PDA

View Full Version : Camping this weekend

BarryBobPosthole
07-14-2014, 09:30 AM
We got ourselves a 'SUV tent' to attach to my wife's 4Runner this weekend and we're taking Friday off and headed to south central Missouri to go float the Current River with a bunch of my wife's family. Its the only tent camping weekend of our entire year and its a blast in a throwback kind of way. Len has been around that side of the family and knows what a hoot they all are. Hell he's practically part of the family. I know they all keep up with him on Facebook still! The Current River is a spring fed river, full of feisty smallies, and runs about 70 degrees, which can take your breath away but is mighty refreshing on a hot July day! Gonna be a hoot!

BKB

Thumper
07-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Gosh that sounds like fun! We used to do "float trips" all the time ... but it's sure been a while. I miss those days. Have fun Postie ... I'm sure you will.

What's an "suv tent"? One'a those trailer/pop-up thingies?

BarryBobPosthole
07-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Its just a tent that connects to the back end of your SUV. We'll lay the seats down and sleep in the back and just use the tent part to stand up and change in and so forth. We have a little two person tent but you have to lay on your back to put your britches on and we're too damned old to sleep on the hard ground. So we'll use an egg crate mattress and be high and dry if it rains.

That's the theory anyway. I've never used one of these contraptions.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
07-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Damn yuppies!

HideHunter
07-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Cool - I've floated the Current. Been a few years. Isn't there a cave that was used to contain the criminally insane or something?

LJ3
07-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Being a noticer and all.... I have noticed something with the tent. It has no exit door.

You're a dufus, you're welcome.

For reals, I'm envious! Sounds like a great time and having met those dufes, I'm expecting it will be!

Thumper
07-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Ha ha! Yeah, I think the "lakeside" flap is zippered there Ticboy. I used to have a 4wd Toyota long-bed with a camper shell and I couldn't tell you how many times Lynn and I used that as our "redneck motorhome".

Trav
07-14-2014, 10:52 AM
you need to go get one of these at the Basspro 3289

johnboy
07-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a great trip Barry!

BarryBobPosthole
07-14-2014, 10:59 AM
HH I haven't heard of that cave, although there are several on that river. There's one cave there where there is a spring, aptly named Cave Spring, where the water is over 100 feet deep. I've never really had the desire to do any cave diving because just the thought of it gives me the willies, but man don't you know there's some shit to see down in that thing.

Thanks Trav, I'll check that out. Julie found some kind of air mattress at work that she can get a discount on. I'll see if that BPS one is cheaper or better made.

BKB

HideHunter
07-14-2014, 11:15 AM
A quick check of Google finds nothing. I had a friend who was a cave addict back in our motorcycling days. Probably been in 50 or more. I'm probably mistaking the location. ;)

Niner
07-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Sounds like an absolute blast there BBP! Take some pics of all those large smallies you catch.

Thumper
07-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Large Smallies??? Is that like Jumbo Shrimp??? ;)

Captain
07-14-2014, 03:04 PM
You got air shocks on the back of that SUV Posty? ;)
Sounds like a Great time. A float trip is a great way to spend a hot summer day... The small mouth are a plus, plus!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
07-14-2014, 04:05 PM
I assume there is a restaurant closeby?

BarryBobPosthole
07-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Nope, its all pot luck. We're frying chicken and bringing a couple of racks of ribs for Friday night. Then on Saturday after the float we'll grill dogs and burgers since we'll all be wore out. I'd be happoy with baloney sammiches. Heck it's camping.

BKB

Buckrub
07-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Um..........not sure I believe you.

Not unless you have a small pull behind trailer, or a rooftop storage unit, or many closeby friends. :)

Niner
07-14-2014, 07:58 PM
How do ya keep the dome light turned off with the back door open the whole time?
Or, do ya close the door down for sleeping?

Captain
07-14-2014, 08:18 PM
He holds the button in with his big toe. :D

Thumper
07-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Most cars these days have manual on/off switches as an override.

Captain
07-14-2014, 08:37 PM
My answer sounds better, and more like Posthole.... ;)

Thumper
07-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Ha! Reminds me of a story. (for some reason, I think I may have told it here before)

We've been friends with a couple here in town for the past 25 years. One night we were at their house sitting around having a few cocktails and somehow, the subject of the first night Lynn and I slept together came up. Lynn told the story of how romantic I was and when we entered my bedroom, the room was lighted with a dozen or so candles. My buddy's wife gave him "that look" and my buddy said, "WHAT??? I turned the dome light on!"

I cracked up and 'bout busted a gut! I'll never forget that one! :D