PDA

View Full Version : Something different for youse cast iron dufes

Thumper
08-19-2014, 05:45 AM
Picked this up at a sale last week. I won't get into detail here, but you can read most of it anyway. I had to have it 'cause I'd never seen anything like it before. After a bit of research I found these were produced in turquoise blue, canary yellow, jade green and mandarin red during the 20's. In the 30's, the colors changed. The new 30's colors were usually two toned, like red with cream or yellow with gray.

I guess these things are pretty rare as I've only been able to find a few of them. Anyway, a red lid alone (no pan) just sold for $93.00. A SMALL #3 (6 1/2") red pan with lid sold for $270 and a green pan/lid that was all chipped and scratched sold for $128. It'll be interesting to see what this thing goes for. Some dude emailed me last night and offered $60, but I'm gonna hold out. I just listed it in an auction for a starting bid of $75. Ebay is fickle ... you never know what is going to happen. Here's the pan/lid ... (only the outside is colored, including the bottom of the pan). Got's this one as well as that full chrome set listed. I think they're all kinda cool.

3482 3483

Niner
08-19-2014, 07:46 AM
Man! That thing looks like it would make a dandy cornbread skillet.
I'll have to admit, I've never seen anything like that......and Di and I used to check out every "rust stop" we came across when traveling (or just riding around), plus the antiques shows we used to go to.about once a month or so.

Chicken Dinner
08-19-2014, 08:38 AM
The inside of that pan is beautiful. Is it painted or painted/enameled?

Thumper
08-19-2014, 08:54 AM
It's enamel. I think they tried porcelain on some later pieces, but they had porcelain inside and out so they could double as serving pieces as well as refrigerator storage. This one just has enamel on the outside and bare cast iron on the inside.

Chicken Dinner
08-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Pretty cool. It should be worth more as it has the matching lid. No way in heck would I part it out.

HideHunter
08-19-2014, 09:41 AM
well - cool. I was aware of the "enamel cast" but have never seen these. Just and FYI - I've heard lids are worth as much or more than the utensils.

Thumper
08-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Yeppers, I'm selling it as a set. If it were just straight cast iron, I "might" do better selling them separately. I think the lids alone are easier to sell than the pans. But then again, when you factor in the weight and the cost of shipping, it's sometimes a wash once you figure postage on two items versus one package. I use Flat Rate Priority Mail. There are also a ton of Dutch ovens out there that have people looking for lids only.

Buckrub
08-19-2014, 10:18 AM
How much is a lid? I got one or two I think. I dunno. I piled it all up in "Cappy's Pile", but I might have an odd piece or two left.

Chicken Dinner
08-19-2014, 10:24 AM
It depends on what it's a lid to and how old it is. There big demand for older Griswold and Wagner stuff in general and over time lids to DO's got separated. Like HH said, the lids can frequently run more than the actual pan to a collector trying to match one up.

Thumper
08-19-2014, 11:40 AM
What CD said.

HideHunter
08-19-2014, 12:29 PM
I have he problem right here. I have a Griswold Dutch Oven (#8 - 1278) with no lid. There were quite a few DOs that came out with glass lids - and that explains why metal lids are at a premium today. Coincidently I also have a Gris cast lid (#8 1098) that won't fit my DO. It does fit one of my early Wagners.

Thumper
08-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Well, this is ending about 1:00 am and the bidding has started. It's at $75.00 so far. Hopefully the activity will pick up later tonight.