PDA

View Full Version : Just ONE of my cool estate sale finds this weekend!

Thumper
06-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Well, at least this post started out as "one" ... but I got carried away and threw a few more items in here. ;)

I had a good weekend and would have had an EXCELLENT weekend if I'd grown some balls and spent some more money. I attended 4 sales, but one was intriguing with lots of cool "man stuff". The guy was an ex-pilot (don't know what kind ... commercial, private, hobby???) and had some cool aviation related stuff. He also had tons of gun related stuff ... old leather saddle scabbards/holsters, etc. He was also a polo player and I almost sprung for some of his old riding boots that had the coolest antique wooden shoe trees I've ever seen. (believe it or not, I've sold a ton of old wooden shoe trees/stretchers for some decent money). Problem was, they didn't want to sell the trees separately and I didn't really want to fool with the boots ... although I didn't research them as to value.

I did pick up a couple pair of loose trees ... four old trees for $0.50 each ... ONE identical pair just sold on The Bay a couple weeks ago for $40 ... a decent profit margin no matter how you look at it.

Anyway, I picked up a ton of odds & ends at that particular sale as well as a few small items from the others.

I also stumbled on an old AM radio from the mid-50's that I thought was cool and I bought it for a song. I've researched it and the sale prices are pretty crazy. One just sold for $100 and others have sold for prices all over the map ... from $100 to $695! This is from the era of big tail-finned cars and the space age/aeronautical look. I like that old "torpedo" dial. This radio powers up, but has that dang "hum" that is common with this era electronics ... so it most likely needs to be "recapped" (a normal procedure with old am radios, especially if they haven't been used for a while). Anyway, I think it's cool and after a bit of clean-up, I'll prolly list it in another week or two.

Thumper
06-29-2014, 09:23 AM
I also picked up a little figurine from a sale that was obviously one of those "little old lady" sales ... not much for me, but she had quality stuff and you have to keep an open mind, so I came home with a few items ... including this little CAT! ;)

Trust me, I ain't keepin' it as this little thingy sells consistently for $85 - $135 on "The Bay". :D

Thumper
06-29-2014, 09:42 AM
At another sale I picked up an old Stanley Thermos picnic set. It has a leather case with two Thermos bottles and a metal "lunch box" inside. I picked it up for $3.00 ... this one just sold on The Bay for $180.

Thumper
06-29-2014, 09:55 AM
I also picked up an old Polaroid camera for $7 ... but I'm still researching it's value and have no pics yet. A camera like it just sold for $85 ...but that was just the camera by itself. I picked one up that had the big leather case (like a briefcase) and it even has the key for the lock! It has the camera, light meter, flash attachments .. basically it looks like EVERY accessory Polaroid made for this camera including ALL of the original paperwork! In all the research I've done so far, I haven't found ONE complete set like this. I'll get pics soon if anyone's even remotely interested. Not sure youse dufes get as big a kick out of this junk as I do ... but I have fun with it (as long as it's profitable that is). ;)

Also picked up this mid-50's china table top lighter for a buck ... just saw this identical one sell for $45 + shipping.

Captain
06-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Neat stuff.
Finding that stuff has got to be fun and something I think I'd love to do. However researching and learning about all the different items is the really cool part.
I would start doings this myself but I KNOW me and I think I'd end up like some of those folks on America Pickers with a barn full of junk.
I NEED to get to the time in my life where I sell some stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

quercus alba
06-29-2014, 12:52 PM
just for you Cap and Jimbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtlK7sn0JQ

Thumper
06-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Ha ha ha! Yeah, I used to LOVE collecting crap ... that is, until I found out it's MUCH more fun selling the stuff! ;)

I think these days, the fun of the hunt itself is almost as much fun as collecting those dollars after a sale is made. Cappy, I know for a fact, you're sitting on a small fortune in "junk". ;)

Captain
06-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Yea, I just got to get to the point where I can part with it all.
Neither if my kids are interested in any of it so I might as well put it in the hands of folks that do like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
06-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Cappy, your main enemy would be time ... you have none to spare! This sort of thing is perfect for me because I can only stay active for a few hours before my back gives out ... then I have to rest. So ... I hit these sales in the morning (I'm usually finished up no later than noon ... usually by 10 AM or so) and the rest of the time I can be at my computer "resting" my back as I research, photograph and list on eBay. Even my sales are all handled from my desk. I close the sale with eMail, receive payment via PayPal, wrap the package here in my office, print the shipping label on-line, pay the shipping via PayPal and simply stick the package in my mailbox to be picked up. It's perfect for me and helps pay the bills. I figure I make about $100-$150/hour at these sales.

I also buy all sorts of mundane stuff as long as there's a bit of profit to be made. I usually only post the more interesting stuff here for youse dufes to look at. For example, here are a few other (not so exciting) things I also picked up this weekend. They may be a bit boring, but I'll make an easy $100 profit from them. An old pepper grinder, an old set of crystal salt & pepper shakers, a coffee grinder and an electric pencil sharpener. (I picked up a few more items, just haven't taken pics yet)

3193 3194 3195 3196

Thumper
06-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Well, strike the coffee grinder ... it was up for 23 hours and sold ... made 900% profit. ;)

That other stuff will be up for a while as they're listed for auction.

Thumper
07-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Shoe trees sold and on the way to Philadelphia, PA ... $40/pair! ;)

Chicken Dinner
07-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Damn, I've got a couple of those coffee grinders. One of them is even NIB that we never got around to using.

Thumper
07-03-2014, 02:12 PM
I have no clue what they sell for new. I think I paid $3 for that one ... sold it for $30 ... used, no box, no papers.

Chicken Dinner
07-03-2014, 02:14 PM
I'd be shocked if they sold for $30 new.