PDA

View Full Version : And why is it

Captain
08-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Y'all get into these LONG, arguments when I'm busy fishing and can't play?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
08-01-2014, 08:43 PM
'Cause that's the only time we can badmouth you and get away with it. :D

LJ3
08-01-2014, 09:39 PM
I'd say you got the better end of the deal, Larke :)

BarryBobPosthole
08-01-2014, 09:48 PM
As is typical of Goodhunting, the longest posts are the arguments about stuff none of us can change anyway. But it does get our dander up once in a while and that's a good thing.

Me? I'm writing in Jimmy Carter in this next presidentiL election justecayse I like Niner so much.

BKB

Arty
08-01-2014, 10:05 PM
I'll make you a deal Larke.
You take me striper fishing.

1)I'll bring my phone.
2)I'll read you posts from here to you while you drive, bait up hooks or whatever it is you do...
3)I'll reel a big ole fat tasty Striper in.
4)Then I'll type back your reply.

It's a 3 for 1. You still fish. You're still up to date here...and I GET TO EAT ROCKFISH!!! :biggrin

Captain
08-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Arty we can go catch them feesh if you want to, but I have never kept even one Striper. Every one we catch goes right back in the ribber....
There is normally 3 of us Fishing, we buy 15 dozen Herrin at the bait shop and depending on which guy is there they will normally give us 2 or 3 extra dozen. So we start with around 200 baits.
Between the three of us we will boat 90 to a hundred Stripers on average. Most will be in the 3 to 6 pound range but we get a lot of "over 10's" too. And sometimes we hook on to some really big boys 20 and 30 pounds (or better). In that we fish some pretty light tackle we loose most of them to rocks, tree snags in the river, sometimes they will dump the spool in the current and break off, but they are fun to hook up on and every so often we will actually boat one!
We are fishing very cold water that comes out of the bottom of Lake Murray in SC. There is a section of a river folks cannot get to with a boat because of rock shoals both up and down river. A buddy of mine bought some land in the middle of that section and put in a concrete landing so we could get in that section. We see the occasional tuber or kayaker as that's about it the whole time we are out there. It all makes for a very relaxing day... :D

BarryBobPosthole
08-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Larke, since you're fishing a tailwater I'm wondering if that is also stocked with rainbows. We have a tailwater situation somewhat like you're describing and the river empties into the Arkansas river ten or eleven miles below the dam. That part of the river is a designated trout stream and the stripers come up out of the Arkansas River and chow down on the trout. Good old bigguns and big old gooduns.

BKB

Captain
08-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Posthole, that place is full of Rainbows. In fact that is what happens to a lot of our bait. Those rainbow bastages steel a lot of it. You can tell their "hit" is totally different than the Striper. The Rainbows will sorta mouth it and you will feel a tap sorta like a bass does a plastic worm. The Stripers will hit so hard they will jerk the rod out of your hand if you are not careful. Most of the times when the trout hits and you set the hook you do not connect. They just steal the bait. But every once in a great while you will get a hook on one if them bait-stealers. :D

BarryBobPosthole
08-02-2014, 10:46 AM
The striper fishermen down on the Lower Illinois will catch a limit of little rainbows and then go use them as bait for stripers. Not sure of the legality of it but it appears to work pretty well. Might be worth checking into. I don't know if there's turbines on those gates but its also likely the shad are pretty stunned when they go through those gates and the rainbows are stacked up in there waiting for a free meal like a hobo on a baloney sammich as Roy D would say. They do that on the White and Norfork rivers over in Arkansas too.

BKB

Arty
08-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Now that sounds like a secret spot for sure!

Captain
08-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Now that sounds like a secret spot for sure!

It really is Arty. I should go down more than I do but about 6 or 8 times a summer is about all I go.

Posty that sound like a slick trick using the little rainbows as bait. They for sure would live a hard life in that section of the river.
We can only get up to within about 3 miles to the dam. The same set of shoals that keep folks out of "our" section of the river keeps us from going on up to the damn. We call it little Nigeria. There is a public boat landing west of little Nigeria where the public can put in and go up to the dam. That section of the river is harassed pretty heavy and I have no desire to be up there with all those boats. It's just easier to buy bait and be in a very secluded section if the river.
We have a fish marking system and release the fish. You would be surprised how many times we catch fish we already have marked that same year....

BarryBobPosthole
08-02-2014, 11:20 AM
I have looked into buying some tags and tagging some of the bigger bass we catch in the strip mines up where Keith and I fish but have never done it. I do know though that we catch the same fish quite often and we probably release 90% of the fish we catch. We caught one fish that we named Fire Marshall Bill because he looked pretty poorly when we caught him the first time, three times. The first time we caught him he went close to four pounds but was almost all head. Second time he'd lost down to just over three I think and the last time he was real raggedy looking and weighed about 2 1/2. I don't know if he was just old or what but he was sure still feeding well! No telling what he weighed in his prime. Over five I'll bet.
Anyway, that tagging or marking deal is pretty cool.

BKB

Captain
08-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Our marking system is VERY low-tech. The fish I catch I cut off about an inch of the top tail fin. My fishing buddy cuts off about the same on the bottom tail fin. The third guy don't cut the fish and claims every fish we catch that ain't marked is one he has caught before. (Most of them of course) so he says he's the best fisherman. . Anyone that I take marks them with my cut and anyone my friend takes marks them with his mark... The tail grows back over the winter so it does the fish no harm but it's cool to see how many you do catch back with the marking. I could see you and Keith doing this!
And vary rarely we will catch one we both have caught and notched. Take Care, Captain