PDA

View Full Version : War Movies

BarryBobPosthole
08-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Got a new TV this weekend, a 60" monster that has an awesome picture. So the first movie I watched on it was an HD version of 'Midway' that I've been wanting to watch for a long time. Whatever they did to make it HD made it look like it was filmed in somebody's garage. The details are amazing, but made the movie seem even more fake. Still, its one of my favorite war movies.

Watched the ball game last night on it and man is it ever funner. Saw a guy behind home plate trying to play with his wife's knockers by causally dropping his hand on the arm he had around her shoulders down and giving her a little squeeze. She didn't appreciate it. the things you can see in big old giant HD!

BKB

Buckrub
08-26-2014, 10:11 AM
The one in the black dress?

BarryBobPosthole
08-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Yep! that was her!

BKB

LJ3
08-26-2014, 11:05 AM
I was watching TV with step son last night and a commercial came on for a huge UHD TV with a curved screen and we were staring at the TV like it was the 2nd coming...

I was met with a look that said "forget it, Pal" from my better half.

So... hopefully before football season :)

BarryBobPosthole
08-26-2014, 11:11 AM
In doing my research for buying this one, everything I read about the curved screens says its all a hoax. I even went to some stores and did side by side comparisons. It seems logical that it would but it really doesn't make any difference. I almost bought the 4000hz UHD model too, but there's really not much UHD content out there at all yet. I thought I'd wait a bit before making that leap.

BKB

Buckrub
08-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Heck, there's not even any 1080i content yet. ESPN is the only one that does it at all, for broadcast TV.

LJ3
08-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I thought the same of the curved. But the UHD has my attention. Depending on price point I may go that route, we'll see.

Niner
08-26-2014, 12:05 PM
The Mrs and I got ourselves a 60"er for our Christmas present to each other last year. I literally love it, especially when watching HD stuff.

What brand did you go with? All of the research that I did pointed to Samsung being the best (at that time).

Thumper
08-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Dang! We have two tv's ... cheap RCA's and we bought 'em both in August of 1989 when we bought this house. I guess we have a couple of birthdays to celebrate this month! (obviously tv's aren't that important to us)

Side note: The tv's are still kicking, but we've been through about elebenty remotes. I have to keep buying used one's on eBay ... just received one last week as a matter of fact. (Lynn has a habit of dropping the one downstairs on the tile floor and after a couple bazillion times, it'll quit working)

BarryBobPosthole
08-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Niner, we went with the Samsung. Series 6 I think it's called. Its also got the smart options that I'm still trying to figure out. We have a Samsung DLP in our game room upstairs and have had really good service from it and we're happy with the picture so that was a decider for me.

Thumper, the reason we bought this in the first place is our old Sony 30 inch CRT TV in our bedroom finally bit it so we moved the one from our family room (Sony Bravia) to our bedroom and took the opportunity to treat ourselves to a new one in the family room. The old TV must've weighed 200 pounds. After carrying it out to my truck (where it currently sits) I am needing someone to reach up my butt and tie my cods back together if you're interested. Please use a John Collins knot when you do.

BKB

Thumper
08-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Don't know John Collins ... but I think I may have hung out with his brother Tom through quite a few "Happy Hours" back in the day. ;)

Big Muddy
08-26-2014, 02:02 PM
I don't think we've got two of the same brand TV's in either our home or lake house....Samsungs, Sharps, RCAs, and Phillips....I thought they all had pretty much the same picture quality, UNTIL we bought a 60 inch hi-def LG for the lake house den....OOOO---MYYYY---GAWWWD!!!
You can see the single fuzzy-hairs beside Jennifer Anniston's bikini !!! ;)

LJ3
08-26-2014, 02:46 PM
We have.. um, well... 6 TVs and will get 2 more in the new house :)

Niner
08-26-2014, 07:56 PM
EIGHT doggone TV sets!!!!
Holy moly.
We have ONE, that lives in the the den.

Captain
08-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Got 6 at the NC house. (Read Mrs. Captain) all but one is HD
4 at the Florida house and 4 at the SC house. Only 2 of the ones at the SC house are flat screen. The rest are the old heavy things. Glad when they blow up...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thumper
08-26-2014, 08:06 PM
One in the den here and one in the bedroom. There's only the two of us so even if we want to watch different programs, we're covered. I used to have one in the garage when I spent a lot of time out there. Heck, I don't even change my own oil any more, much less tinker. I couldn't tell you how many NASCAR races I watched with buddies out there as I'd be messing with some piece of equipment. 900 square foot garage, refrigerator full of beer, kick ass stereo and a color tv ... heck, I never really needed to come in the house! I just don't do it anymore and can't even remember what happened to the tv that used to be out there.