PDA

View Full Version : Base-a-ball quershion

LJ3
08-19-2014, 11:19 AM
So... my kid made the premier girls softball team in Nova. they had two open spots and over 50 girls tried out. She made it. Which is cool but has nothing to do with my quershion...

The question is: In fastpitch softball, the coach signals in every single pitch to the catcher, who then gives the call to the pitcher.

Do major league ball teams do the same thing?

Chicken Dinner
08-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Very cool! And, you wondered what you were going to do with your nights and weekends now that #1's gone off to college...

I don't think that's normally how it works in MLB. I think they usually probably discuss batters/situations between the coaches and catcher/pitcher prior to games and then it's up to the pitcher and catcher.

DeputyDog
08-19-2014, 02:11 PM
I believe they usually game plan what they are going to do with each batter. This is usually between the pitcher and catcher. That's why in certain situations, they have the mound visits just to make sure they are on the same page in that specific situation.

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
08-19-2014, 04:28 PM
High school and college coaches are very anal and typically call every pitch. That is why catchers take longer than average to make it into the big leagues. They have more to learn after they are drafted than any other position.

Buckrub
08-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Major league catchers call their own game, not the manager.

Chicken Dinner
08-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Yeah, pitchers never shake off their catcher.

Buckrub
08-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Sure they do. But it's the catcher's choice that they are shaking off, NOT the manager's choice.

LJ3
08-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Shouldn't' we be talking about turkey fryers or someone Jimmy hosed down by now?