PDA

View Full Version : The Hobby Lobby Thang

BarryBobPosthole
07-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Its interesting how many of my conservative friends see the Hobby Lobby Supreme Court victory less as a constitutional issue and seem to be celebrating more because its a 'knock on Obama'. What happens when Obama is gone, as he most assuredly will be at the end of this term, 2016 regardless of how much knocking goes on. And good riddance as far as I am concerned. To him and to the congress he rode in on.
But on the Hobby Lobby deal, its probably a good thing when the highest court errs on the side of more liberty versus less. I couldn't tell you whether this decision is right or wrong. Not that its above my comprehension, but that its too dang hard to see the consequences of doing it either way. And that's my honest take. Most of the people I've heard crowing about it like its a goal in the World Cup don't either and I pretty much know that as a fact. I haven't heard much real discussion about it. which is why I wrote this. If you think you know, then let me know. I promise I'll listen.

Like I said, I really don't think that this is a life or death decision for anyone now, and that includes the unborn the old testament quoting people who think plan B contraceptives are abortions have been using as their rationalization. There's more in the old testament along the same line about masturbation if you're interested in living the law according to the Old Testament Jews. God actually killed somebody for doing the deed instead of breeding, yes breeding, with his dead brother's wife, which was the law at the time too. I guess we pick and choose which old testament laws we want to get up on our constitutional high horses about when it comes right down to it. There is no New Testament scripture on this subject, by the way. But since there's ambiguity on both sides, let's err on the side of caution. It may be a slippery slope but law ought to be more of an iterative process nowadays especially. Maybe if it was, we'd have some actual improvements to our health laws passed instead of this litigious bullshit.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Which basically says that I don't know a damn thing, but from what I've seen of the 'logic' of both sides the whole issue is pretty pathetic. so the court prolly got it more right than wrong. that' oughta be worth some points right there. In FIFA soccer it probably would get you a point or two.

BKB

Thumper
07-02-2014, 09:03 AM
I quit trying to figure it out and if I'd thought of it first ... I'd have posted persactly what you just said. Thanks for making it easy for me. ;)

LJ3
07-02-2014, 09:59 AM
That FIFA comment was unwarranted partisan bullshit!

I agree that both sides just look silly to me, and most of the country hopefully.

I'm on the fence from what I understand of the issue. If you leave religion out of it, a privately owned company should not be forced by the government to provide ANY health care. But they don't leave religion out of it. Hobby Lobby provides 16 out of the 20 birth control meds. The 4 they don't want to provide are "morning after" or "abortion" pills and I support their refusal to be forced by the government to provide those. I also think a SCOTUS ruling on allowing religious rule to govern a company is very dangerous. If a new privately held burger franchise was muslin owned and wanted to alter it's business hours for Ramadan or require burkas for all female employees those same conservatives would be shitting kittens.

For me it boils down to a privately owned company being able to run their company however they want. if it's not privately held then the board od directors or stockholders make the call. The gubmint has no place.

Both sides on the issue want it both ways.

But I don't think I know what the hell the correct answer is. I wish they'd left religion out of it. It would be an easier call to make.

Let's be honest. The slippery slope argument is valid. Just yesterday I saw a dude fucking a toaster. Right after the marriage equality act was passed.

Niner
07-02-2014, 10:01 AM
From what I understand.....and I could be wrong....
The deal was that Hobby Lobby WAS providing contraceptives for their employees, but did not want to provide the "morning after pill" as dictated by the ACA.

At least that's the way I understand it from the limited amount of news that I allow myself to listen to. Could be a heckofa lot more to it than that I suppose.

DeputyDog
07-02-2014, 02:09 PM
The family that owns the company holds as a belief of their religion that abortion is wrong, and they did not want to be forced to pay for contraception for their employees that are basically abortion causing drugs, such as the morning after pill as it's called. What those drugs do is not stop conception, but prevent the fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus causing the pregnancy to be "aborted". They felt that it was a violation of their right to free practice of their religion to force them to pay for that service for others.

As for giving a company a religious protection, they gave it to only "closely held companies" which by the governments own definition is a company in which over 50% of the stock is held by 5 or fewer people.