PDA

View Full Version : Trading Post/Sale Update

Buckrub
08-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Boys and girls............I feel like Thump. (No, that's not true. He feels with his thumbs. So never mind)

I cleaned out my garage. Some of you saw the original pic of the PILE of stuff. Tightline bought one thing, I got one thing from the pile to Niner, etc. I used that pic on here to test how to put it up at my Arkansas hunting Trading Post.

I had two goals. One was to finally make enough room out there to actually walk around, and to find stuff when I wanted to go fishing or hunting. But the other was to buy a bigger trailer. Ed told me a while back "Boy, EVERY southern guy has a 16' trailer" and it made me feel bad, and insignificant, and poor. Really hurt my feelings.

:crybaby

So......I put all this stuff for sale at that Trading Post website. Sold about $600 worth right off. Then it slacked off. So I rethought, and put some stuff on Ebay, with Jim's help. So far I have one bid. Meanwhile, I've sold another gun, my small trailer, and some other stuff. Most of the big, bulky items are gone, which really alleviates my storage problem.

As of today, I have sold over $2,000 worth of stuff. So, I got a new trailer.........it's probably more than I need just to haul an ATV to deer camp or the farm, but I have plans to move stuff from/to the Farm in the future, and this is sorta like my big diesel truck. It's the last trailer I'll ever need.

Brand new, dual axle, elec brakes, 3,500 lb axles, each, pipe top, bulldog hitch.

I put a wheeled trailer jack on it, and set my hard-sided truck case in it. (Can't decide whether to bolt it onto the trailer floor or sides yet). But now........it's paid for!! Woo Hoo.

Still have one big ticket item...........9mm Beretta, and one old Knight ML for sale........and the rest is just garage sale stuff, except for the 15 items for sale on Ebay. Won't know for a week if they sell. If they all sell, I've made out like a bandit.

Here's the trailer.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Various%20Pics/Trailer_zps46fa77cc.jpeg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Various%20Pics/Trailer_zps46fa77cc.jpeg.html)

Sunshine
08-23-2014, 02:41 PM
I'm jealous. I need a trailer and we've been talking about it for a year now.
I need one we can load the bike on or all my yard brush and garbage cans to the dump.
Tired of putting it in the back of my covered pickup.
Enjoy it Bucky!!!

Niner
08-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Good deal Bucky! Glad I could help you de-clutter just a tad. :wink

I know you've been wanting to get a 16 footer for a while now.....and you financed it by cleaning out you garage of stuff you no longer needed/wanted. Here here!!!! Good show.

Thumper
08-23-2014, 03:06 PM
That's a dang nice rig there Buckster. I think my trailer is about 15 years old now and I swear it's paid for itself 100 times ... I don't know how I ever got along without one before I bought it. But one thing gripes the crap out'a me ... why the "f" don't they install hooks on the side rails to hook tie-downs on? Heck, mine's a PITA and I've wanted to weld hooks on the top rail for years, but didn't want to burn the paint. At least mine is angle ... that round rail is nice, but even tougher to hook a tie-down to. It seems like such a no-brainer. :(

Buckrub
08-23-2014, 03:11 PM
The one I'm selling has U type hooks bolted on, sort of like a U-bolt. One in each corner.

Look closely. The one I got has solid angle iron bolted onto the outside of each corner, for tying down.

Performance Trailers, Hot Springs, AR. WAY better and WAY cheaper than anything I've found. And I've looked for years.

The round pipe is much stronger and won't flex in a heavy load.

I still can't decide whether to drill holes in my new floor and bolt the Contico storage box on............ hmmm .... I did use 1/2 gallon of Thompson's Water Seal on it the day I brought it home.

Thumper
08-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Oh, I had a diamond plate tool box in the garage and bolted it on the front of my trailer (to the floor). It takes up 2' of trailer length but more than makes up for it in convenience ... especially since it locks. I have a bottle jack, tire tool, different sized hitch balls, tie-downs, tool box, rags/towels, emergency (reflective) triangles, jumper cables, tow strap, first aid kit, heck, there might even be a kitchen sink in there! I have tons of stuff that I leave in that box at all times. I have the spare bolted right in front (o/s the top rail) above the tongue. I love the set-up.

