PDA

View Full Version : Milestone

Buckrub
07-14-2014, 10:10 AM
:cake

Ten years ago at this very moment, I was in the Cath Lab getting shocked back to life, 3 times, after undergoing a Left Anterior Descending Myocardial Infarction. 4% of the folks that get this, live. 96% die on the spot.

I doubt I have another 10 years, but the last 10 have been great. I have gotten to retire, somehow, even though I doubt I make it to the 'end' financially........but boy it's fun and worth it. I have been to some places I always wanted to go to. I've added a new grandchild, and almost another. I have visited with some of you along the way, and would love to do it again, and see more of you guys. Some of you don't care much for me and my naivety has kept me from realizing that, but many of you have continued to check on me and be a very good and true friend. I'm thankful for it all. I'm in the middle of some pretty bad family stuff, but somehow we will figure out how to persevere. Health keeps going downhill somewhat but I'm luckier in that department that some of you guys, and some others that I know, and I'm grateful to be upright and mobile. I pray daily for better health for those that need it more than I do.

Just sitting here looking out the window and being glad to be kicking............and wanted to thank all you guys that have supported me.

Thanks.

Bill

Thumper
07-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Congrats on beating the odds. I've only got half those years under my belt (5 years now) so far and it's been a long haul. Like you, I'm trying to make the most of my time now as you just never know when the "big one" will hit. I can't do all I wish I could do, but I do everything I can, physically, at this point. I figure as long as I wake up on the top side of the grass, I'm winning. It was REALLY uplifting when Co9 made his trip out to Big Sky Country ... he's doing the same. It's odd, but once the health issues kick in, you just want to go "balls out" to do what you kept putting off before. I have to say ... I had the attitude all my life to do everything I was able to do while I was healthy ... it's just that I didn't have time to complete the list before life turned upside down.

Keep doing what you're doing Bucky and make every day count.

Big Muddy
07-14-2014, 10:39 AM
What Thump said.......

LJ3
07-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Every day above ground is a good one, my friend. Glad you got to slow down and enjoy the really important things.

johnboy
07-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Had a bit of an epiphany myownself this morning. Woke up at 5am and realized that the Missus and I could very well have died on the highway last Friday but by some twist of fate we are still here. Sort of puts things into perspective, don't it? Spent an hour outside giving the garden plants a good soak cause it's gonna be another hot one today and just felt good and glad to be able to do it so I have a pretty good idea what you are feeling. Enjoy every moment and don't sweat the small stuff!

Have a good day Bill and all youse other dufes.

Thumper
07-14-2014, 10:56 AM
You gonna repair that bent up ol' truck Johnboy ... or will you use this as an excuse to get a new one? I think I spent quite a few hours riding shotgun in the front seat of that old workhorse .... well, except when TW was pulling you out of the lake. I was just standing on the dock laughing then! :D

HideHunter
07-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Congrats all around 'Rub!

BarryBobPosthole
07-14-2014, 11:24 AM
One of those things that really changes your perspective on things isn't it? I'm glad you're on this side of the turf, Bucky! We gotta go catch some fish some day. It won't do either one of us any good to stand at one another's funeral and say "We had more fish to catch". We just need to do it. (as long as we take your truck)

BKB

Thumper
07-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Good idea on the truck thing Postie ... Bucky says he won't fit in a Toyota. :D

Captain
07-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Glad you made it Bucky! I remember calling you that day and talking to you while you were getting worked on. That was the first time I spoke to your pretty wife. Man there was worry in her voice that day.
Been a lot of water over the dam since that day and I'm sure there will be plenty more. Come on back out and I'll give you another Crappie lesson! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
07-14-2014, 03:54 PM
I could use it, thank you. And I remember two phone calls that day, oddly enough..........Yours is one of them.

Barry, yes, it will change the way you look at many things. It did NOT do what most religious friends thought it should, however. I sort of laugh to say that, but it's true. I've become more selfish in many ways..........I feel like I have a tiny bit of time left, and my bucket list is long. I doubt the Lord had a better plan for me, I just figure He said "PLEASE don't send that Bozo up here yet!!"........and I sort of mean that seriously.

Today is a............strange day for me. I've done a lot of sitting and thinking.

And of course I'd fit in Barry's Toyota. They're great trucks. He has 'promised' a fishing trip with me for many years. I'm sure he's sincere, but if I held my breath, I'd be big as Delaware.

OK wait.

BarryBobPosthole
07-14-2014, 04:02 PM
You've spent a lifetime supporting a family. Its okay to be a little selfish.

And as far as there being a plan for you, I think there's probably an argument going on about who has to take you. Old Saban, er Satan I mean, is prolly saying that he's suffered enough!

BKB

Buckrub
07-14-2014, 04:04 PM
He's winning, buddy. I'm pretty sure he is.