PDA

View Full Version : Well, this is nuts

Buckrub
08-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Part of my big sale is 3 guns. Rifle, pistol, and ML.

I just listed them at arkansashunting.net, and just put them in online ad (that will run in the paper this week later) in state newspaper.

Just got a text from NEW YORK asking me about the pistol. I didn't notice number at first. Asked price. I told him. He said "I'll take it".

Hmmmm.

Then he said he'd mail a check and pick up after. Hmmmmm. Then I investigated number and saw it's New York. Malverne, NY. I texted several questions, including where he saw the listings. He never answered. I finally told him I ain't sending ANY guns to New York till I have cash in hand, an FFL dealer I can talk to, and he has to pay all FFL fees. His reply is only "OK".

WTHO?

Thumper
08-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Not sure why you'd wonder where he saw the ad. Didn't you say you listed it on the Internet? As in the World Wide Web. I'd assume some dufe in the Australian outback could see the ad if he had an i-net connection. I'd also assume you listed what the pistol is in the ad, correct? If someone were looking for that particular model, wouldn't a simple net search bring it up no matter where the dude lives? Do you have it listed as "will sell to Arkansas residents only"?

Buckrub
08-16-2014, 08:01 PM
I suppose that's true. It just was a bit odd that the first guy that texted me was from New York, I guess......... and then wouldn't give any info.

Heck, I don't even know with NY's odd gun laws if it's even legal to sell a pistol to a NY resident!!

I need cash.......but not that bad.

However, he DID also ask about the Muzzleloader.......which maybe hints that he ain't some NY Street Pimp looking for a pistol and has a wad of cash.... but failing to answer my questions is bothering me. If he is a legitimate buyer in NY, then he should KNOW he needs to go through an FFL and not balk at my asking about that......or about not taking a check, which he did.

Thumper
08-16-2014, 08:17 PM
I wasn't sure what you meant about, "Then he said he'd mail a check and pick up after". Does that mean he was going to pick up the pistol personally? In Arkansas? I think New York residents have to have some sort of permit to buy a handgun. For you to sell a handgun to an out of state resident, I believe it has to be handled through an FFL.

If you accept a check for anything sold on the net ... let the buyer know you will not ship until the check clears the bank. The best way to handle payment is through PayPal if you're not doing a face-to-face sale (or you know/trust the buyer).

Buckrub
08-16-2014, 08:43 PM
I don't know what he meant. I asked for clarification and details, and he gave none. Vague.

HideHunter
08-16-2014, 09:49 PM
You know.. now that I think about it.. wasn't there some kind of scam going on where they offered to pay your price then would have "someone" pick it up? I don't think I ever knew the details... but you end up screwed. As far as sales - about the only disclaimer I ever see is "no California sales". Many ask for a Postal Money order - then if they try to screw you over - you get the Feds involved. And PayPal... they don't allow gun sales. I had a 1710 Anschutz bought but the guy insisted on Pay Pal. Wanted to list it as "gifts" or some such thing. I finally backed out.

Buckrub
08-16-2014, 09:53 PM
When the guy first said check, I said no...........but I'd take a money order. He said that'd be fine. It was also odd that he asked about the gun, and when I told him what all went with it and the price, it was NO haggling at all. He just texted "I'll take it". That's odd right there.

He just didn't give much info. Honestly?? It was like an old guy (hahaha) that didn't know how to text much. Every text he signed his name! Just odd stuff. Probably fine, but I just doubt I'm going to sell a pistol to anyone in New York.

Thumper
08-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Ha! Yep, I forgot ... when eBay bought PayPal, they transferred their anti-gun crap to the PayPal regulations also. I've never used PayPal for a gun transaction and forgot PayPal and eBay have the same policies. My bad. Yep, the M.O. is the way to go. Yep Hidey-ho, I constantly see the "no California sales" in gun listings. What a PITA that state is.

jb
08-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Bucky, for what it's worth I'd say pass, knowing NY gun laws it sounds like someone is trying to buy out of state,
There are lots of chances to sell something face to face in AR, wait for something better locally.
BTY, what kind of handgun are we talking about?

Niner
08-17-2014, 12:48 PM
If it was me I'd stay away from that NY gun sale.

Ya might want to call a NY FFL guy and ask them some questions. You can find a listing of some at Davidson's Gallery Of Guns.

Niner
08-17-2014, 12:52 PM
http://www.galleryofguns.com/Retailer/default.aspx

Or.....

http://www.gunsamerica.com/FFLSearch.htm

Buckrub
08-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Good idea, Niner.

It's a Beretta 93FS 9MM, Bubba. + a ton of goodies to go with it.

The guy said he'd text me "some more info on Monday". I don't expect it, but whatever. Gun is in local paper this coming week sometime. I probably won't go through New York, but if he sends a money order, and has a legitimate FFL, then fine. Otherwise, not a chance. I'm broke, but not that broke!!!