PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron

Buckrub
07-14-2014, 06:32 PM
In a few weeks, I'm going to have a massive online garage sale. A few guns, hunting stuff, fishing stuff, this and that.

I have a ton of cast iron that I use. But I have two units I'd sell. Both are rusty, and can easily be restored, but I have similar units that are functional and just don't need them, or the time to restore them. One is a huge dutch oven with two lids........only markings are "12" on bottom. The other is a slightly smaller pot, no lid. No markings.

Any idea what I should ask for them?? Even a few dollars is meaningful. I have a purpose and a goal to reach in the sale.

Big Muddy
07-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Where ya gonna list all your stuff for sale on the web???....Craigslist, Ebay???....let us know....heck, some of us might be interested in bidding.

You gonna deliver to Lake Village??? ;)

Thumper
07-14-2014, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure I understand the "on-line" part. Like Eddie asked ... where? On the cast iron ... unless it's worth decent $$$, I'd say Craig's List (local) is the way to go. Shipping that heavy crap will soak up any profit unless it's a very desirable piece. No markings "could" be Chinese even.

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

Buckrub
07-14-2014, 07:26 PM
arkansashunting.net is a state website with over 1,000 members. There is a Trading Post forum, and it's quite robust. I will start there. I have bought some stuff there, and sold some. Every time it's been with someone that's a 'good guy', and best of all they are somewhat local. I don't have to ship and they are folks that someone else knows personally. It's worked out quite well. So, I will start there. It's where I bought the popup 2 years ago, and bought mother's car, and it has been good to deal with local folks, all hunters with similar outlooks as I have. I am buying a chest freezer for the farm from a guy there, if he ever gets home from working out of state. There are almost zero reported bad transactions there.

If that doesn't work out, I don't know where I'll turn. I don't know Ebay but might try that.

The cast iron is just two minor pieces.........if I got a little bit, I'd be happy. It is just something I don't know how to price.

I'd deliver to Lake Village, but can't imagine that you'd want anything I have. But yeah, I'd love to finally meet you.

Chicken Dinner
07-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Do you have any idea at all how old they are? Pictures , including the bottom, would be helpful.

Captain
07-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Tell me what you want for the Dutch oven with the 2 lids? I'll send you a check. Just hang on to it and bring it next time you come to SC to see your daughter or send it by her if she comes out that way first, and I'll meet up with her sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
07-14-2014, 09:31 PM
I have no idea. That's my problem. If you have any clue, tell me what that number is, and give me half of it, and it's yours.

No, wait. Heck, if you want it, I'll give it to you. Geez, it ain't like I don't owe you more than I own, anydangway! :)

And she just left here last week! Dang.

Captain
07-14-2014, 09:43 PM
I would not have a clue. If it's rusty I guess it will have to be cleaned with vinegar and seasoned right? I'd have to study up on that a bit? Search around and if you come up with a price email me. I'll be in no hurry to get it. But I'll send the check on. It would cost too much to mail. We will get together soon enough.

Buckrub
07-14-2014, 09:48 PM
No. It's yours.

You've already paid for it. Do you want the small one without lid too?

I could fix it up, I've done it.......but my secondary purpose is to get RID of so much inherited b/s that I can't walk in my garage, literally. Sometimes you can simply take a brush and soap and water (the ONLY time you use soap and water on cast iron is to 'start over') and get it way down to almost clean. Then coat with bacon grease and cook in oven at 500 degrees, maybe several times. If it's real bad, some folks use Lye to 'start over'........past that, there are probably other methods but I don't know them.

No, I can't mail it.........but it might be Xmas before I-40 is traveled again that way.......................dang.

Captain
07-14-2014, 09:53 PM
No hurry, But I'll not take it without paying.
The whole purpose was to put some coin in your pocket. So sell it out right elsewhere if you ain't letting me pay...
We will figure out. Look around the net and come up with some figure.

Buckrub
07-14-2014, 09:56 PM
You're obstinate. I didn't say it was free. I said you have ALREADY paid. And I have a long list of stuff to sell, and the secondary reason is to make room in my danged nightmare of a garage.

I own it. Thus, I decide what to do with it. And I'm selling it to you for "cash considerations already submitted". Deal with it.

Thumper
07-15-2014, 07:49 AM
I'm no expert on CI and ask many questions here. I've just recently started getting interested in the stuff, purely from a "commercial" stand-point ... not for personal use. In order to make half way intelligent decisions, I've tried studying up on what's out there and what's "hot". The "no-name" stuff isn't the greatest (for resale) although the quality "can" be just as good as the branded stuff. Some major manufacturers have made "non-branded" CI for retail stores. Look at Sears ... they sell TONS of Craftsman stuff, but they don't make it. Buy a washer from Sears, it may be a "Whirlpool". Lodge might make CI for K-mart ... who knows? The difference is, they will not put their name on it. My mom has a cast iron skillet she's cooked with all my life. I asked where she got it and she said it was a wedding gift. That was 1951. But, there are zero markings on the skillet (I think there's a single number, like a 10 or 12, don't remember) For all I know, it came from a hardware store or maybe Montgomery Wards. That's where the problem lies. How to tell the difference? I really don't know. For resale, I avoid the non-branded stuff simply because I don't know enough about what I'm doing, plus it's a tough sell anyway. If the weight and quality looks good and it's OLD ... I assume it would probably be something cool to keep as "user-grade" CI for home or even camping use (like my mom's skillet). A non-branded piece of CI "could" be a top quality Grizwold ... who knows?

On the flip side, here's a full set of CI available on eBay for $51 ... and that price INCLUDES shipping! It comes out of Iowa, but the ad doesn't say who makes it or where it's made ... I can make an educated guess though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gourmet-5-Piece-Cast-Iron-Cookware-Set-Camping-Home-Dutch-Oven-Griddle-New-/191248140390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c87470866

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/6V4AAOxyTjNSll4L/$_12.JPG