Buckrub
08-23-2014, 03:15 PM
That's one thing I need to consider, and soon. A spare tire and spare holder.

I need to figure out how to A) bolt on the Contico storage box but B) not allow the front of the ATV to crush into it (like it did my old trailer, and bent it bad).

I'm thinking maybe (???????) a "Louisiana Guard Dog"??????? Advice solicited on this topic.

Oh, before you ask. There is NO room to bolt it onto the tongue, in front of the rail......because of that brace, showing in the picture.

Thumper
08-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Guess we were posting at the same time. I'm not sure I see the angle iron you're talking about. Mine has angle also, but it's still not something I can actually HOOK on to ... like a hook, or hole/slot, whatever. Sometimes I want to be able to run a strap forward and tie the load down instead of simply running the strap/hook at a 90 degree angle to the load. (does that make sense?) I can run it to an upright support, but they're usually not where I want them. Also the edge of the angle tends to cut into the strap after time. Also, if I simply hook onto the angle iron railing, the hook will many times come loose as the load bounces and takes the load off the strap-hooks. I'm sure a trailer as nice as yours has something I'm simply not seeing. Mine was a budget trailer (14" wheels/tires on a single axle) but it's all I really need.

I really like those diamond plate fenders also. Nice rig.

Buckrub
08-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Pics texted to ya.

Buckrub
08-23-2014, 03:24 PM
As for spare tire, I'm in a quandry.

The tires on it are bias ply. I talked to the guy, and he said "If I sell good ST Radials, I can't compete on cost". So I knew what I was getting. He told me straight up "These'll last a year". I'm sure he's right. Then I can get good Maxxis ST205/75-R15's.

BUT, till then, I don't want to go buy a spare tire and wheel that's biased ply and then not need it later...............or buy a spare good radial and it not be usable well the first year.

Hmmmm.

Buckrub
08-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Dang!!

Guess I also need bearing buddies! Geez. Nickle and diming myself to death.

Thumper
08-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Ok, got the pics. I saw those in the pic above and thought they were 2X4 brackets to add "pole siding" for loose loads or sumpin. Those would work fine, I just don't know why they don't put some sort of simple eye-hooks all along the side rail to give you a zillion choices of where to secure the load ... especially with multiple items to strap down. Oh well.

Yeah, I'm pushing my luck on tires I suppose. They're the originals (ST's) and have served me well. I prolly have a bazillion miles on those tires and they show almost NO tread wear. I took it to Tallahassee probably 50 times back when I was running around with Gator, and that's a 600 mile round trip every time. The tires look flawless ... but they are old and I know I should replace them simply due to the time factor. I don't need pricey radials though. :D

Thumper
08-23-2014, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't have a BOAT trailer without bearing buddies ... but do you really need them on a utility trailer?

Buckrub
08-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Ok, got the pics. I saw those in the pic above and thought they were 2X4 brackets to add "pole siding" for loose loads or sumpin. Those would work fine, I just don't know why they don't put some sort of simple eye-hooks all along the side rail to give you a zillion choices of where to secure the load ... especially with multiple items to strap down. Oh well.

Yeah, I'm pushing my luck on tires I suppose. They're the originals (ST's) and have served me well. I prolly have a bazillion miles on those tires and they show almost NO tread wear. I took it to Tallahassee probably 50 times back when I was running around with Gator, and that's a 600 mile round trip every time. The tires look flawless ... but they are old and I know I should replace them simply due to the time factor. I don't need pricey radials though. :D

I guess you could do that. Hadn't thought of that. But they work as well as eye hooks (which the trailer I'm selling has)........and there are 6 of these.

Still dunno what to do about spare tire.

Buckrub
08-23-2014, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't have a BOAT trailer without bearing buddies ... but do you really need them on a utility trailer?

