PDA

View Full Version : RV Insurance

johnboy
07-22-2014, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure who here tows or drives an rv of some kind but a word of advice - check your insurance policy very, very carefully and understand what EXACTLY they are saying in there with all the weasel words. I worked for years in our legal dept and thought I had a pretty good understanding of contracts and contract law but dealing with these guys makes me feel like a one armed man trying to nail an eel to a fence post. They are that slippery.

I have a " full replacement value" policy so it sounds like it should be simple - just give me the money to buy another similar rv. Not that simple, it seems.

Anyway, the fun continues but I am determined to push this to the limit cause they pissed me off.

Buckrub
07-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Who is it with? I just added the trailer to State Farm.....where I've been for 43 years.

BarryBobPosthole
07-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Bucky, I was with State Farm for 35+ years. One thing I learned is that it may mean something to you, but it don't mean jack diddly squat to them. I left 'em when I called to ask about filing a claim on my homeowner's insurance for some theft I'd had and they told me there was a good chance they'd cancel my policy if I filed the claim. It flabbergasted me at the time. I'd filed exactly ONE claim in all those 35 years.

I need to check my boat policy too, John. Good advice.

BKB

Buckrub
07-22-2014, 06:57 PM
My daughter works for an insurance company. Nothing means anything to any of them. What being there 43 years means, and not much else, is that I get every discount they offer. 15 minutes spent checking another policy's rates is a waste of 20 minutes for me.

quercus alba
07-22-2014, 06:59 PM
maybe Obamacare needs to branch out into auto and property

Captain
07-22-2014, 07:26 PM
maybe Obamacare needs to branch out into auto and property

He's gonna leave that for Queen Hillary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BarryBobPosthole
07-22-2014, 07:31 PM
That's Mr Queen Hillary to you sir.

BKB

Captain
07-22-2014, 07:47 PM
I stand corrected... ;)

jb
07-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Captain
07-22-2014, 09:03 PM
That's funny JB....

johnboy
07-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Bucky, It's a Canadian company so probably no one you ever heard of. Just a heads up to read your policy and make sure it's actually covering what you think it's covering. Ask questions of your agent if you are unclear in any way. A lesson learned is to be absolutely clear on your coverage BEFORE the accident happens.

Big Muddy
07-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Just curious, Johnboy, what are they trying to gut you about???

johnboy
07-23-2014, 06:27 PM
I think the problem is my lack of understanding of the process. It all seemed pretty simple to me - trailer is wrecked and I have a full replacement value policy so give me a check for the stated amount and I'm outa your hair. Apparently it's not that simple.

I'm sure this will all work out in the end but I find dealing with these people is an exercise in frustration. They demand lots of info from me but will not tell me what they will or won't do. It's like pulling teeth. I shoulda known better than to think this would be straight forward.

Buckrub
07-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Has their adjuster viewed the damage???

Thumper
07-23-2014, 07:36 PM
I guess I've been pretty lucky. Any claim I've ever had has been taken care of to my satisfaction ... many times, even better than I expected. One time I bought a brand new truck for my company and put an employee in it who totaled it within 3 weeks! Of course, a vehicle depreciates as soon as you drive it off the lot. The insurance company paid off the truck, but I bitched that I'd traded an old beater truck on it, so I had a bit of equity involved. They sent me another check and I actually came out about $100 ahead. I guess that's about the only time I came close to getting screwed ... but it worked out for the better.

BarryBobPosthole
07-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Have you been able to get those truck seat covers out of your ass yet?

BKB

Thumper
07-23-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm sure they're stained. ;)

johnboy
07-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Yup, adjuster says trailer is a total write off and yup, pucker factor was in full force. Probably couldn't have driven a needle up there with a hammer afterwards. ;D

Buckrub
07-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Well, if the adjuster says total loss, and you insured it for X dollars, then you just have to play their silly game and surely they'll pay off.........

You can always use my bluff trick.........if it gets crazy, and you've escalated to the top......and still nothing, just say "Man, I am going to take out a FULL page color ad in the XYZ newspaper and tell them what a runaround you guys are giving me"............

Thumper
07-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Or do it by the book and contact whatever your equivalent is to an Insurance Commissioner up there ... and let them know beforehand you're going that route.