PDA

View Full Version : Well that was a nice summer we just had.

jb
07-15-2014, 01:30 PM
High today about 56, right now it's 54, cool breeze off the bay, dark clouds, light rain.
This sucks for the middle of July. .:disgust:.

Captain
07-15-2014, 03:16 PM
It's was 150,000 degrees yesterday and I worked out in it all day. Went I to the SC house about 7:30 last night and the AC unit was out. It was 92 inside the house.
Fix it man suppose to be here at 1 so he's only 2 hours late. It's a million plus in the house right now. Had to shut windows because of one hell of a thunderstorm just rolled through.
I swear I'm sweating taking a shower! My 3rd today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2014, 03:23 PM
You don't own a fan?

BKB

Captain
07-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Not even one. But I will buy some for down here. Ceiling fans are just stirring the hot air so I cook more evenly.
Guy just left, two capacitors and cleaned the coil while he was here.
Probably take till about October to cool the house back down.
Cold shower time and headed to Chesterfield to sit in a nice COLD restaurant till they close.... :D

Thumper
07-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Sheesh! Don't you remember my post a while back? Somebody here had a/c probs. and I asked if the unit tried to come on but the fan wasn't working. I always keep a spare capacitor in the top of my toolbox for these things. VERY COMMON problem and it's like changing a lightbulb to get up and running again. Next time, borrow a screwdriver from that red-headed kid ... I know he has a nice set. ;)

Sunshine
07-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Will be glad to get back into the 70's.
Had a weird storm come through the other night.
No rain but it lightening and thundered like hell.
This is not our regular weather.
Had two fires start from the lightening. None near me, thank goodness.
My bedroom air conditioner been going none stop for two weeks.

Buckrub
07-15-2014, 06:11 PM
High today about 56, right now it's 54, cool breeze off the bay, dark clouds, light rain.
This sucks for the middle of July. .:disgust:.

You're joking, right? I'd give a firstborn for such July weather....

Big Skyz
07-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Ditto what Bucky said!

Captain
07-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Sheesh! Don't you remember my post a while back? Somebody here had a/c probs. and I asked if the unit tried to come on but the fan wasn't working. I always keep a spare capacitor in the top of my toolbox for these things. VERY COMMON problem and it's like changing a lightbulb to get up and running again. Next time, borrow a screwdriver from that red-headed kid ... I know he has a nice set. ;)

The two "things" he replaced looked like coils on an older car. One had about 4 wires and one had 3 wires connected to them. Don't care nothin' about working on it myself. I just as soon help put that fellers kids through school.

Thumper
07-15-2014, 06:40 PM
He prolly shotgunned it and replaced both (start & run capacitors) just to be safe. Prolly only had one bad, unless you left the unit on and burned up bof'em. They just plug in ... easy-peasy. They run $2.00 - $10.00 ... what'd it cost you? How much did you suffer with that heat waiting for someone to show up? You'll rebuild a dang tractor but you won't plug in a new capacitor?

This one is $2.00 ... buy a spare and store it for emergencies. http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/motors/parts-motor/motor-capacitors/supco-round-run-capacitor-15-370v?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CJCq_suwyL8CFc3m7Aodw2UABQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://i21.geccdn.net/site/images/large/B461386.jpg

Captain
07-15-2014, 06:45 PM
$134.00 bucks for the service and parts, he didn't know it but I'd paid double that!
On a side note HVAC is all Cheryl's dad has ever done. Guess I could have called him.

Thumper
07-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Well, heck, we were texting yesterday ... I could'a told ya' ... I just assumed you'd already checked the easy stuff. Dad prolly has a couple dozen of 'em in the barn someplace. You know ... if you hit the light switch and there's no light ... I'd think you'd check the light bulb before calling an electrician. ;)

Captain
07-15-2014, 07:01 PM
The only thing I checked was the vent and there was no cold air coming out if it.

Thumper
07-15-2014, 07:22 PM
OUCH!! The start capacitor gives the fan a jolt to get it turning, then the run capacitor kicks in and keeps it going. The compressor was prolly running ... the fan just wasn't coming on. If the start capacitor craps out, many times you can just take a stick and give the fan blade a shove to get it going, then the run capacitor will take over until the unit shuts down again.

Yeah I know ... hindsight is 20-20. ;)

FUNDERBURK??? WTF? ;)

Captain
07-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Something you said that is wrong or at least in this case. The fan that turns, (spins) on the outside unit (on top) is NOT the fan that the switch on the thermostat inside cuts on. When you turn the "fan on" switch on the thermostat inside it cuts on the squirrel cage fan under the house that blows air through the duct work.
If I started the fan on top of the outside unit with a stick it would still cut off when the unit does. You would have to go out and start it each time.
Don't you know nothing?

Thumper
07-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Ummmm ... I think I said that ...

... then the run capacitor will take over until the unit shuts down again.

Ok, so it was the air handler ... a little harder to get to ... same principle with capacitors though ... they both have fans. ;)

Captain
07-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Nope both fans were running, the air handled and the one on top of the unit. The compressor would not cut on because the capacitor was bad, both the start and run capacitors.

Niner
07-15-2014, 08:35 PM
A couple of months ago....when it just started getting hot down here. We turned on the AC, and it just blowed warm air. Long story short.....come to find out the compressor was bad. Repair dude called the parts house and found out that the unit was still under warranty....BARELY. The warranty expires this summer....I forget persacly when.

Anywhoo...they got the new compressor in (took a few days), charged it up and it was good to go. Thank GOD we only had to pay for the freon and the labor. A new compressor is about $2500 bucks by itself. And the darned money tree died in the hard feeeze last winter.
:biggrin

Thumper
07-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Well, sheeesh! I don't know what kinda redneck unit you have ... anyway, ya' needed a capacitor or two! ;)

Captain
07-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Not as long as I have the repairman's number I don't. :D

Arty
07-15-2014, 08:44 PM
I see a big problem.
He didn't say nuthin bout fixin the FLUX CAPACITOR.

Now you'll prolly have to call him back out next week.

Thumper
07-15-2014, 08:48 PM
That's a different problem Arty ... he'd need a PLUMBER if'n his toilet don't flux. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Thank you Professor Von Kleist!

And Mr Faraday of course.

BKB

Big Skyz
07-15-2014, 10:15 PM
This is some funny stuff I don't care who are!