PDA

View Full Version : We spanked their arses today!

Captain
07-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Fished from 11 to 4 today and took 94 between the 3 of us. Live bait, cool water and some live action!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Buckrub
07-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Great job! Big old fishes!

Niner
07-18-2014, 05:26 PM
VERY nice there, Cap'n! Very nice indeed.

They have strippers about that size in Lake West Point (near me), and every spring they make a run up the Chattahoochee River. The one's I've seen posted online by folks that catch them are about that size anyways.

What kind of tackle do y'all use on those jokers? Just regular bass sized rod/reel/line or do ya have to go a step or two larger? How hard are they for a fella to reel in? If it's more than my back can handle, I'll just forget about trying for them. :(

LW
07-18-2014, 05:39 PM
STRIPPERS???? I'm in.

Buckrub
07-18-2014, 06:01 PM
I think the Arkansas state record is about 70 or 80 lbs for strippers. That's a bit light for my tastes, but I guess it less of a strain on the pole....

:headbang

Big Skyz
07-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Nice Captain, I've never caught a striper but it sure looks like fun!

Captain
07-18-2014, 06:45 PM
They are a Horse to crank in. Especially in the fast current river.

Niner I fish with a 7' 9" G Loomis Medium Heavy rod. Shimano reel with with 30 lb PowerPro line. I use a 20 lb Fluorocarbon leader.
Have taken them up to 35 pounds on this set up. And had my clocked cleaned many times by bigger fish. Had one spooled off all the line once also.
We had some issues with the power pro "splitting" apart. And used some Nanofill line today with good results too. Man is that line slick.
A 10 fish will feel like a 20 lb fish in this current and a 30 plus pound fish will be like trying to pull in a 4 wheel drive truck. They are horses.

quercus alba
07-18-2014, 07:10 PM
I don't want to be the one to start no trouble but with posthole being gone, I thought maybe I was the only one who noticed that all those fish appear to be the same size

being a junior noticer I could be mistooken

Big Skyz
07-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Anything that can split Power Pro is a fish I want to catch!!! Dang!

Captain
07-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Sky it was not breaking it was splitting apart. I don't know how to explains it. Imagine a rope and you twist it the wrong way and it starts to separate in the middle where you can see through it. That's what the line did several times today. You literally had two "strands" of line you could see through. And not at the end or near the hook, several feet up the line. We would cut and retire the leader so I don't know if it weakened the line or not. I would guess it would. Once we noticed it happening we kept a pretty good check for it the rest of the day and saw the same condition maybe 6 or 7 times. The way we first noticed it was one of the two "sides" of the line would twist up and make a knot and the other side would not making a funny looking very small "bird nest".
Never seen power pro or any other braid do this. Weird.
Wish now I had made a picture of it, but I was busy catching feesh. :D

And QA.... Bite me! ;)

Thumper
07-18-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm with LW ... count me in. (where are THOSE pics?) ;)

Captain
07-18-2014, 07:57 PM
You will have to ask Niner, I didn't mention Stripers or Strippers. ;)

Niner
07-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Okokokokokokokkokok......guess I'll need to get my waddders on.
:pistols