PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout this ebola stuff....

Niner
08-05-2014, 11:50 AM
A lot of folks are very vocal on both sideds of this thing.
Lots of folks saying they should not bring those Americans back into the country, others saying they HAVE to.

Seeing as how them folks are just "up the road" from here, I guess I might should be worried....but I'm not. I'm sure that the folks at Emory know the eyes of the world are upon them, so I am sure they are gonna use every precaution.....at least I hope they will.

I heard a good one on the radio this morning......"It would be harder to get the ebola virus out of Emory Hospital than it would be to get the truth out of Barak Obama." It stuck me as pretty funny....and I laughed out loud.

BarryBobPosthole
08-05-2014, 11:57 AM
There's lots of conspiracy theories going around about it too. Like the type that is affecting Africa this go-round is a weaponized version that spreads through the air, and so on and so on ad nauseum. I can't get too excited about ANY news these days. Fox and CNN have pretty much anesthetized me to news stories with their bullshit spins on stuff.

I hope they both get well!

BKB

Thumper
08-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Ditto ....... on EVERYTHING you just said.

johnboy
08-05-2014, 12:36 PM
bullshit spins = MSNBC

quercus alba
08-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Ebola is a blood-borne filovirus. If it was air-borne we'd all be dead now because it kills at one part per million. I'd be more worried about dying from the flu.

Chicken Dinner
08-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Nothing to worry about here, Bill. I mean no one ever goes into a hospital for surgery and contracts an unrelated infection. Just ask Thump...

LJ3
08-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Boom! ^^^

Seriously though. They're 'Muricans. Get 'em back here and try to get them all better and what not.

Thumper
08-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Yeppers, a hospital is one of the dirtiest places you can be ... no matter how "clean" it is. But like Len said, we simply don't abandon our own ... whether it's a situation like this or on the battlefield. That's what makes us different than much of the rest of the world. They were doing a true humanitarian service and should be taken care of. It's scary in some ways, but a necessity IMO.

LJ3
08-05-2014, 01:44 PM
We could use a nice virus to whack a bit of the population and scare the softhanded liberal types. It'd put us rednecks back in our rightful place at the top of the food chain.

I seen it on the fox news. Gotta be true.

johnboy
08-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Captain Trips! Mother Earth is certainly over run with our nasty human species and She usually has a way of dealing with that type of situation.

LW
08-05-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm kind of torn about this. Nobody held a gun to their head and made them go to africa. I bet you couldn't bring a piece of fruit from africa in to the country if you had too.
I'm also sure that these people were experts on ebola and how not to get it. They got it. There is a bunch of experts at Emory that know how not to contract it. I think it was a terrible lapse in judgement or at the very least a huge inconsistency in policy.

quercus alba
08-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Johnboy,
Captain trips was probably taken from Human African trypanosomiasis, also known as sleeping sickness, is a vector-borne parasitic disease. It is transmitted to humans by tsetse fly bites. The warthog is generally accepted as one of the most likely suspect as a carrier.

Nice play on words by King regardless

Flatlander
08-05-2014, 11:49 PM
I've got a cousin that used to work with ebola virus and the hemmoragic fever virus. They couldn't pay me enough to do that. They were in the book The Hot Zone.

quercus alba
08-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Richard Preston's book.....ebola Reston. A couple of DNA strands away from jumping species for an airborne version. Scary stuff. If you like stuff like that I'd suggest you read "The Coming Plague" by Laurie Garrett,

LJ3
08-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Richard Preston's book.....ebola Reston. A couple of DNA strands away from jumping species for an airborne version. Scary stuff. If you like stuff like that I'd suggest you read "The Coming Plague" by Laurie Garrett,

I work in Reston. We used to sneak on to Hazleton property for various reasons back in the day.

Thumper
08-06-2014, 09:44 AM
I work in Reston. We used to sneak on to Hazleton property for various reasons back in the day.

Well, THAT explains a LOT of things! ;)

quercus alba
08-06-2014, 12:27 PM
True story. Happened back about 78' at a quarantine holding facility. An air-borne strain of primate ebola broke out among a bunch of macaques . Lucky it didn't cross over to humans. Of course, if it would have, DC would have been a good place to start

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2014, 12:30 PM
I know where a whole bunch of macaques are. Up on a hill very near there. In fact they can all suck my macaque.

BKB