PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cappy (or anybody interested)

Thumper
07-15-2014, 08:43 PM
I just dug out an old socket set I bought a few months ago at an estate sale. I brought it home, stuck it on a shelf and kinda forgot about it. I just stumbled upon it today and figured I'd get it cleaned up a bit, take some pics and list it on The Bay sometime soon. It just now hit me that you might be interested. It's an early Frank Mossberg set ... a large set ... and so far, I have it narrowed down to 1912-1915 (I'm 90% sure it's 1912). I don't have any pics yet, but it has the original wooden box and 30 pieces including a ratchet, extension, universal and a spark plug socket!

I'll post pics when I get some. In the meantime, here's the history of Mossberg. (anybody here interested?)

Company History

Frank Mossberg was a notable inventor and businessman in Attleboro, Massachusetts, a center for jewelry manufacturing in the 19th century. Mossberg was born in Wermland, Sweden in 1858 and had immigrated to America in 1882. After working as a draftsman for Brown & Sharpe for a few years, he began his first manufacturing business in 1889 as the Mossberg Manufacturing Company in Attleboro, Massachusetts. Another early business venture, the Mossberg Wrench Company, was also founded in Attleboro, probably in the early 1890s. (Mossberg Wrench might have been a subsidiary of Mossberg Manufacturing, although the exact relationship is not yet clear.)

The Mossberg companies were initially a maker of tools for the jeweler's trade, but by the early 1890s had begun producing several styles of adjustable bicycle wrenches, which were very popular tools at the time. Several patents for adjustable wrenches were issued to Mossberg in the 1890s, with assignments made to the Mossberg Wrench Company.

In 1899 Frank Mossberg and other investors founded the Frank Mossberg Company to manufacture tools, with the intended production of pipe wrenches, bicycle wrenches, and related items. The company was initially located in Providence, Rhode Island and operated independently of Mossberg's earlier business(es), but by 1900 the company had moved to Attleboro, and then in 1901 the earlier business operations were merged into the Frank Mossberg Company. By the early 1900s the company was producing bicycle wrenches in a number of styles, with names such as Sterling and Diamond.

As a side note, although apparently operating as a subsidiary of the Frank Mossberg Company, the Mossberg Wrench Company continued to operate under its own name until at least 1915 or so. In July of 1902 the Mossberg Wrench Company moved to Central Falls, Rhode Island, according to the Massachusetts Annual Statistics of Manufactures for 1902. Since the Central Falls location is known to have been marked on bicycle wrenches made by the Mossberg Wrench Company, this indicates that Mossberg Wrench continued to manufacture these tools after the consolidation with the Frank Mossberg Company. In later years Mossberg Wrench produced a variety of other products, including braiding machines for textile makers and equipment for the overhead line shafting.

Thumper
07-15-2014, 08:54 PM
I was wondering if O.F. Mossberg of Mossberg Firearms is any relation. They both came over from Sweden in the 1800's and when O.F. first got here, he worked in a bicycle plant. It would be interesting to know if there's any relation.

Thumper
07-16-2014, 06:41 AM
Well, I found the almost identical set on eBay. It's pretty cool considering it's age.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NFgxMjE1/z/8BMAAOxybxlTmMMp/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE0N1gxNTkw/z/ZfMAAOSwewJTmMOl/$_57.JPG?rt=nc

Captain
07-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Very cool. What are they going for? I noticed there are some "square" sockets in there. I've seen The times I needed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
07-16-2014, 09:43 AM
The one above went for $65. This one went for $76.50 ...

http://www.antiquepalaceemporium.com/ebaypics/t%20tools3.jpg

This one went for $65 ...

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA1MVgxNjAw/z/s-EAAOxyf1dTKKfZ/$_57.JPG

This is a smaller set that only has 19 sockets ... it went for $40.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjkxWDkyMQ==/z/H6MAAOSw4bVToDyC/$_57.JPG

Those are the only sold listings they have. ALL have some box issues ... mine does also (about a 2 1/2" - 3" piece missing from the edge of the lid, on the side) ... but it's all in one piece and the lid latches (orig. latch). It appears the hinges were replaced many years ago (they're old) ... but, generally, it's in pretty good shape considering. I'll get some pics today if I can (I'm busy dealing with a big oak that fell in my yard at 4:00 am ... the OTHER half of the one that fell last week).

I'm not sure how "usable" this set would be, it's more of a "collector" type thing. This was made before the days of thick-walled, hardened steel and there are 3-4 sockets that were obviously over-torqued and split. I notice the same on some of the sold items above, so it was a common problem I'm sure. I bought it at a sale in Tampa and didn't know the people selling. They were pretty proud of it, but it was just too cool to leave behind, so I bought it anyway. I paid $25 and I'd ship it flat rate at $12.35. I was going to follow the trend and list it for $60-$70, but if you want it ... I'd just take $50 to cover my gas money to Tampa. ;)

This set has the box, 27 sockets including the spark plug socket (one socket is a morphodite and isn't original), there is a swivel socket, an 8" extension and the (reversible) ratchet. The ratchet says, "Frank Mossberg Co, Attlesboro, Mass. USA No.350 Pat. Nov. 11, 1912. The extension has the same markings but is No. 351. Most of the pieces are marked with Mossberg's "Diamond-M" logo.

Captain
07-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Go ahead and throw it up on eBay. While cool as hell and if it was a piece a family member had I would want it but I really don't need it....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
07-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Well, here ya' go, I snapped a few quick pics for ya'. I haven't cleaned it up any so it's in "as found" condition here. The pics look small, but for perspective, that's a 10" ratchet.

3298 3299 3300

Thumper
07-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Ha! Didn't see your post up there. Guess I was posting while you were. I'll go ahead and list it. I'll prolly hang onto it for another week or so in case anyone else here is interested. It's a neat piece, but I just bought it for resale.

Thumper
07-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Ha! I just re-read the above and am not sure if it was understood I'd be picking up the postage for that price. In case anyone is interested, that $50 is the TOTAL price at the Good Hunting "good guy rate". I'll be hanging onto it for a while in case anyone's interested.