PDA

View Full Version : Serious trail cam question....

Big Muddy
08-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Anyone have one of the new trail cams, which send the images to your iPhone or pc ???

Captain
08-06-2014, 07:03 AM
Have considered one several times but have not pulled the trigger. Not only is the camera very expensive the monthly cell fee is like the gift that keeps on taking. I think Verizon has a data only package that can help with the monthly cost and is only around 20 bucks. But of course by the time you add all the hidden fees and taxes it's probably gonna cost you about 25 to 30 bucks a month.
I guess it would be cool to have but I just don't know if it's worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
08-06-2014, 08:29 AM
I've wondered how much the phone bill would be. I figgeed only Michael Waddell could afford it anyways.

Then on the other hand....when you figure time and gas to go out to where the cams are at (in the deer woods) it may be cheaper to pay the cell bill.

Impractical for me to do at the farm anyways. The cell reception there is next to non existant since we're "in a hole" so to speak.

If ya had a good cell signal, I could see where one (or more) of these rascals could be a very good security system.

Big Muddy
08-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Dang, didn't know there are monthly fees to it....that might bust my idea....wifey says I got too many of 'em, now. ;)

Thumper
08-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Dang, didn't know there are monthly fees ........... wifey says I got too many of 'em, now. ;)

She said FLEAS Edward ... not FEES. ;)

Big Muddy
08-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Ummmm....bite me, Mr. Ebay Rich Guy. ;)

Thumper
08-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Ha! I need that $900 to pay for the junk I buy that DOESN'T sell! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2014, 10:29 AM
I think its an awesome idea to have cameras that do that, but I can tell you that around here a camera like that would get stolen in a New York minute.

BKB

Thumper
08-06-2014, 10:35 AM
I'd have to wonder why they can't be coded to prevent theft. If one is reported stolen, isn't there a chip that would identify the thing? Obviously, if it's connected through a wireless service, it basically has it's own cell number. I honestly don't understand why all cell phones, iPads, etc. can't be "theft proof". I'm SURE the technology exists. Like a car ... buy an item, register it, if you sell it, transfer it to the new owner. Some of these frigging cell phones are over $1000 now ... there should be built in protection.

BarryBobPosthole
08-06-2014, 10:52 AM
You can jailbreak most phones these days quicker'n you can say Jack Robinson. They've improved the anti theft features a lot but the thieves are usually one step ahead of them.
BKB

Thumper
08-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I've never lost a phone, so I haven't really paid much attention to the new technology. I know nothing is ever 100%, but it sure seems like it would be a simple process to make the theft thing fool-proof ... but that's over my head anyway, technically speaking.

Big Muddy
08-06-2014, 01:30 PM
My camera, should I even buy one, isn't gonna be stolen....it's for my own private property, and people don't trespass/poach around these parts....they know they'll come up mysteriously missing, never to be found. ;)