PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you dufes....

Captain
08-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Have a hard back copy of Ernest Hemingway's Old man and the sea? Or perhaps Thumper can find a copy at an estate sale.
Many years ago I had a paperback copy of the book. It has been put up in some safe place... Real safe, as in I can't remember and it will never be seen again safe place.... :-(
I'd love to have a hardback copy. Not looking for a first edition or one of those thousand dollar copies, just one to read, keep and enjoy...
Thought I'd try here first.
Take Care, Captain
PS. Anyway you want to ship it to me will be fine! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
08-03-2014, 05:21 PM
PS. Anyway you want to ship it to me will be fine! :D

Be sure to ship USPS book rate ... it's DIRT CHEAP shipping! No wait!!! WTF am I saying??? Nevermind! ;)

Cappy, if nobody here has one they don't want, I'll point you in the right direction. Back when I was selling gun books, I'd many times buy from this site, mark the book up a bazillion percent and re-sell it on eBay.

It's a site where most major book dealers have an association of sorts and list their used books. Google "Abe Books" or http://www.abebooks.com/

For "Old Man and the Sea" ... go here: (you can pick up a hard cover book for under $4.00 and they have 13,440 listings right now)

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=old+man+and+the+sea&sts=t&x=83&y=7

Of course you don't HAVE to, it's just a SUGGESTION! :D

BarryBobPosthole
08-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Captain, I thought for sure I had a copy but looked and can't seem to locate it. I recently reorganized my book shelves so it'd be easier to find stuff. Duh, that didn't work so well. If I run across it, I'll give you a shout but I think it's been checked out of my library and is prolly sitting on one of my kid's shelves. they seem to think Dad's books are everyone's books. Which is okay until I get a hankering to read something that ain't there.
I figured a hi tech guy like you would have it on his phone.
BKB

Captain
08-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks Thumper and Posty
Posthole, I did see where it was available in an audio book read by Donald Sutherland, a reader (actor) I like. That might be cool to have for trips. But I don't normally buy audio books. I do like them but usually go to the library and check some out if I've got a long trip to take. Never really thought of purchasing one...
I've not read that book in years. I'm sure I can read it now almost be surprised at some of it! :-)
That's just one I was looking for to leave at my SC place where I'm seldom disturbed and can have a good likker drink and turn pages in style....
Thumper, I see where there are a lot of paperbacks at your links and some not denoted either way. I tried to email one seller and could not without setting up an account. :-( I was going to order had it been a hard cover but it was not clear. So. If you got an account find me a hard cover, order it and ship it to me... I'll pay for the book, finders fee, your trouble and the shipping from you to me. :D

Thumper
08-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Cappy, you can narrow down your search over in the left margin. Heck, you can even narrow it down to signed copies only! Go here:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=old+man+and+the+sea&sts=t&x=83&y=7

Look over in the left margin and under "binding", click on "hard cover". The listings that come up will then be hard cover books only.

To be honest, I don't ever remember registering. There may be some dealers that only sell to other dealers (??). I don't really know why you got that message unless things have changed since I used to buy there. I still get email from them. You can sign up for a book search and every time that particular book becomes available, they'll notify you. I've been getting those emails for rare books I listed years ago and have simply never cancelled the search.

If you still have a problem, I'll just order one for you if you want ... but I don't know why there'd be a problem. I may even be able to make a purchase and have it shipped directly to you .. not sure.

Captain
08-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Need to get to a real computer. Looking at it on the iPhone is loosing something.

Thumper
08-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Ha ha! Ok, I understand. I won't even TRY to do anything on the internet with my iPhone unless I have to. I just get too danged frustrated with that little screen ... plus I usually have to sing in or up for some sort of app. .... or download something or other ... so I do the same ... wait until I get back to my PC. ;)

If I EVER want a book ... Abe is the first place I look. If they don't have what you want ... it just ain't frigging available! ;)

Captain
08-03-2014, 07:33 PM
When I refine the search for "The Old Man and the Sea" and ask for Hard cover only it changes my search and only shows me a book entitled "My" old man and the sea.... WTF? Not the same book...

Thumper
08-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Ha! Must be some sort of conflict with the iPhone. When I designate hard cover only, it brings up 3069 listings and the first bazillion are $3.39 with free shipping! Ya' may want to go home and check it out. ;)

Captain
08-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Are you sure it's for the old man in the sea or for "my" old man and the sea. I get about the same return numbers but for a different Book.

BarryBobPosthole
08-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Larke, get yourself a copy of 'A Sand County Almanac' by Aldo Leopold to take down to the SC house. I can't think of a better book to sit and read a few chapters of on that front porch with a glass of brown liquor.

BKB

Captain
08-03-2014, 08:17 PM
I'll do that very thing Posthole. Thanks. Never read that one.

Thumper
08-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Ha ha ha! You're right Cappy! I'm dealing with a guy on eBay who has a bazillion questions as well as searching for a place for Lynn and I to have dinner tonight and when I go to all bindings, it is Old Man and the Sea. When I designate hard cover only, I simply looked at the number of returns, but you're correct ... it's a different book! I didn't scan down to see if there are ANY correct hard covers ... but I now see what you've been TRYING to tell me. I'm not very good with my multitasking tonight! ;)

Captain
08-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Well I got on the real computer and searched and the same thing happened with the title switch when I searched for hardcover... So I searched Ernest Hemingway and THEN Old man and the sea and then Hardcover and got it. I also found and ordered the book by Aldo Leopold suggested by Posthole in Hardback also Both books are listed in Excellent Condition and both are Hardcover books. Free shipping and the total for both was $9.92..... WOW

Thumper you hit that one out of the park.
(I've been told that is Base-a-Ball talk for you done good) :D

Thanks, Captain

Thumper
08-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Don't count your chickens before they hatch big guy ... Abe ships via USPS! ;)

Captain
08-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Shipping wars already has it's own show... ;)

Chicken Dinner
08-04-2014, 09:29 AM
I'll second Aldo Leopold's "Sand County Almanac".