PDA

View Full Version : This Is Gonna Happen

BarryBobPosthole
07-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Sure as shootin'.

Bud Selig, as a magnificent (in his eyes) parting gesture to baseball and to the free christian world, will pardon Pete Rose of all his sins and reinstate him into the running for the HOF and allow him to show his face at MLB events and such. Shortly thereafter, Pete Rose will make an ass out of himself at one of those events and such.

My prediction. You heard it here first, July 16, 2014.

BKB

Buckrub
07-16-2014, 04:15 PM
I hope you're half right.

Cards01
07-16-2014, 04:30 PM
I agree the 1st half would be GREAT and is long overdue

Thumper
07-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Kinda like a leopard changing his spots? I guess O.J. was a good example of that. Nothing like beating a double murder rap, then going to jail because you're stupid. Is Rose known for his stupidity also?

Big Muddy
07-16-2014, 05:48 PM
I heard him speaking on an ESPN interview about a week ago, and he appeared to have his head screwed on correctly....very reserved, humble, and remorseful.....I think he's paid his dues, and I'll be rooting for him.

Buckrub
07-16-2014, 05:55 PM
I don't care if he's remorseful, an idiot, or slobbers on himself.

What he did is not only NOT wrong, it is something that should be REQUIRED for every single ballplayer!!!!! He bet on baseball, sure enough. 100% of the time, he bet on his OWN team to win..............and never bet on them to lose! If he had bet on his team to lose while playing or managing, they should have shot him. But to bet on your team to win............and then go try and make that happen, with your own money riding on it??? Should be a requirement.

He didn't use steroids, and he hit a million. In fact, he is the answer to a great beer-bet trivia question. "Which father-son tandem has the most hits ever in the major leagues?" Many say Griffey/Jr., or one of the Bells, etc...........nope, it's Petey and his boy. His boy had ONE HIT! And they still win that one!

quercus alba
07-16-2014, 06:16 PM
There have been players/managers/commisioner have done things more embarrassing and damaging to baseball than Pete Rose and they haven't been castigated to near the extent he has. I hope Rose beats the crap out of Selig before he steps down.

Big Muddy
07-16-2014, 06:23 PM
In the ESPN interview, Rose said he and Selig had gotten to be very close friends, so Phole may be correct with his prediction.

BarryBobPosthole
07-16-2014, 06:24 PM
You might not think its wrong, but it was against the rules. I guess it doesn't matter what the rules are as long as you do or don't agree with them.

Pshaw.

Selig is an ass and so is Rose. They deserve to go down in the ANALS (not annals) of baseball history arm in arm and together.

It pains me that Selig and the sports media will castigate players for PEDs back when baseball owners and management and mainly Selig sat back on their laurels KNOWING that it was going on but doing nothing to enforce it or in most cases even have a rule. Mark McGwire broke no rule. He took no banned substances, that meaning substances that were banned at the time. Pete Rose BROKE the rules. And here these righteous people will clamour for Bigmouth and cuss McGwire in teh same breath. Selig could have fixed it with leadership as an owner but he chose not to. For money. That makes him a whore in my estimation. And then he allowed the whole thing to fester as commissioner for the same reason.....big money that the PED users were drawing to baseball (think McGwire and Sosa alone in ticket sales). That makes him a pimp.

Suffice it to say I won't regret his moving on to whatever cheesy enterprise he has in mind in Milwaukee.

BKB

Buckrub
07-16-2014, 06:52 PM
I already said what I thought that the rules should be.

For someone that's so danged determined to enforce every law, you sure do crawfish when it comes to immigration laws that exist.

Oh well.

quercus alba
07-16-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure this has ever happened before but I think I agree with both Buckrub AND Posthole. In principle at least

BarryBobPosthole
07-16-2014, 07:19 PM
The immigration law that I believe currently exists calls for minor illegals to be brought before a judge prior to deporting them back to their home country. I don't know why they are being shipped all over creation. Instead of blathering about its this person or that person's fault, I have not heard a single word abotu repealing that 2008 law that mandated that, and I haven't heard anyone explaining why these people can't get in front of a judge more quickly than they are. I've heard about all the bullshit I want to hear about this 'immigration crisis'. The whole thing is a sham, a shill, and a political exercise in corruptness.

and this thread is about baseball, not politics. Post reported.

BKB

LW
07-16-2014, 07:24 PM
My issue with him is that he bet on his team while managing. Did he or could he have been tempted to ride a pitcher too long in order to win a bet? The door was certainly open for it to happen. Plus he was a Red. Plus he is an ass.

Buckrub
07-16-2014, 07:29 PM
If you make a point, you have to be consistent.

I said what I wanted to say about baseball and Pete. You replied. I answered, requiring said consistency. Report away. You have said that there is "no real way" to deport all the illegals. That means that you are NOT, as you claim, a strict adherent to all rules, just the ones you like. And I don't want the 2008 law repealed, nor do I want any of the immigration laws repealed that say you can't just walk into here and expect total leniency, simply because it's too "hard" to deport you. Neener neener.

And For The Record:

Back during the great depression, Herbert Hoover ordered the deportation of ALL illegal aliens in order to make jobs available to American citizens that desperately needed work.

Harry Truman deported over two million illegal aliens after WWII to create jobs for returning veterans.

In 1954 Dwight Eisenhower deported 13 million Mexicans. The program was called Operation Wetback. It was done so WWII and Korean War veterans would have a better chance at jobs. It took two years, but they deported them!

And I still like Pete Rose and the way he played. It's a game.

Oh, and since you are such a stickler for the exact ruling of laws, MLB Rule 21 (d), section ii, says:
" Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall
bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which
the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."

So, since Pete has not played or managed a single game since being found "guilty" of quote "betting on baseball", then he's not breaking any laws. There is nothing in that RULE that says he is ineligible for the HOF.

LW
07-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Thats like saying somebody that kills another person isnt guilty because he didnt kill them at the same time he was convicted. And Petes an ass.

Buckrub
07-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Thats like saying somebody that kills another person isnt guilty because he didnt kill them at the same time he was convicted. And Petes an ass.

Sincerely, I'm not following that. It may be a good point, but it lost me.

The RULE simply says that a person who bets on baseball is ineligible. Any lawyer could easily prove that means ineligible to play, and probably manage. But that's the extent of the rule. If we want to say rules MUST be followed, I'm for that. But let's be clear what they are, and let's apply that principle to all walks of our life. That's all I'm saying.

And for what it's worth, it was my best friend Posty that accused me of cherry picking which rules I want to follow.......I merely held up a mirror. I didn't propose that first............

No bigger ass ever existed than Ty Cobb. Would you vote him out?

LW
07-16-2014, 08:05 PM
I never had to deal with Ty Cobb. Couldnt say whether I would or not.

Hombre
07-17-2014, 09:56 AM
People should be voted in or out of the HOF on their contributions to the sport, and Pete deserves to be in their as well as all the PED users. If you want asterick people but the HOF is a history museum and the era of PEDs, corruption or anything else I'd like to see in.

BarryBobPosthole
07-17-2014, 11:17 AM
In reality, MLB nor Selig is what's keeping him out of the HOF. MLB just banned him from being around MLB. The baseball HOF is who made him ineligible for the HOF and Selig doesn't have a direct impact on that.

BKB