PDA

View Full Version : There and back again

BarryBobPosthole
08-18-2014, 12:42 PM
A great trip up at Dogtooth this year! Our big walleye catch was a little off this year. I think we bagged about the normal number of fish but the walleye sizes were a bit down and the big smallie numbers were way up. I personally caught eight 16"+ bass and most of those were of the the 17-18 inch variety which put them in the 5-7 pound class. I'll tell you this: those pigs don't budge too awful much when you've got them hooked up. In fact it's a toss-up as to who has who most of the time. Speaking of getting my ass kicked by a fish, I caught the second biggest northern pike on my lifetime list. My best was a 41" 15 pound spawned out female on Lake of the Woods in 1988. This one this year was 39" 14 pound fat girl and man did she put an ever loving chopsocky beatdown on me when I got her to the boat. Those fish can spin like there's no tomorrow and while in the net she spun about 12 feet of line around her and managed to break the rear trebs off of my lure. Got her boga'd and thought she'd submitted but then when I lifted her out she slapped me in the face a few times, put some pike-foo blows to the body and by this time I have more slime on me than there is on her. Hell, I still smell like a pike. the ankle biter flies loved me the rest of that day.
Biggest walleye of the week was a 28 incher and my big walleye for the week was 26". 23" seemed to be the most represented year class which is a little off for Dogtooth. The mayfly hatch was very late and only ended about a week before we got there so all of the fish were fat and sleek and friggin' beautiful. Saw a ton of eagles and took a few pics. I'll post some in Fishing when I get caught up a bit.

Thanks for the Happy Birthdays! Spending a week in beautiful Canada took a bit of the sting out of turning the big 6-0.

Here's a pic as a tribute to our dear friend Tee Dub who loved his northern pike fishing! You can see why we call 'em gators when they're that big.

BKB

Buckrub
08-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Great fun.

My gosh sir. Do you seriously go out in public? This is not the normal ribbing done here. This is a serious request to a good friend. I mean, most good friends won't tell you that you smell bad, right? And Red and Gray don't go together.

Other than that, that's a nice pic. Deserves to be in the Fishing Forum.

Hotter than the Devil's Underpants here next 2 weeks. Welcome home.

Oh, and the Cards suck, and are still 2 out.

P.S.
60 is nothing. 62 is something. 65 is something else. Past there, it's grins and giggles.

Thumper
08-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a great time. I really miss my annual Canada fishing trips! I don't think there's any prettier country. Izzat Willie Nelson holdin' that pike? ;)

Buckrub
08-18-2014, 01:27 PM
OK, I'm gonna ask.

Do y'all eat these? Can you even eat a pike?

Thumper
08-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Some people loves 'em Bucky. We used to donate all of ours to the local fish camp and they'd love us for it. I never could figure why anyone would eat Pike (they called 'em Pickerel up there) when Walleye was available. I'm not much of a fish eater really, but I could eat Walleye for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Some of the Canucks called 'em Pickerel and some called 'em Muskies ... when I caught those slimy snakes they were all Pike to me. I really don't know the difference (if there is one). They'd eat 'em fresh or smoke 'em.

HideHunter
08-18-2014, 01:57 PM
CAN YOU EAT PIKE? absolutely.. they are better than walleye. They actually have some flavor. People who like *only* walleye and crappie don't like fish. I learned 35 years ago to debone a pike. . . . and I wasn't kidding - I prefer them to walleye.

Thumper
08-18-2014, 01:59 PM
You're probably right Hidey-ho ... if it smells and/or tastes like "fish" ... I won't touch it. Give me a very mild flavored fish with some lemons with about elebenty gallons of tartar sauce and I'm a "fish" eater! ;)

HideHunter
08-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Now let add a disclaimer: there ain't nothing wrong with walleye. ;) (except they are just a perch with teeth that doesn't "bite" as much as it just "hangs on", fights like a wet sock and bluegill are better eating.) Sorry, did I say that outloud. I was channeling one of my last discussions with Tee Dub. :D

Bwana
08-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Great looking fish Posty!

Not only that but that is most likely the best looking' picture one could ask for with you in it. ;-)

Congrats to you sir, sounds like one hell of a trip!

Thumper
08-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Not only that but that is most likely the best looking' picture one could ask for with you in it. ;-)

And that ain't sayin' much!

Arty
08-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Sounds like a great time was had.
Nice feesh!

Chicken Dinner
08-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Nice feesh! How'd that hat brim light work out for you?

Captain
08-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Man that is a nice fish. So glad you had a good time. I'd love to do that someday..

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Niner
08-19-2014, 07:39 AM
Welcome back, buddy.....glad y'all made it back safe and sound.

That's a dandy fish regardless of what name ya wanna call it.....Realllll nice feesh!!! :rockon
I can only imagine the fight that a fish like that would give a fella.

I can't wait to see your pics. PLEASE post up a bunch of them. :wave1

johnboy
08-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Good times and good fish! Our fave name for pike was "slimer" which is pretty appropriate, doncha think? Post more pics!

Buckrub
08-19-2014, 10:20 AM
I guess that's all we get. He didn't even answer any of our barbs!!! I bet he thinks he's busy...............lots of old managers are misguided that way!! :wink

Bwana
08-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Better not be all we get. I'm waiting to see the rest-of-the-story pictures Posthole, don't leave us hanging.

BarryBobPosthole
08-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Y'all just call the eff down. I'll get 'em posted soon as I get the wolves away from my door here at work.

BKB

LJ3
08-19-2014, 11:08 AM
'Nuff said.

Niner
08-19-2014, 11:26 AM
:withoutpics

:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin