PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a gun older than I am

jb
06-16-2014, 03:29 PM
and plan to shoot it a lot.
A local club throws a Pump Gun shoot every year. ATA targets, anyone can shoot but prizes go to people who shoot pump guns, singles, caps, and doubles.
I've been looking for a LH Model 12 for years so I could shoot this event but no luck.
Wanted something a little different from an 870. A few days ago my LCS showed me this.
Model 31 Remington. Over the years it had a few things done, new wood (laminated walnut, maple) 32" barrel with choke opened from full to imp. mode and at one time it was reblued.
Action is about the smoothest I've felt on any pump, shoots about 60/40.
I have the rest of this week to get use to shooting it, but should be a fun shoot.
According to the book I have, the Model 31 was made from 1931 to 1949, I was 4 years old when the last one was made, SN puts in about mid range between those dates.
Just like me, being old doesn't mean you can't be fun.:wink
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/Secret/001_zps57920303.jpg

Arty
06-16-2014, 03:36 PM
That's gorgeous! I love light colored stocks.

Thumper
06-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Speaking of the mod. 12, my hunting partner in Ohio uses a Model 12 for EVERYTHING. He's in his 70's and his dad bought it for him when he was something like 12 years old. It has hardly ANY bluing left on it and most of the barrel and almost all of the receiver is a shiny silver color these days. He uses it for deer season (slugs) and used it when we'd pheasant hunt. It's also his go-to rabbit gun. He has a whole cabinet full of newer guns, but he ALWAYS grabs that old Model 12 if we're using shotguns for anything.

He's also left-handed but I'll be darned if I can remember if it's a left-handed model or not. I "think" he shoots it right-handed if I remember correctly.

Penguin
06-16-2014, 04:47 PM
That's a very nice gun jb. My uncle had an original 31 for years and I always loved the feel and action of it.

Will