PDA

View Full Version : rabbit recipes

quercus alba
07-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Thru no fault of my own, I have become the owner of 1 buck and 2 doe rabbits. The does are Hass and Feiffer and the buck is Thunder lips. Today Thunder lips got his first conjugal visit. Twice. With each doe. So unless he is sterile (in which case his name will be changed to Stew) in about 3 months I'll be in need of some good rabbit recipes.

My wife was in charge of the breeding (as are most wives) said "wow he's quicker than you". Not seeing any graceful retort, I merely smiled.

At least thunder lips got lucky today

Buckrub
07-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Proper response was "and EXTREMELY smaller"........

Thumper
07-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Thumper ALWAYS gets lucky! (He's irresistible) ;)

I once got lucky on a cold winter day. When I dropped my pants, Ol' Buford was cold and shrunk down to about 1" ... that gal looked at me and asked, "Who do you think you're gonna satisfy with THAT little thing?"

I looked her straight in the eye and replied, "ME!!" ;)

Big Muddy
07-18-2014, 09:12 AM
QA, that reminds me of an incident, several years ago, when my young 10 year old son wanted to make some money, and decided to raise rabbits....I told him I'd loan him the start-up money, but he was to run it just like a business, and had to pay me back.

He started with a buck and five does, and they were VERY prolific....he would dress them out, package them nicely, and had no trouble selling them to the local townsfolk....he was doing well with his little business, paid me back the loan, and was really learning something about running a small business.

After several months, I happened to notice that a few of his rabbits were losing splotches of fur....a week or so later, more rabbits began losing their fur....I asked the vet, and he said it was prolly just a skin disorder, and gave me some meds, which were to be dissolved in their drinking water.

No improvement, and more and more rabbits lost more and more of their fur, and were very skinny and lethargic....it was a pitiful sight, and young son was learning the tough lesson about losing money in a business.

I asked young son, if he was doing anything different that could possibly be causing the problem....he said no, but confessed that he had been feeding the rabbits dry dog food, from MY dog's feed bin, but didn't think it would hurt anything....he said he was just trying to increase his "profit margin".

Long story-short....we found out that the rabbits weren't getting ANY nutrients from the dry dog food, only empty calories, and that caused them to lose both their fur and weight ....I mean, many of them were totally naked, and let me tell you, a naked rabbit is an ugly sight !!! ;)

Young son learned a valuable lesson about cutting expenses to make more money.

quercus alba
07-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Rabbits primary food source is hay, yeah i know it doesn't sound right but that's what the experts say. I supplement it with rabbit pellets and fresh veggies. Mine will be strictly for the freezer, none will be sold. in arkansas, a vet has to sign off on every rabbit you sell. $9 per head.

Big Muddy
07-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Yep, young son was "suppose" to have fed them rabbit pellets and alfalfa hay, which are rather expensive....the dog food was lots less expensive, so he thought he could turn a bigger profit....all he got was skinny naked rabbits. ;)

Now THIS is a healthy rabbit !!!