PDA

View Full Version : Gene

quercus alba
07-05-2014, 09:40 AM
do you fish with dry flys and poppers only or do you use the occasional wet fly? When the bream are bedding I really like to fish something that sinks. Only drawback is they tend to swallow it. On the positive side, you don't miss many

HideHunter
07-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Absolutely fish wets. I have a few adaptations I have developed that not only catch fish but are tough enough to stand up to gills. Hard-mouthed little bastards are tough on flies. We get this flood thing out of the way I'll send you some of mine. Staying with a friend who has a nice pond. They were knocking the piss out of a Stealth Bomber (floater) dby, Yesterday, I was only hooking up with about 1 out of 4 strikes. Switched to one of my Crappie Killers and hooked up nearly every cast. It's fun. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Did you get RUNNOFT by the flood waters? Hope you and your family are okay pard.

BkB

HideHunter
07-06-2014, 12:18 PM
We did get runned off. My wife had an appointment to "clog" at a 4th celebration. She panicked when she thought she couldn't get out. Wasn't quite pushing water with the bumper when I came out - but close Then it came up and we couldn't get back in. Water is dropping as we speak Should get back in today. Everyone is fine. 3rd 500 year flood since 93. Get ready eddie - we're sending her south. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Never get between a clogger and a hoedown or you'll get heel-toed over. Have heard that hurts.

I'dthinkyou oughtto be set for a millenia or two.

BKB

quercus alba
07-06-2014, 09:43 PM
I appreciate it HH but it's not necessary, I fish cheap stuff for what I do. I'm somewhat unorthodox in my fishing anyway. When I fish a wet fly in shallow water, I like to put a 1/64th splitshot a couple of feet above the fly. Gives me a little more range and you can work it a little bit. When the bream are off the bed a little, they'll hammer it. Handtied flies are a waste on me, I just buy a 3 buck Walmart pack of 10 or so flies and use my twenty dollar Walmart rod and reel. I wouldn't know what to do with an Orvis

HideHunter
07-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Well - I'm really only about one baby-step ahead of you. ;) I have several fly rods but the two I use most are Cabela's Three Forks - a #3 and a #6. I gave $20 for the 6 and a bit more for the 3 on sale. These ride in a double case behind the seat of the truck as long as there is open water. It's a fun game. I need to go through my fly box. I noticed when I swapped flies the other day - most of what I'm using look like they've been through a blender. ;)