I dunno. Do I?

Why not? Don't the bearings need greased too?

Thumper
08-23-2014, 03:38 PM
My spare is bolted right in front of where your box is, but I don't have that center support. That kills all that space between the box and the jack. They make bolt on brackets to mount the spare on the tongue rail or side rail depending on how much turning clearance you have at the tongue. Not ideal, but about your only option it appears.

Heck, it looks like you might have room to bolt it to that center support. Or isn't there enough space for the wheel/tire to fit there? (that thing looks like it has 15" tires ... it may be tight)

Big Muddy
08-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Most spares are mounted like this on trailers with the diagonal center brace....think that's what Thump might be saying, too.

Captain
08-23-2014, 05:03 PM
I have 6 utility trailers, Tilt beds and tailgate models.
I have Bearing buddies on everyone of them.
I never buy tires. I go to Northern tools and buy the rim and tire combo and yes they are radials.
They also have the spare tire mounts there.

Thumper
08-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I just bought one of those aftermarket "universal" tire mount thingies. It works great and looks like it came as part of the trailer. Yeah, if it'll fit where Eddie has the circles, it would be perfect. It can hang down a tad below the tongue if the tire is too big. I can't really tell if that is a tight fit or not. Otherwise, you may have to mount it on a side rail between the wheels and the front of the trailer.

Buckrub
08-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Um......I'm not worried about WHERE to mount a spare tire. I have several choices.

My concern is whether to do without a spare for a year or so till these POS tires wear out, and I get radials, and THEN get a good matching wheel and radial tire........OR to 'waste' money and get a biased ply spare and wheel which won't match if/when I get radials later.

Captain
08-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Read REAL slow...
Go to NORTHERN TOOL get a RADAIL tire and wheel for close to or less than you can buy the tire for else where. No mounting charges etc....
Now you got a spare tire and wheel.
What the hell does it matter of the tire don't have the same tread pattern. It's a SPARE.
I NEVER buy tires for my trailer. I buy tires AND rims. And replace both. I've probably got 20 or more wheels and wore out tires between home and the SC farm.
By the time you buy a tire pay someone to mount and balance and pay the disposal fees it's more cost effective to just buy new tires and rims every time...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
08-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Yeppers ... that's what I did for the spare on my trailer. I used to do the same on my boats. Heck, I "think" I bought mine at Wally World. The paint and pinstripe on the wheels even matched mine.

Captain
08-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Yep I do my boat trailers the same way. Just replace the wheel and tires.
The wheels and tires you can buy at Wally World and Northern tool are the same as the trailer manufactures buy. Northern Tool buys in such large lots it's cheaper to replace that to buy tires and change those out. And you end up with a butt load of spares over the years.

Arty
08-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Bucky. I texted you

Buckrub
08-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Oooooooo. Felt good.

Captain
08-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Here you go Bucky 3521 3518

And your trailer jack. With a trailer that long be sure to use double tires... 3519

Buckrub
08-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks.

Double wheel trailer jack already on there. First thing I did.

Those are not exact size, and load range C. I'm looking for Load Range E, a 10 ply..........but I think I'm gonna wait and risk it for a few months. Thanks,though.

Captain
08-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Load range E on twin 3500 pound axles? WTF

I cold see it on 8 or 9,000 pound axles but on 3,500????

Thumper
08-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Ya' beat me to it Cappy. Now THAT'S overkill!

Captain
08-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Serious. I run load range C on a single axle drop gate 12' trailer I have hauling a John Deere 850 tractor and bush hog.

Thumper
08-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Overkill on a dual-axle trailer ... unless you're gonna be haulin' broken down 4WD Fords & Chevies out'a the woods with it. ;)

Captain
08-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Even then with a full tank of gas you ain't gonna get over 5,000 to 6,000 pounds...

