PDA

View Full Version : Catfish recipes?

Big Skyz
07-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Since we have a lot of southern boys on this site and I figure y'all basically invented catfishing and catfish cooking, what better place to ask...

I caught a mess of catfish last night. Now I'd like a really good recipe or two on how to prepare them for the table. Nothing too spicy, while I might like it, my wife and kids don't do "hot spicy". So how can I turn these catfish into something my family will eat twice?

BarryBobPosthole
07-02-2014, 01:36 PM
what kind of catfish is it?

BKB

Big Skyz
07-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Channel.

BarryBobPosthole
07-02-2014, 02:35 PM
If they're under two pounds, gut 'em, skin 'em, cut the heads off, dredge in beaten eggs, the in a mixture of salt, pepper, and corn meal and fry them up whole in a cast iron skillet. turn 'em when they're done. If they're bigger filet or steak them out and do them the same way but in a deep fryer. Run the oil through a three stage strainer when you're done. Serve with pinto beans, home made fries, and hush puppies, fresh jalapenos and vialia onions quartered up, and about a gallon of iced tea per person.

That oughta do ya.

BKB

HideHunter
07-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Big Sky - I shouldn't do this. It's a secret. Don't tell anyone else on this site or any other. I love fried - but this is a great change-up.

HideHunter's Baked Catfish

Recipe is for fillets. Best for channel cat that weigh pound and a half to three and a half in the rough. Soak fillets in orange juice (I sometimes add a little lemon juice) for 4 hours to over-nite. Sprinkle with any favorite seasoning. I prefer lemon pepper or, best, Cavender's Greek Seasoning.

From here you can proceed several ways. Preferred is on an earthen plate, glass baking dish will work. Place (what was) skin side up in a 400 degree oven. Bake until the juices are beginning to cook away, about 10 minutes or so depending on the size of the fish. Give a quick spray with PAM , or something like it, stick under broiler until top begins to brown and bubble. If you happen to have access to a pizza oven, even better. Cook until most of the liquid is gone.

or

You can cook on the grill

or

You an place in tin-foil and lay on the coals of an open fire. After 15 minutes or so , open the foil and let some of the juices cook away.

This is a great change from fried.

Was one of our "specials" when I was in the restaurant business Sold literally *thousands*

enjoy...

Big Skyz
07-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Dang HH that sounds amazing! Thank you too BBP, yours sounds super easy to do.

Captain
07-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Wish I could help BS, I'll eat em' as fast as someone can pull them out the grease. But I don't know nothin' bout cooking them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

quercus alba
07-02-2014, 06:21 PM
My wife makes a blackened catfish cooked in butter that's mighty good

Thumper
07-02-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm with Cappy ... Lynn fries 'em up ... I eat 'em! No clue what she does to 'em before they hit my plate.