PDA

View Full Version : Just a heads-up for you foodplot guys....

Big Muddy
07-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Much to my dismay, I've not seen grain/commodity prices plummet like this in years....wheat is dirt-cheap, right now, at about $5 per bushel(60 lbs.) on the CBOT....of course, your co-op has to make something, too, so it'll cost a little more than that for their bagging and handling, but still a bargain....last fall, good foodplot wheat was selling for over $10 per bushel, down here.

So, for you folks who plant fall wheat in your plots, and have a place to store it until planting time, then you can save yourself some money.

HideHunter
07-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Big change or us here eddie. I live on the farm where I grew up. Mostly sand and the only way it's ever going to raise a decent crop is irrigation. Been trying to avoid that for years. We have had 89 acres in CRP for 25 years (switch grass). Comes out this fall and, of course, no sign up available. One of the guys in the office ( I used to hunt with his Dad) told us about a new "Pheasant Recovery" program. There weren't many acres available (50,000) but people weren't jumping on it because they require a minimum 20 acre block. We applied and as of dby - we are in. 15 years of pheasant habitat that pays better than the CRP did. We are going to have to clean up a bit a brush, reseed pretty much everything and plant a five acres of food plot yearly. But - I'll take it. ;)

Big Muddy
07-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Hide, we got pretty much the same program down here for quail....wish my CRP land was available....doesn't come out 'til 2016.

BTW, I guess the commodity speculators couldn't stand it any longer, and started buying wheat contracts about an hour ago.

Wheat is up 32 cents !!!....biggest jump since back in February/March.

Captain
07-14-2014, 03:19 PM
I do a lot of Kale, and Rape and Australian winter peas. Never planted winter wheat as a food plot. My neighbor plants a little over 12,000 acres in the area of my farm and I try to offer something different here.
Thanks for the head up...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Big Muddy
07-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Cap, I'm not familiar with your growing seasons there, but here, the wheat will withstand a lot more freezing weather than our greens/brassicas.

The deer do love the greens, but they've pretty much had it here, after the first good freeze....your peas will prolly be the cat's azz, however.

Vetch makes good little peas, too, and very hardy.

I like forage oats, too, but they won't tolerate hard freezes, at all.

Just checked the market, again....wheat closed up 35 cents....wish it would go to $10....I gots a buncha bushels that I haven't sold, yet. ;)

Buckrub
07-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Our food plots are almost always 50/50 wheat and bob oats. Considering how much we plant, it's about all we can afford. It works fairly well.