PDA

View Full Version : New Gander Mountain Store Coming To Town!!!!

Niner
06-16-2014, 07:37 AM
I am really stoked. I just THOUGHT I was excited when they announced that Academy Sports was coming to our little burg (http://www.academy.com/), but now I've gotten some even better news.

In the last week or so they've broken ground on a new Gander Mountain store here (http://www.gandermountain.com). It will be SO NICE to have one of these stores here!!! When I was just a lad back in the late '60s I can remember looking through their catalogs and ordering stuff from them....they've been around for a while. They are kindof like a BassPro....without the stuffed animals, or the fish tank....LOL.

Anyways.... I can't hardly wait for them to open up. Every year for Father's Day, we usually take a trek to one of the BassPro stores in GA...either up in Duluth on the north side of A-Town, or over in Macon. Well this year I did a "store locator" search and found that GM had opened a store about an hour's ride from here in the little town of McDonough, GA. SO, I said I wanted to go there and see their store. While there I talked for a while with one of the employees at the gun counter, and he said that he'd heard that our store was supposed to be getting an indoor shooting range!!! The only other GM store that I've been in is the one in Bowling Green, KY and it is a nice store as well.

The really neat thing is that this new Gander Mountain store is being built right across the street from the Dick's store here. I reckon they can go ahead and start planning their "going out of business" sale now.
:biggrin

jb
06-16-2014, 08:35 AM
We have one here also. They usually are very high in their pricing, on guns and ammo. Not sure on their fishing stuff.
The thing I like about them is they carry clothing in my size XXL tall, nice selection, best time to buy is at the end of each season, usually they show 40% off.
They will also price match, so if you find something at Dicks that limit you to only buy two of. (like some ammo) go across the street to Gander and get two more at the same price.
I also found out you can order what's on sale and get free delivery to the store.
This spring they had Remington Gun Club trap ammo on sale for $59 a flat, limit of two per customer, friend of mine who works there said I could order as many flat as I wanted at that price on line and have them delivered to the store, got on line and ordered 10 more flats and had them at the store the same week.
It's a nice place just to go in and walk around if you're bored and have nothing to do.

yellowk9
06-16-2014, 01:49 PM
We have one in N. Little Rock. I'm not a big fan. IMO they are very expensive on their gear (especially ammo). Like JB, I'll go in there to look around, but rarely walk out with anything unless it's on clearance. If I'm going to pay too much for something I'd rather give my money to a local mom and pop store. I'm honestly surprised our GM has stayed in business with the local sporting goods store across the street (you can hardly find a parking space there) and Bass Pro across town.

Bwana
06-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Don't have one here in town but they do in Fargo and have to say that yellowk9 is spot on for what I have found when I go there.

Thumper
06-16-2014, 02:13 PM
I think youse dufes are popping Co9's bubble. ;)

Niner
06-16-2014, 08:19 PM
No bubble busting here, Thumpster...

Before the Academy came to town, the only place in around to buy "supplies" was the WalMart.
While we were at the GM yesterday I perused their VAST lure selection.
I've been looking for some of those new Rapala Scatter Rap lures. The only ones that WalMart carries are the Crank ones and only in ONE color selection at that. IF I remember correctly they were just shy of $8 at the store.....however, I just did a search at their online store walmart.com and see that the only one they have for sale over there is $10.91!! (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rapala-Scatter-Rap-Shad-Lure-Firetiger-7cm/37420604)

I was able to find the Scatter Rap MINNOW lure at the GM yesterday. They didn't have the exact one(s) that I was looking for, but they DID have some in the color I was looking for...and a couple just happened to swim into my basket at $8.88 each.

Academy has some of their Scatter Raps on sale (Hot Deal as they call it) right now for $6.99. If you want them shipped to your house the shipping is FREE on orders over $39.00....and at that price it won't take very many lures to get to the free shipping point.

So I am looking forward to playing their sales against each other to see who will have the best prices on what on a given week.

I do remember one time we were on our way back from Louisville, and we stopped in at the GM in Bowling Green on a whim. It was in the winter towards the "end of the season". They had all manner of coats/vests/and winter stuff slashed waaaaay down to where they were just about "giving" the stuff away. Name brand stuff too.....North Face, Marmot, Mountain Hardware, etc..