Thumper
08-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Yeah ... just raggin'. I'd wouldn't think that frame would stand up haulin' cars anydamnway. I assume it's a "light-duty" trailer. The springs/axles may support it ... not sure the trailer itself would stand up to the task though. I don't know if it's all angle or if there's a box frame underneath. It's sure a nice looker though. What is the weight limit Buckster?

Buckrub
08-24-2014, 06:09 PM

Load D is probably ok. It has POS tires on it now. They are C. It's not just the weight that the trailer will carry that is at issue....it's the strength of sidewall, flex in turns and backing and turning and such. And tread wear also but that's another issue.

Cappy's tire example above is wrong size. I have 15", 205-75X15 is what's on it, but they are cheapo tires. I can get Maxxis ST205-75-R15's for about $120.00. If I do that in a year, I don't need an expensive spare, just a spare of some kind if same size.

And I'm either blind, stupid, old, or all the above. All four wheels have new bearing buddies that came on the trailer!!

Thumper
08-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Dang, run those tires 'til you need new ones. Heck, you're just haulin' 4-wheelers and camping stuff. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get all the fixation on tires right from the get-go ... unless you have a dealer who's going to give you a heck of a trade allowance for the take-offs. Sheesh, what it all boils down to is it's "just" a utility trailer. Maybe I'm just not as "sensitive" when it comes to tires .. but then, I've never once blown a tire on my trailer either. Heck, the neighbors use it more than me. One just borrowed it to move his son to North Carolina and had that thing LOADED. All those trips I took to Tallahassee were on I-75/I-10 at 75 mph ... never a problem (knock on wood). I've hauled it loaded with two 4-wheelers and camping gear to NORTHERN Ontario, Canada and back 3 times ... from FLORIDA. I'm either the luckiest sob on earth, or youse dufes are overly paranoid when it comes to "light/medium duty" trailer tires. Those FOUR 205-75X15's are more tire than most cars are running on these days. I may be pushing it, but I'm still running the stock bias-ply's that came on mine when I bought it, but you should be able to haul a dang house on yours. I prolly won't have too many people agreeing with me here, but IMHO this tire deal is much ado over nothing. Quit reading all those blogs on the net and go out and haul some shit with that thing before it puts you in the poorhouse.

As my SEAL buddy would say ... "Quit trying to brain-fuck it to death!" :D

Buckrub
08-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Slow down.

Try reading from the first. I SAID (repeatedly) that I was gonna do just that. Run these for a year, or whatever it took to wear 'em out.

OK?

And ST tires don't do well with bias ply. They don't in my Travel Trailer, they don't in my boat, and they don't in my utility trailers. If they do for you, fine and danderoo! Goody for you! :)

all I EVER said was that I was thinking (not needing a decision, just thinking about) whether to buy the SPARE to match what I had, or the SPARE to match what I might buy later. That's it. Nothing more.

Thumper
08-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Can I have your "old worn out tires" after a year? ;)

I don't know ... I must be the luckiest man alive when it comes to tires. I bought my trailer new in 2000. It still has the original tires with elebenty-bazillion miles on 'em and they look almost new. It's hardly ever parked as everyone in the neighborhood knows, if they need a trailer, just leave a note on my door, hook up and take it. I just got it back last week because I needed to load a bunch of trash from that tree that fell down in my back yard. I don't think the wheels ever stop turning on that thing and all I've done to it is pack the wheel bearings about 2 years ago. Ya' know, now that I think about it, I'll bet it's a TOYOTA trailer! ;)

I'll have to take a pic of my tires tomorrow as it's storming here now and almost dark. I guess what I'm having trouble grasping is ... to me ... yours will still be "new" next year.

Buckrub
08-24-2014, 08:55 PM
If so, fine. I won't replace them then!!! The guy that sold me the trailer admitted they were POS and that they'd last about a year. If he's wrong, and you're right, I'm ahead. As I said, the ONLY question I have had was what kind of spare to buy.

Thumper
08-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Heck, put anything on there. Who ever needs a spare these days anyway?

