PDA

View Full Version : And it begins...

Bwana
07-02-2014, 08:44 PM
...the start of the 135th annual, yes 135 years, of the Mandan, ND rodeo! Talk about tradition.

Bwana
07-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Saddle bronc

Bwana
07-02-2014, 10:57 PM
They had a coloring contest for the rodeo. & low & behold my daughter won. Boot Barn here we come.

Bwana
07-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Barrel racer.

Sunshine
07-03-2014, 02:52 AM
I used to compete in barrel racing.
Lots of fun.
My mare cut those barrels so close, sometimes I'd have to left my leg up to miss it.

Thumper
07-03-2014, 04:25 AM
Which one? Your lift leg or your right leg? :D

Captain
07-03-2014, 05:07 AM
If she was cutting the barrels right it would have been her "lift" leg.... I was at a little local Rodeo last weekend. They are always fun to see the local talent.
I use to do the pickup class all the time at the rodeos. As far as I know they don't do those anymore. It was common for the pickup guy to end up underneath the horse hoofs. So I guess it was stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
07-03-2014, 05:35 AM
They have a pick-up class? So, you raced your Chevy around a bunch'a barrels? ;)

jb
07-03-2014, 08:04 AM
They started this 3 years after Custer left that town,

Thumper
07-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Barrel-racing trucks?

Bwana
07-03-2014, 09:05 AM
I've not delved into it very much but from the few things I have read there have been all kinds of big-name cowboy-type stars that have come to Mandan Rodeo in the years past. Sort of the who's-who in the world of cowboys or cowboy-type movies. Though the rodeo is still pretty cool, it would have been great to see what it was like back in the heydays.

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2014, 09:21 AM
There is a rodeo in my home town every year and its still a pretty big deal. When I was a kid there was a country band from the Oklahoma State Pen that played at a bandstand at the parade and out at the rodeo. Not sure if they still tour the rodeo circuit or not. all those baptists loved getting serenaded by prisoners. Who better to sing country music? I remember when Reba Macintyre was just a teenager and sag the national anthem at our parade. Nobody knew who she was then. She was just a rodeo cowboy's daughter who sang at the rodeos.

BKB

Thumper
07-03-2014, 11:33 AM
When I was a kid, we went to the rodeo every year. We knew the guy who put on the rodeo (Larry Sunbrock) as he also owned the racetrack we raced at every weekend. There was always a big movie/tv star or two there and I usually got to meet them since Larry was a family friend. To be honest, the ONLY one I remember meeting is James Arness. 'Course, back then, he was Marshall Dillon to me. He was one TALL mf'er! I remember standing in front of him and looking straight into his belt buckle! (and I was very tall for my age)

The rodeo was held in a town just outside of Orlando, called Kissimmee (no, it's NOT Kiss-a-me). There was NOTHING out there at that time but cow pastures and old worthless swamp land, so the rodeo, once per year, was the ONLY reason to ever go out there. Now it's called Disney!

Sunshine
07-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Left leg.

My sister and I were partners in Pick Up.
I'd haul down there , grab her arm and swing her onto my horse.
Sometimes swung her too hard and off the other side she'd go.
She knew she better hang on, when I grabbed her arm, or she was a goner. Lol

Don't know if they do POLES at rodeos, but I'd compete in those too.
Now my dogs do poles. Lol

Thumper
07-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Sunshine;

Don't know if they do POLES at rodeos, but I'd compete in those too.
Now my dogs do poles.

I did a Pole once ... her name was Grazyna Lipinski. ;)

Sunshine
07-03-2014, 02:35 PM
You're a sick man thump!! :D

Thumper
07-03-2014, 03:01 PM
:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin