PDA

View Full Version : Hush 'yo mouf, gurl !!!!!

Big Muddy
08-13-2014, 01:28 AM
"""'Aunt Jemima' family sues Quaker, Pepsi"""

Aug 12th 2014 8:23PM

"""One of the most recognizable names in the breakfast industry, Aunt Jemima, has been the face of some of the most popular Quaker Oats products for more than a century. But according to Aunt Jemima's family, the nationally known image was stolen.

D.W. Hunter - the great-grandson of Anna Short Harrington, whose likeness allegedly became "Aunt Jemima" - filed a class action lawsuit for a whopping $2 billion on behalf of all of Harrington's great grandkids. (Video via Food Network)

The suit is filed against Quaker Oats, its parent company Pepsi Co. and all related subsidiaries.

According to The Wrap, Hunter alleges that "the companies conspired to deny that Harrington had been an employee of Quaker Oats, all the while exploiting her image and recipes for profit, while refusing to pay an 'equitable fair share of royalties' to her heirs for more than 60 years."

The lawsuit also claims that the Quaker Oats company lied about having employment records acknowledging Harrington worked for them, even after the company was sent a death certificate that listed the company as Harrington's employer.

The Quaker Oats company website does not list Anna Harrington at all on its "History of Aunt Jemima" webpage, instead saying the image was "brought to life" by Nancy Green in 1890 and Anna Robinson in 1933.

The lawsuit however pulls information from two books written on the history of the famous brand, which, if true, detail in length Harrington's contribution to the brand.

"The northern mill's pancakes and Aunt Jemima's originals were taste-tested side-by-side, and "no one could see or taste a difference between them.'"

Quaker Oats told the Chicago Tribune it does not believe the lawsuit carries any merit at all."""

quercus alba
08-13-2014, 06:51 AM
another case of somebody trying to get something for nothing. Judge will probably give them 10 billion

Buckrub
08-13-2014, 08:15 AM
She's sitting on a decorative shelf in our kitchen. She's been in my family since I was 2............

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Various%20Pics/AJ_zps48423b34.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Various%20Pics/AJ_zps48423b34.jpg.html)

Big Muddy
08-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Why is the paint worn off her boobs????? ;)

Buckrub
08-13-2014, 08:32 AM
That's her hands. Her boobs are now down below hemline.

Big Muddy
08-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Ummmmm, okay. ;)

LJ3
08-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Well I WAS hawngree for breakfast until I read these last posts. Way to ruin it!

Thumper
08-13-2014, 10:38 AM
I was curious and read the whole Wiki article. Seems she was one of many "Aunt Jamima's" actually. I wonder what the laws were back in the 30's regarding this sort of stuff? Sounds to me like a "money grab" and kinda like the bozos filing stupid lawsuits for reparations because their great, great, great grandpa was a slave. At any rate, the Aunt Jamima history was an interesting read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aunt_Jemima

Here's a portion concerning Harrington:

Anna Short Harrington, born in 1897 in Marlboro County, South Carolina, began her career as Aunt Jemima in 1935. She had to support her five children, and she moved with her family to Syracuse, New York, where she cooked for a living. Quaker Oats discovered her when she was cooking at a fair. An ad in Woman's Home Companion in November 1935 said, "Let ol Auntie sing in yo' kitchen." It was her picture with a bandana used on Quaker Oats products. Harrington continued to play the role for 14 years, and she made enough money to buy a large house and rent rooms. That house was demolished to make way for Interstate 81. Harrington died in 1955. According to John Troy McQueen, author of The Story of Aunt Jemima, "she really was famous for cooking pancakes."

The company first registered the Aunt Jemima trademark in 1937.

HideHunter
08-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Got a clay jar like that one (I think it's even a #2) sitting in this house somewhere. I think it's in the basement with the brown, glazed one. Then there's a couple gallon jugs, a 5 gallon jug and a #12 and #15 crocks. Walked by them everyday for 25 years - don't even see them anymore. ;)

Captain
08-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Well I'll be Marlboro County SC. That's the next county east of my farm. That is ONE backwards place. I know the ones of y'all that have been to my farm think that is backwards area but I assure you Chesterfield is the Jetsons compared to Marlboro County.
I've always said if the world comes to an end I want to be in Marlboro County, cause everything happens 50 late there...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Arty
08-13-2014, 09:09 PM
As long as you can make it to that piggly wiggly for pig dip fixins you'll be alright.

Captain
08-13-2014, 09:16 PM
I have introduced a LOT of people to Pig Dip!
I think Jarod could have ate his weight in it... ;)

Arty
08-13-2014, 09:34 PM
I can about guarantee that he HAS eaten his weight in it since last October!

And my youngest has a taste for it too!

Bwana
08-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Hey Cappy, willing to share that recipe?

Captain
08-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Sure,
Get a pound of sausage however you like it, hot, mild etc and cook it up in a pan breaking it apart. Drain well on paper towels
Put a block of cream cheese and a can of Rotel (again hot or mild depending on your taste) in a big bowl and put it in the microwave for about 2 or 3 minutes. Taking it out a time or two to stir.
When the cream cheese and Rotel is melted and mixed well stir in the cooked sausage and mix.
Get some scoops and have at it.

Chicken Dinner
08-14-2014, 08:52 AM
RT, if we ever get our boys together I'd love to see a pig deep eating contest between the two of them. When mine go at it, it's best to keep your hands and fingers away from their mouths...

LJ3
08-14-2014, 09:13 AM
It's the most popular appetizer we have at our place too. It's pretty much a blank slate if you're in to cooking with different flavors. I've "styled" it a bunch of different ways. Cumin, old bay, jalapenos, drop some cheddar in there, chili powder, taco seasoning, fajita stuff, I've used italian sausage and garlic.... no end to the experimenting.

Buckrub
08-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Sounds like my 'famous dip'.

You need some chili. Good excuse to make some chili.

Layer of cream cheese on bottom of microwaveable dish. Then layer of chili. Then layer of shredded cheese. Then do it all again. Microwave till sorta melted. Get some good strong chips.

Add one layer of Salsa in there in lieu of 2nd chili layer. Also larrupin'.

LJ3
08-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Sounds to me like we're ready for a Superbowl party!

What the hell was this thread about, anyway?

Buckrub
08-14-2014, 10:01 AM
You SHOULD make your own salsa, of course.

One bunch of cilantro, chopped fine.
1/2 onion, chopped fine
2 jalapeno's chopped fine
One 28 oz tomato puree, or diced tomatoes
One lime
One garlic, chopped fine
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
Put in blender, make a 'no chunk' dip. Hand squeeze ONE lime in. Stir.

And if you want the best cheese dip in North America because you don't want anyone thinking you just buy stuff at Kroger:

Formby's Cheese Dip

2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup milk
salt/pepper to taste

1 pound American Cheese, cubed (not Velveeta)
1 can original Ro-Tel, warmed
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 tablespoon cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

In a saucepan, make a white sauce of first four ingredients. It will be thick.
Add the cheese and stir till melted.
Add warmed Ro-Tel to the cheese.
Add spices and serve.
Puree the Ro-Tel for smoother dip.

Serve those three things..............and someone will marry you.

Captain
08-14-2014, 10:50 AM
What the hell was this thread about, anyway?

Dang if I know....
How about.

Or....