Get one'a those donuts out of a junk car somewhere. :D

Captain
08-24-2014, 09:23 PM
If so, fine. I won't replace them then!!! The guy that sold me the trailer admitted they were POS and that they'd last about a year. If he's wrong, and you're right, I'm ahead. As I said, the ONLY question I have had was what kind of spare to buy.

And I guess I've done a piss poor job explaining how I was trying to answer your question...
I got and still get that you never were going to replace the tires that came on it. Like you I would not either. I'd run them till they were gone.
What I've been unsuccessfully trying to say is since you are saying you will probably replace them with radial tires when you wear them out, if it were me I'd go ahead and buy a spare tire and wheel in a RADIAL now. It will not matter one bit if you have a flat with one of the POS tires you have and you run a radial spare in its place and the other three non-radial as long as the profile is the same (or close)
Perhaps I'm wrong but somewhere in this thread I thought you were considering buying a bios spare "for now"
That is the part I would not do. I'd buy a spare that would match what you are going to have in the future.
Maybe I said it right now.

Thumper
08-24-2014, 09:42 PM
With Bucky's luck, he'd buy a spare that he planned to match up later, then by time he needs to replace his tires, that brand/style on his spare would be discontinued. ;)

Buckrub
08-24-2014, 09:43 PM
And I guess I've done a piss poor job explaining how I was trying to answer your question...
I got and still get that you never were going to replace the tires that came on it. Like you I would not either. I'd run them till they were gone.
What I've been unsuccessfully trying to say is since you are saying you will probably replace them with radial tires when you wear them out, if it were me I'd go ahead and buy a spare tire and wheel in a RADIAL now. It will not matter one bit if you have a flat with one of the POS tires you have and you run a radial spare in its place and the other three non-radial as long as the profile is the same (or close)
Perhaps I'm wrong but somewhere in this thread I thought you were considering buying a bios spare "for now"
That is the part I would not do. I'd buy a spare that would match what you are going to have in the future.
Maybe I said it right now.

My bad, Cappy. I did NOT get that from what you said. I do now. Thanks, that helps.

I'm swamped today.............Just today I have sold the small 5X10 trailer, the muzzleloader, my 9MM Beretta, an ATV bag, two Kolpin ATV gun boots, and gotten two offers on Ebay for b/s I'm selling. I have to meet a guy 40 miles away at 10:00 a.m. and then another guy back this way another 40 later, and then......and then...

Whew.

So, I'm discombobulated. Lots of stuff sold though. And assuming funds are received, the new trailer is paid for.

Big Muddy
08-25-2014, 12:19 AM
Speaking of trailers, today, a buddy told me about new 5x10 trailers at this place....
"""Ronnie's Trailer and Equipment Mfg. - Kosciusko, MS - We have the best prices on 5x10 utility trailers - $515 +tax - ph. (662) 290-6119"""
Might be a piece of junk, but even so, I don't see how he can build them that cheap.
Bucky, what'd you pay for the one you just sold???

Captain
08-25-2014, 04:56 AM
Here what I said earlier in the thread. It's the same thing only different. ;)

Read REAL slow... Go to NORTHERN TOOL get a RADAIL tire and wheel for close to or less than you can buy the tire for else where. No mounting charges etc.... Now you got a spare tire and wheel. What the hell does it matter of the tire don't have the same tread pattern. It's a SPARE.

Thumper
08-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Speaking of trailers, today, a buddy told me about new 5x10 trailers at this place....
"""Ronnie's Trailer and Equipment Mfg. - Kosciusko, MS - We have the best prices on 5x10 utility trailers - $515 +tax - ph. (662) 290-6119"""
Might be a piece of junk, but even so, I don't see how he can build them that cheap.

