PDA

View Full Version : This is the way it was......

Big Muddy
07-16-2014, 11:57 PM
An old buddy of mine sent this to me....I was in my early teens and was the loader boy for my Dad, who started crop dusting, right after his Air Force service, as a flight instructor.
He started out with a little J-3 Cub....I wish I had a penny for every pound of fertilizer, DDT, crop seed, and some sorta sheeit called "black Annie dust", that I loaded by hand into that little yellow airplane. …;)

http://vimeo.com/69854648

I think I posted this pic of an old J-3 a while back, for some reason or another....anywho, this is just like the one my Dad owned, except the hopper tank had been installed, where the rear passenger seat is located.

Sunshine
07-17-2014, 12:17 AM
On our way back from eastern wa, last month, I had one come across the road right in front of me.
Scared the hell out of me.

If I had been 1/2 minute earlier he would of taken my cab off.
Those guys are nuts!!! :)
He looked like he was having fun buzzing everyone on the road.

Big Muddy
07-17-2014, 01:11 AM
Hahaha.....Sunny, I'm pretty sure he knew exactly how much leeway he had to keep from taking off your truck cab....ag pilots are all prolly a little crazy for flying 6 feet above the ground at 100 miles per hour, but believe me, they don't like, hitting things with their planes. ;)

Captain
07-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Pretty cool Eddie. They still use planes around here some but about everyone has gone to helicopters now. It all still looks neat to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
07-17-2014, 07:33 AM
We usually see a few crop dusting planes on ou r way up through Iowa and Minnesota every year. And they still do a lot down in the Arkansas River bottoms down south of me a ways. I love to watch them work.

I still say one of the coolest things I've seen a person o in a flying machine is that guy we saw clearing the right of way for the high line with a helicopter out by Shenandoah when we went fishing there. Talk about precision flying.

BKB

Captain
07-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Yea that was pretty intense. I sure would hate to be in a deer stand with that thing around....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner