PDA

View Full Version : Tony Stewart hits and kills driver on Sprint car track last night.

Thumper
08-10-2014, 07:54 AM
I've read a dozen different articles and many of them vary a bit on the details ... but basically, Tony spun a guy out on the track, the guy got out of the car to "flip Tony off" when he came back around, Tony hit him and killed him. Accident ... yeah, I think there's no way Tony would have killed the guy on purpose. BUT ... some say Tony blipped the throttle when he got to the guy, it set the car sideways (normal for a sprint car) and the back end came around and hit the other driver, killing him. To be totally honest, that DOES sound like Tony, but I'd never in a zillion years believe he'd intentionally hit the guy.

Some articles say that part of the track was dark and the other driver was in a dark driver's suit and Tony couldn't see him.

Others say the guy basically walked right into Tony's car.

Others say Tony gunned the engine, which brought the back end out, hitting the guy.

They're investigating and cops are asking spectators for any video. Who knows? It sounds like a mess.

I wonder if he'll drive at Watkins Glen today?

Captain
08-10-2014, 08:21 AM
I was just gonna post about this.

http://youtu.be/_QJdBd0437U

My hunting buddy Jim and Tony are friends. I text him this morning to ask about it and he had not heard about this.
According to the news articles, tony is planning to run today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Captain
08-10-2014, 08:33 AM
UPDATE: 8:05 a.m. ET — Tony Stewart's racing team manager, Greg Zipadelli, said Stewart will race in Nascar's Sprint Cup event Sunday at Watkins Glen, calling the race "business as usual."

Thumper
08-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Can't tell a whole lot from the video but there did seem to be a bit of "swerving" going on ... hard to say. Yeah, I read there was a YouTube video up but it was supposedly removed shortly after posting. I didn't even bother to double check. Knowing the OLD Tony ... I wouldn't doubt he'd try to run over the guy's toes ... but he's mellowed out a lot since the "old days".

LW
08-10-2014, 12:37 PM
I don't give two shits about racing but looking at the video 1. The track was dark. 2. He was wearing black. 3. He asked for it. I mean if you walk out into traffic well, rubbin's racing.

Sunshine
08-10-2014, 02:24 PM
He's not going to race. Was announced two hours ago.

From what I can see, first it was dark, he was wearing black, who the hell is crazy enough to walk out on a track with racing cars , in the dark and not expect to get hit.
I think he tried to miss him, once he realized he was there, and when he turned his steering wheel it made his rear end come over and hit the guy.
I don't feel it was intentional.
Just a real bad decision, the driver mad, getting out of his wrecked racing car and trying to confront him in the middle of a dark race track.
Should of waited till he got back to the pit and then had it out with him.

Very sad situation for all involved.

Thumper
08-10-2014, 05:45 PM
On the flip side ... if you ever want to see the definition of HAPPY ... watch a video of A.J. winning at the Glen! That was one happy kid there! Congrats all around .. he deserved it.

Captain
08-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Didn't get to see it but I got XM satellite radio on my iPhone so I got to hear the whole race. Sounds like some serious rubbin' them last couple of laps!

Thumper
08-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Yep, but it was all CLEAN rubbin'! He was the man to beat and Ambrose didn't quite have what it took to take the lead. They traded a bit of paint, but both of them said it was just racing and had no effect on the outcome. I don't care for the "sporty-car" tracks very much, but it was a pretty decent race. 'Course, like Sunny said, Tony sat it out at home ... I had a feeling he wouldn't be there today.

Captain
08-10-2014, 08:18 PM
He was there this morning. Mr. H flew in to the track this morning and took Tonys relief driver, Regan Smith to the track from Charlotte. (He just got home last night)

http://maps.google.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=29.891840,-81.309414&zoom=14&markers=29.891840,-81.309414&size=400x300&sensor=true

Thumper
08-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I figured Tony would at least be there for the race whether he drove or not. I didn't expect him to go home, but that was probably the best thing he could have done. He's supposedly pretty upset.