PDA

View Full Version : Why are our insurance rates so high?

Thumper
06-19-2014, 10:07 AM
I've been spending all week cleaning out my filing cabinets and shredding my old business records. I started my company in the late 80's and I just ran across this paperwork from 6 months after my start date. I'd hired a husband and wife team to handle a group of gas stations. He'd pressure clean and she'd repaint curbing around the store as well as the posts guarding the gas pumps. One day they were on the way to a job, had stopped behind a car waiting to make a left turn into a business and were rear-ended by another vehicle. There was no damage to my company truck and the only damage to the other vehicle was a dent in the bumper where it struck the trailer ball on my company vehicle. The driver stated she'd almost skidded to a complete stop before striking the truck and "barely hit it". Anyway, as I'm digging through the mound of paperwork created as a result of this "fender-bender", I read through the Workman's Comp. claim I had to deal with.

My (male) employee complained of "a constant headache (4-5 hours) after the accident and chronic "on & off" headaches in the days after the accident including neck and back pain.

His wife (a passenger in the vehicle) complained of a headache, neck/shoulder/arm as well as lower back and leg pain.

Also in the file are bills for a bazillion $$$ of chiropractic sessions as well as records of all the (paid) time taken off to "recover".

What a frigging crock! Who was the biggest crook ... my employees or their chiropractor?