PDA

View Full Version : Yeti Coolers

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2014, 12:09 PM
No, I ain't getting one. Anybody else have one? They all they're cracked up to be? They come with a friggin owners manual. Really?
BKB

Bwana
07-09-2014, 12:17 PM
They might be good, even REALLY good but they seem to be VERY proud of their product and in turn, too rich for mine.

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2014, 12:21 PM
The first thing I thought of is I've never owned a cooler that I worried about someone stealing. Stealing the contents from maybe (YES HOMBRE THAT MEANS YOU), but heck at these prices theives would dump your contents and take the dang cooler.

BKB

Captain
07-09-2014, 12:23 PM
I have and have had several. But I can't give an opinion without piling on someone

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2014, 12:28 PM
I can take it.

The way they justify the price is they say you'll end up saving money in the long run because you don't have to replace them. Like EVER. I might could buy that if it were true. But you say you've had several. So they must have to be replaced at some point.

Once in a while, I'll get a cooler where the guy who was squirting insulation in it must've been dreaming of his girlfriend because it'll hold ice for a week and an identical one by the same manufacturer won't. Those are the ones of mine that usually end up with metal hinges after the plastic ones break and so forth. I dunno, I might pay that much for one if they're as good as they say they are. Wonder if you can get insurance on them?

BKB

Big Muddy
07-09-2014, 12:36 PM
No, I ain't got one, either, and it'll be a cold day before I spend any where near $300-$900 bucks on a day'um ice chest. ;)

However, I must admit, returning home from the July 4th weekend at the lake house, I noticed a guy on the highway, in front of me, had his old Datsun pickup bed loaded to the gills with camping equipment, and a cab full of kids.

Sitting right on top of all that camping gear was a big brand new Yeti cooler, with a single bungee cord, holding it down....it was just rocking back and forth in the wind, and looked like it might fall outta the truck at any moment.

I just couldn't help myself, hoping that thing would fall out onto the highway....I followed him for quite a spell, but no such luck.

He prolly paid more for that Yeti, than he did for that old Datsun pickup. ;)

250 quart --- $899.99

DeputyDog
07-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Cappy had several in the past but he had to replace them after they were stolen. ;)

Hombre
07-09-2014, 01:37 PM
The guy I go fishing with has one. I would say for him it is worth it. We usually do 2-3 day fishing trips on the ocean, in small town. It is always almost impossible to find the ice we need and when you do its just a chore to lug it all down. So for him he can fill it up before we leave and it keeps the ice for a week at a time. I think it is a convenience thing.

And, BBP I only take beer out of your cooler because I know the ice is going to melt and you'll be left with hot beer...really I'm doing you a favor.

Buckrub
07-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Half the price:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sportsman-cooler/prod10150470.ip?navAction=

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2014, 02:06 PM
That's a LOT cheaper than the YETI. YETI doesn't make a 55 qt but their closest think is a 65 qt and its $399 compared to $199 for this one.

Maybe the competition will drive the prices down, who knows?
BKB

Buckrub
07-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Here's a review a local newspaper sportswriter gave them. I bought one, but haven't used it yet. Igloo's website, and the Ad that's inserted in the cooler new, state that they are making a 20qt also, a small one, but they apparently haven't actually produced or shipped any yet. Also I think the Igloo 55 is a tad more elsewhere, but $198 is Sam's price. I'm not sure of elsewhere. Not that I wouldn't love to have a Yeti.
__________________________________________________ ________________________

The Igloo Sportsman 55 resembles a Yeti, but it is longer and lower.

That means more top surface area is exposed to sunlight. It will hold an entire quartered deer. Currently, only the 55-quart model is available, but Steve Cochran of Igloo said a 20-quart model is in the works. Our test model is white, but Cochran said the 55 will soon be available in camo.

The shell is impact- and stress-resistant. However, we noticed that the front and rear panels flexed under pressure. This gave us some concern about toughness and durability. Yeti's box is uniformly hard and rigid.

Insulation is a uniform 2 inches, including the lid. The lid has molded in rulers (standard and metric) for measuring fish, as well as a raised, non-skid work surface.

When you close the lid, all you hear is the vacuum. No plastic-to-plastic contact is audible. The Sportsman 55 is also compatible for use with dry ice, and it works well with a combination of Arctic Ice Tundra Series ice packs and loose ice.

The hinged handles are heavy-gauge plastic with rubber grips. The handles fold into recesses, so they do not increase the width of the cooler

The Sportsman 55 is 30.38 inches long, 18 inches wide and 16.4 inches high. The Yeti 50 is 24 inches long, 18.5 inches high and 17.38 inches wide at the lid. Its footprint is 22.75 inches long and 14.75 inches wide.

The rubber T-straps are almost identical to those on a Yeti.

It has a single lock slot where the front middle of the lid meets the box. The recess tapers so that you can lock the lid with a regular padlock. A Yeti, in comparison, requires a long-shank lock. The holes on our test model are misaligned. The Sportsman 55 also has an integrated slot to install a security shim, which allows you to secure the cooler to an immovable object with a cable.

The Sportsman 55 has four non-skid feet, but the bottom is elevated to avoid contact with hot surfaces like boat decks. It fits snugly sideways in a canoe, but it is better suited for boating and car camping. It is also large and stable enough to serve as a casting platform.

In the drain is a heavy-duty, threaded plastic plug with a thick foam gasket and an oversized thumb/forefinger grip. A chain attaches it to the shell. You must remove the plug to drain a Sportsman, but the chain prevents loss. There's also a built-in slot in the cooler body to store the plug out of the way.

At 1.75 inches, the drain is much wider than that of the Yeti, so it drains faster.

