PDA

View Full Version : Now THAT was a wreck!

Captain
07-06-2014, 01:55 PM
There sure ain't gonna be many cars running at the end of this race.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Fido
07-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Restrictor plate racing is one notch above watchin grass grow!!!!

Captain
07-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Restrictor plate racing is one notch above watchin grass grow!!!!

You must not have been watching.. :D

Thumper
07-06-2014, 07:25 PM
So the win today was by default!

Captain
07-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Pretty much. I think there was 47 or 57 laps left when the rain hit. They called it after an hour of trying to dry the track.

DeputyDog
07-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Should have watched the Indy car race at Pocono. First 158 laps caution free, a win by Juan Montoya, and the first 500 mile race ever to have an average speed over 200 MPH. The winner's average speed for the 500 miles was 20 MPH faster than the record qualifying speed for those tin-tops you all love so much. The pole speed was over 40 MPH faster than the record for NASCAR.

Captain
07-06-2014, 08:25 PM
If they went 100 MPH faster than the NASCAR cars I still just cannot get Into it.
I will give you that a LOT of folks do like the open wheel cars but it just does not have the history that Stock cars have.

BarryBobPosthole
07-06-2014, 08:58 PM
I had to go fix something on my sons car witha big hammer anda cold chisel so I messes the last ha
F of thecrace. Hoe theheck did Junior et to 14th? He had justgot lapped when I went outside.

I loedopen wheel racing when I was a kid. Parnelli Jones and AJ Foyt and that crowd. I also liked Grand Prix racing wheneer we could get it. Those guys had some guts now. Especially in the 60's.

BKB

Captain
07-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Looks like you fixed his car with a hammer, chisel and brown liquor! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-06-2014, 09:34 PM
No its this stupid ipad keyboard and laziness.
BKB

Captain
07-06-2014, 09:41 PM
I know, but I just have to give you a hard time.

Thumper
07-07-2014, 12:27 AM
I thought Jeff Clark was back masquerading as Posthole! ;)

Sunshine
07-07-2014, 02:49 AM
I thought he was drinking. Lol

DeputyDog
07-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Cappy, I hate to burst your bubble, but they've been racing open wheel cars at Indy for 103 years, the track was built in 1909 and the first 500 mile race was held there in 1911. I don't think NASCAR came into being until after WWII.

Captain
07-07-2014, 07:27 AM
I understand that. And it's a golden history. But being from the South and NASCAR getting started here from running Moonshine makes the history special. Dad and Junior Johnson are friends and he (Junior) just sold his farm and moved near us. I grew up knowing a lot of the folks that either drive or worked on a put crew. My Uncle headed security for Darlington Speedway for 30 years and I grew up walking around freely among the pits and generally bothering everyone.

I also have a very close friend that drove open wheel cars but it just never had the attraction of the redneck cars and folks and fans of NASCAR.
I'm not slamming Open Wheel racing in any way and I'm sure there are a lot more people that feel the way you do than the way I do. I'm just saying it ain't what trips my trigger. Just seems too fancy-Dan for me.

DeputyDog
07-07-2014, 07:30 AM
Just making sure you were clear on that. I now that you're from the heart of NASCAR country, just like I'm from the heart of Indycar racing.

Thumper
07-07-2014, 08:07 AM
I love Indy only for the technology involved and the fact it IS auto racing. It's like Grand Prix motorcycle racing, just the technology in those compact motorcycle transmissions fascinates me. But I'm not a huge fan of either. It's still racing ... but so is yacht racing, even then, I'd rather watch hydroplanes. Are Indy cars fast? Damn straight they are! But it just ain't the same watching a race where the cars can't even touch each other. It's like watching an airshow ... would you rather watch a couple of jet fighters demonstrate dog-fighting maneuvers? Or a FASTER rocket leave the pad and fly a straight line 'til it's out of sight? Both are exciting ... but one is REAL flying! There's nothing like finishing a race in a car that started out pristine and rolls into victory circle with black "tire-donuts" on the doors and the sheet metal beat all to hell. THAT'S racing! Besides, I can better relate to a driver who downs a beer after a race instead of a glass of milk! :D

It's VERY hard to relate to Indy drivers .. heck, half of them barely speak English and are some of the biggest snobs on earth. (I know, I know ... I'm generalizing) But, ya' just ain't gonna find too many "good ol' boys" on the Indy circuit. At least not many I'd like to sit down and eat grits with the morning after a race. ;)

I suppose I can relate better to a dog hunter driving a mud-buggy on a hog hunt than a finely dressed Irish fox hunter chasing hounds on horseback. They're both "hunting".

BarryBobPosthole
07-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Juan Pablo Montoya won the Indy race at Pocono. That's purty much all I need to know about modern Indy racing.

