PDA

View Full Version : I live on an island..

HideHunter
07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Water to the east of me - water to the west. Major flooding here. Looks like the Iowa River (I live on) will hit the second highest crest recorded). Mississippi (about 6 miles) probably the same. Good thing is - after 2008 - our levees are probably the best they've ever been. My boat - which I usually have to walk down 14 steps (and more) to - is parked in the road ditch. My house sits on a knob and is in no danger - except I'm stranded. I kind of like it. ;) The whiskey fairy dropped of a case of Black Velvet day before yesterday. Country boys will survive. ;)

Big Muddy
07-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Well, HH, at least you won't hafta worry about getting a DUI. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
I remember after the big flood up in Missouri in 1993, talking to a guy in our building there who had temporarily moved his office into our basement because he got flooded out at the old Spirit of St Louis Airport. He said they had killed quite a few water moccasins in their file cabinets as they were cleaning up after it.

Might be fun with a 410 and a jug on the front porch HH!

BKB

Big Muddy
07-03-2014, 09:41 AM
We had a bad local flood here in the spring of 1992....my son and I put my little 12 foot johnboat in the old bayou, running the length of my property....snakes were hanging everywhere, like tinsel on a Christmas tree....we shot-gunned nearly 500 snakes in two days.
Water was so high here that when we ran outta shotgun shells, we just motored the 3 miles to town, and tied the boat to the door handle of an old abandoned truck, parked in the flood water, behind the hardware store....stepped outta the boat, right onto the sidewalk of the hardware store.

Thumper
07-03-2014, 11:43 AM
I have a mental picture of those snakes and a coupl'a real snake lovers who hang out here. I won't mention names, but I "think" one may be in Michigan and the other in Montana. ;)

HideHunter
07-03-2014, 12:53 PM
In 2008, when our levee broke, ground flooded that had not been wet since 1947. Guys who were out in boats the next couple days talked about the *millions* of mice they saw. Every bush and tree that had a leaf out of the water was literally "moving". A week later they said there were snakes in every tree and not a mouse to be found.

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2014, 01:05 PM
I'd imagine the gophers were thick too.

BKB