MSRP $200

WEIGHT 26.8 pounds

WARRANTY 5 years

Cards01
07-09-2014, 03:10 PM
I have been looking at the igloo ones... but haven't pulled the trigger... let us know what you think once you use yours

Trav
07-09-2014, 04:56 PM
I have to admit I just ordered a Yeti Tundra 65qt but probably wouldn't have except I have a buddy who sells them. I got it for about 37% off retail so I figured I could always get my money back on it. He was supposed to get his order on Thurs 7/3 but it hasn't come in yet. I will let you guys know what I think.

Captain
07-09-2014, 05:36 PM
The way they justify the price is they say you'll end up saving money in the long run because you don't have to replace them. Like EVER. I might could buy that if it were true. But you say you've had several. So they must have to be replaced at some point.

A buddy and I had a Carolina Skiff that had a center console, there was one in the front of the console with a padded lid that was a seat while you were under way. The second one was under the drivers seat and could be used as dry storage or cooler depending on the trip and needs. My buddy bought me out in the boat and I assume he still has both coolers.
The third one I loaned a friend and it was in fact stolen out of his boat.
The one I have now is the one be purchased to replace the one taken.
I've never seen so much as a hinge broken on one.

Captain
07-09-2014, 05:38 PM
And ANYONE that can afford to pay a 1000 buck for a BGE and nest should know the advantages of buying the best... JMHO :D
There are a lot of copycat BGE's out there too...

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2014, 06:10 PM
I got my BGE for Christmas. If you want to buy me a Yeti cooler for Christmas I promise I'll use it a lot and brag on it all the time!

BKB

Captain
07-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Maybe your deep pocket Santa will bring you one. :-)

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah but there's only one problem. her deep pockets are full of MY money. I'd just as soon retire with a styrofoam cooler as work another year with a Yeti.

BKB

Captain
07-09-2014, 07:12 PM
LOL now that I can understand! :D

LJ3
07-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Yeah but... you can stand on 'em and fish the flats for Tarpon. What's not to like?

Thumper
07-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Dang, for that kinda scratch, you could buy a refrigerator AND a generator!

LJ3
07-09-2014, 10:24 PM
And a stool

Thumper
07-09-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure what you'd like persactly, but I have a few stool samples for ya' right here Ticboy! Pick one.

quercus alba
07-09-2014, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't pay 900 bucks to watch a piss ant eat a bale of hay much less on a cooler you stand on to fish for flat tampons

Captain
07-09-2014, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't pay 900 bucks to watch a piss ant eat a bale of hay much less on a cooler you stand on to fish for flat tampons

Now that shit is funny right there!

Thumper
07-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Hmmm, just thinkin' about the muscles that could flatten tampons kinda intrigues me. ;)

quercus alba
07-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Hmmm, just thinkin' about the muscles that could flatten tampons kinda intrigues me. ;)

Gotta admit, I didn't see that one coming. Don't usually leave myself wide open like that

Thumper
07-09-2014, 10:48 PM
I have a one-track mind sometimes. ;)

quercus alba
07-09-2014, 10:54 PM
Jenny McCarthy said the only thing she likes more than sex is eating. She then said eating while having sex would be even better.

Thumper
07-09-2014, 11:05 PM
I ain't gonna touch that one. Heck, typical Good Hunting ... how the heck we went from coolers, to ass, baffles me. ;)

LJ3
07-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Gotta admit, I didn't see that one coming. Don't usually leave myself wide open like that

No worries my friend. None of us have the intellectual capacity to see everything Jimmy can turn in to sexual innuendo.

Thumper
07-10-2014, 05:43 AM
Hey! When you're as handsome as I am ... the subject comes up constantly. Being swarmed by hot wimmins has become a simple fact of life with me. I just handle it the best I can. ;)

Captain
07-10-2014, 05:46 AM
Hey! When you're as handsome as I am ... the subject comes up constantly. Being swarmed by hot wimmins has become a simple fact of life with me. I just handle it the best I can. ;)

And THAT is YOUR opinion.... ;)

Thumper
07-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Yeah, but the difference between all'o youse dufes around this joint, and me ... is that MY opinions are the CORRECT opinions! In actuality ... MY opinions should be considered FACT around here ... but that would make the threads a lot shorter, so youse guys may as well waste your time posting your differing opinions ... it's pure entertainment anyway. ;)

Shouldn't you be out cuttin' hay or sumpin'? Ain't you gots no headlights on that tractor?

Captain
07-10-2014, 06:14 AM
Always at the gym from five till seven every morning

Thumper
07-10-2014, 06:22 AM
By the looks of ya' ... ya' may wanna consider extending those sessions to sumpin' like 5 'til 9! ;)

Captain
07-10-2014, 06:46 AM
Funny man.....

Trav
07-14-2014, 09:43 AM
OK, so I got my Yeti on Thursday and loaded it with a 12 pack and 20# of ice after work. It has sat in the bed of my truck under my bed cover for the last 4 days. It has been brutally hot here upper 90's and a couple of 102's. I would imagine that between the black bedliner and cover it's got to be nearly 110 in the bed of that truck. I can tell you as of this morning there are 2 beers left and about 60% of the ice. I have to say I am pretty impresses with it so far. I also put a package of hot dogs in the top rack and they are as cold as they would be in the fridge. Now that being said most of my camping is in the spring and fall and I could easily see the ice lasting a week to 10/12 days.

Now I am still not sure I would pay full retail for one but since I got it at a great price it's well worth the money.

HideHunter
07-14-2014, 10:14 AM
I have a friend who comes from money, has a no wife, a good job and connections. He's accumulated three of the damned things. He can't say enough good about them.. and if something better comes along - he'll own that.