BKB

Thumper
07-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Sheeesh! Juan Pablo ... the biggest cry-baby in auto racing!

Captain
07-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Yep, that pretty much says it all. All he could do with the NASCAR. cars is wreck and cry about others people.
He just could not cut it in real racing.

DeputyDog
07-07-2014, 09:28 AM
I know you southern folk just don't understand the finer points of racing. You all think that it ain't racing if you can't crash into each other while you're doing it. ;)

I don't think it would turn out too well for the fighter planes to be crashing into each other during their dog fighting demo, Thump. Bad analogy there.

I will say that I haven't been to a NASCAR race recently, but from everyone I've talked to and even the media types that cover both types of racing, I've seen, and they tend to agree that there is a lot more interaction between the drivers and fans in Indycar than NASCAR, and from my own experiences, the only douchebag that I've came across that didn't have time for a photo or an autograph in Indycar is now driving in NASCAR. I think you might know who I mean. You can keep her there too for all I care.

Thumper
07-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Ha ha! The plane analogy was purely for the entertainment value demonstrated. ;)

Yep, it takes a while to break those Indy brats in ... some make it, some don't. When Tony Stewart jumped ship, he was a major a-hole ... after a few seasons of rubbing elbows with "real" people, he became tolerable. Juan has and probably never will see the light as he can't see through all the tears. Danika ... I wouldn't mind seein' her nekkid ... but she's only good for sexy posters at the souvenir truck in the parking lot. Once youse Indy dufes spoil these drivers ... it's really tough to save 'em and make real people out of em'! :D

DeputyDog
07-07-2014, 10:12 AM
I thought it was just the opposite. Even Kurt Busch was tolerable and decent to people at Indy this year while he was hanging out with the "spoiled" Indycar crowd.

Thumper
07-07-2014, 10:19 AM
He was just tryin' real hard to fit in. :D

DeputyDog
07-07-2014, 10:35 AM
My point exactly. He was a better person to deal with while hanging out with the Indycar crowd, and not the dick everyone says he is with the NASCAR crowd. Even the local media who have dealt with him during the Brickyard, were impressed at how different his attitude was and how it was even a pleasure to talk to him.

Thumper
07-07-2014, 10:38 AM
That's because it was his last chance at redemption and he knew it. Car owners need sponsors and sponsors shy away from assholes. Being civil was a matter of survival as he probably won't get many more chances. He's a jerk, but he ain't an idiot. ;)

LJ3
07-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Rally Car racing is what impresses me the most out of all types of auto racing. Those dudes have incredible driving skills. The inside car camera shots are amazing to me.

Thumper
07-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Rally Car racing is what impresses me the most out of all types of auto racing. Those dudes have incredible driving skills. The inside car camera shots are amazing to me.

And that from some dufe who loves soccer! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-07-2014, 11:23 AM
I figured Len would be into drifting.

And dancing on one of those keyboard things.

BKB

LJ3
07-07-2014, 02:38 PM
I have overnight shipped large stools to both of you. Good luck determining the sort of stool I have sent you before it's too late.

DeputyDog
07-07-2014, 04:33 PM
One last comment, since Montoya winning proved something to you guys about Indycar, what was the name of the superstar that won at Daytona again?

Captain
07-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Sorry been in the hayfield.
Are you talking about Aric Almirola win this past Sunday? Not hardly what I would call a superstar yet.... But maybe in years to come.

Thumper
07-07-2014, 11:58 PM
His win was a fluke anyway. Kinda like Derrike Cope winning the 500 in 1990 (I was there). This weekend's 400 was a frigging mess. Ya' start with 43 cars that need to be smooth as a baby's butt to be fast. 16 get bent up in a big crash early in the race and 26 get bent up late in the race ... THEN the race is called early due to rain. Aric hadn't been in for a pit stop yet and took the win. I wouldn't call that a "super star" win ... but a win is a win as far as the books are concerned. He's a good kid ... a local boy (to me) ... and it was good to see the 43 car in Victory Lane again as Richard Petty is a class act.

BUT ... as far as racing is concerned ... it was exciting but not a good representation.

DeputyDog
07-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Ya both missed the sarcasm. Barry made a comment that if Montoya won a race, that was all he needed to know about Indycar, so I responded with that crack about the winner at Daytona Sunday.

Isn't it kind of ironic that Petty's car won, for the first time in forever, after everyone else crashed out after he made those comments that the only way Danica would win a race is if everyone else crashed out?

Thumper
07-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I missed it. Ha ha ha! You're right! I'd forgotten all about Petty's comment. Boy, talk about karma ... that is kind of a kick in the ass, huh? :D