Yeah Edward, we have a company down here that does the same (about the same price if I remember correctly). I ran over to look at 'em when I saw the ad. It was a nice little trailer for light duty work, but I wouldn't think of hauling anything heavy. His had 3 choices, THIN (1X I think) pine floor, 1/2" plywood floor or a thin expanded metal floor. The bed was straight angle ... EVERYTHING was angle except the axle and there was no tailgate (just a box trailer with something like 12" open sides. The trailer tongue was just single square tubing with no side braces ... etc. etc. Again, if you just wanted something to putz around hauling leaves in the yard or stuff like that, it was a dang good deal. I don't think I'd have had a problem just hauling a lone 4-wheeler (or riding lawn mower) ... but not sure I'd load it down with fuel, coolers, camping gear, etc. etc. Throw that stuff in the bed of the truck, put the 4-wheeler on the trailer and roll. ('course it didn't have a loading ramp/tailgate either) For any half way serious hauling ... I'd have to pass. I guess ya' gets what ya' pay for ... just depends on what you need it for. Still a dang good deal for sumpin' light to have on hand.

BarryBobPosthole
08-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Regardless of whatever wheels and tires you guys decide to put on your trailers, be sure and lock those bad boys up. Man around here for some reason they love to steal trailers. There must be fast and easy money for stolen trailers because I know three or four people personally who've gotten their trailers stolen in the past year. Is there no registration or serial numbers or something that makes them easy money?
Friggin' thieves! I hate 'em.
BKB

Buckrub
08-25-2014, 08:36 AM

Depends on whether they are pipe or angle iron, to some degree.

I paid $745, but mine is heavy pipe, plus a solid metal floor. Hard to find. That was over 10 years ago. The same guy's son is still in business, one of the best welding shops in 5 counties, but he's high. He could build the exact same trailer as what I got.........but his price is a whopping $645 more!

Cappy, I said I read your previous posts wrong. My bad. I'll think about a spare later. Next week. Sometime. (Probably right after I have a flat).

Buckrub
08-25-2014, 08:37 AM
Regardless of whatever wheels and tires you guys decide to put on your trailers, be sure and lock those bad boys up. Man around here for some reason they love to steal trailers. There must be fast and easy money for stolen trailers because I know three or four people personally who've gotten their trailers stolen in the past year. Is there no registration or serial numbers or something that makes them easy money?
Friggin' thieves! I hate 'em.
BKB

already got the log chain to go through the wheels. Thanks!

Captain
08-25-2014, 08:38 AM
LOL .....

Thumper
08-25-2014, 09:07 AM
already got the log chain to go through the wheels. Thanks!

Ha ha! My neighbor came over a couple weeks ago and asked if I wanted to sell my trailer, 'cause he wanted to buy it. I told him no. I couldn't imagine life without a trailer. He then said if I sold it to him, I could borrow it anytime I needed it. (He had a "funny" look on his face.) He then said, "Dang! I was hoping you'd sell it to me so I wouldn't have to show you what I did to it." Huh? He'd left it parked in his driveway, wrapped a chain through the wheel and up around the fender and top rail and pad-locked it. The next morning he went out to use it, hopped in his truck and pulled out of his driveway. I'll give you one guess as to why one wheel was locked up. ;)

It bent up the fender pretty good, but he did a good job of straightening it. He wanted to pay for the damages but I figured, heck, it's almost 15 years old, I can live with it. I just wish it'd been the other side ... I bent THAT fender years ago when I got a bit too close to a pine tree. Oh well, at least they match now. :(

BarryBobPosthole
08-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Don't those trailer tongue locks work about as good as anything? I suppose about any measure you take is really just keeping honest folks honest. If a thievin' bastard wants it, they're gonna figure out a way to steal it.

BKB

Thumper
08-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Mine's been sitting beside my house for 15 years with no lock. (knock on wood) I always tell the neighbors to leave a note on my door if they borrow it so I'll know it hasn't been stolen, but they always just call or ring the doorbell anyway. The neighbor who had it the other day didn't have a tongue lock so just used a chain and padlock ... it works just as well ... as long as you remember to take it off before trying to drive away with it. ;)

Buckrub
08-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Got a trailer tongue lock too. But if a thief sees chain around the wheel AND a lock, he usually leaves. Thieves are pretty lazy.