PDA

View Full Version : A better return than Las Vegas!

Thumper
08-20-2014, 09:27 AM
A while back, I attended an estate sale at a house where the woman had lived for something like 50 years. It was FULL of stuff ... from old magazines to old wooden thread spools. I don't think she threw much away. All they wanted to do was clear the house out so it could be sold. The deal was, they handed out grocery bags at the door (the large, paper type) and you paid $5.00 for whatever you could fit into the bag! No matter what it was! Large items like furniture, etc. was just a "ask and we'll agree on a price" type deal. But the smaller items (like I enjoy buying) were fair game. It didn't even have to fit INSIDE the bag ... just "bagged". My pile extended 2 feet above the top of the bag and I just performed a balancing act carrying it to check-out.

Anyway, I just sold the last item from that bag. Grand total? $437.50! Not a bad haul for a total expenditure of $5. Heck, as I was digging through a desk drawer, I found a full roll of First Class stamps. That's 100 stamps! I guess they'd been around for a while because they were 25-cents stamps ... but what the heck? The roll was worth $25.00 by itself and didn't take up ANY space in the bag. (1st Class Mail went to 25-cents in 1988). I don't need stamps that often anymore because I pay my bills on-line. But with today's postal rates at 49-cents for a 1st class envelope, I just stick on two 25-cent stamps and let the P.O. keep the penny. :D

Oooops! I just realized, I didn't include the $25.00 stamp value in that $437.50 figure ... that was my actual sales figure. What a bargain! :D

Thumper
08-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Addendum: Dang! I just remembered ... I found a second new/unopened pack of stamps in that desk. Add another $4.00 to the total above. Heck, this alone almost paid for the whole bag! :D

3487 3488

Bwana
08-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Sure am glad (or at least I think I am) they don't have those types of sales up here as I think what you are doing would be a boatload of fun. Keep sharing the stories Thump.