PDA

View Full Version : Trial run was a success

Bwana
06-26-2014, 11:31 AM
As a follow-up to my question about which sonar/gps to buy I thought I would let you know what I ended up doing.

After talking to my f-i-l and an uncle about their Lowrance Elite-7's, which is what I had intended to buy, and then with input from here and others I ended up buying the Humminbird 859 DI. WAY more money then I wanted to spend on a unit but WAY less then what some of those units are going for. HOLY MOLY, I had no idea! If a person were so inclined you could easily have well over 2 grand and likely over 3 if you were so inclined!

Though I had no where NEAR that amount it was still a lot of coin for me so I took my time installing the unit in order to make sure I didn't screw something up. Last night we made a quick trip to the river to see if it worked and I am VERY happy to report that it did! Though it is throwing a rooster tail at high speeds, which means I need to make some minor tweaks, it seemed to be working quite nicely. This is the first GPS I have had in the boat and I am thinking it is going to come in real handy with the ever changing sandbars we have on the Missouri River as well as helping me find my way back to the ramp when going to places I have never been before, like Pierre, SD this weekend. Would have liked to have spent more time fine tuning the unit last night but a pending thunderstorm chased us off the water. For what it is worth my initial review of the unit is pretty positive. Though I hesitated about getting it I think the down-imaging feature is going to be a nice addition for sorting out what is seen on the standard sonar screen.

Anyway my hope is that this unit fits the bill and finds me LOTS of fish. ;)

Niner
06-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Good deal, Bwana.
I too decided on a fish finder for my little boat. I also went with a Humminbird unit. The unit I settled on was the 598ci HD SI. This unit has a GPS too. It also has the Side Imaging on it. Since I fish a lot of relatively shallow water, I thought that the Side Imaging would be beneficial to me. Of course I could be wrong.

It is "last year's model", and Academy Sports had them on clearance a couple of weeks ago. Still a pretty nice piece of change though.

It is still sitting in the den next to My Chair. I also bought a set of Smart Tabs for the boat to hopefully help with getting it up on plane ( http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX_automatic_trim_tabs.htm )....which are sitting next to My Chair too. I'll prolly get it all installed after the July 4th holiday.