

Captain
06-12-2014, 06:38 PM
An outboard has the ability to make a feller loose his religion faster than anything under the sun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner