PDA

View Full Version : A rare ... SERIOUS post from The Thump. (listen up Sunny)

Thumper
08-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Ok dufes, listen up. You all know the story about my aneurysm a few years back. A slight problem was found during a routine check-up although I had no clue there was a problem. My doctor was EXTREMELY thorough with her follow-up and went beyond what most doctors would have done. Long story short, she saved my life.

Well, 10 years ago I had my first colonoscopy. I received a clean bill of health and cancer doesn't run in our family, so I was scheduled for another check 10 years later ... which happened to be today. Just a routine screening. Sure, we joke about the "Big Anal Probe" and I'll admit the prep work REALLY, REALLY sucks, but it needs to be done. According to the American Cancer Society, colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States when men and women are considered separately, and the second leading cause when both sexes are combined.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/colonandrectumcancer/detailedguide/colorectal-cancer-key-statistics

Most doctors say to start getting screened at 50 years old. I had my first at 52 and my second today ... at 62. Ten years ago I was clean as a whistle ... NO red flags what-so-ever. Today? TOTALLY different story. The doc found ... and removed TWENTY polyps and they've been sent in for a biopsy. That's TWENTY and he couldn't get a clear view of my complete colon because, evidently, even with all my "cleansing" yesterday/last night ... there was still an area that had "accumulation" ... so it's possible there were more than 20. I'm told that's a LOT of polyps and my doc says he gets pretty concerned when he approaches the TEN mark.

On a positive note, he said they did not LOOK cancerous, but he won't know for sure until he gets the lab results back. If polyps are found during a colonoscopy, then your screenings are moved up to annually (instead of 10 year intervals). So I have this to look forward to a little more often from here on out. :(

Polyps can be benign but can become malignant over time, so they need to be removed (SUNSHINE!!!).

So, now I'll be on pins & needles awaiting biopsy results. I really didn't need this but at least my doc says he's not overly concerned as they did not show outward, obvious signs of cancer ... but I need to have regular screenings now that I have "history". BTW ... if this type stuff is discovered early, it is highly treatable. Let it go and you'd better make arrangements for a funeral plot.

I've already escaped SURE death by having a normal check-up with intensive follow-up when an anomaly was discovered and I may have escaped another life-threatening problem today ... time will tell. (remember, I had NO symptoms for EITHER of these problems) If you do NOT get regular check-ups, you need to start. If you're 50 or above and have NOT had a colorectal screening ... get your ass (pun intended) to the doctor and get'r done!

So ... THAT is my Public Service Announcement to youse bozos.

Buckrub
08-28-2014, 02:14 PM
What we all already know....but thank you, for those who may not.

It's a terrible way to die, and an easy fix if done in time. I've had several removed...........but not that many. My next one is 2016.

Thanks for the advice. Listen up, folks.

Thumper
08-28-2014, 02:22 PM
My doc even made still shots of each one before he removed it ... and sent copies home with me. (Don't worry, I won't post 'em here) ;)

Funny story ... I checked in at the front desk this morning and the receptionist asked who my doctor is. I told her I have no clue and I just call him Dr. Alphabet! She didn't even flinch, just nodded and said, "Ok, that would be Dr. Nzeako."

His name is: Dr. Ugochukwu C. Nzeako (I didn't even ask what the "C" is for.) :D

Niner
08-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Dangit Jim....I sure to hope they all come back A-OK. I'm sure I know where you'll be headed if it doesn't.

As my signature always says.........CANCER SUCKS!

Sunny, get down to yer doc and get it done. If not for yourself, then for your family.....and them purty doggies.

Big Muddy
08-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Jimbo....I'm about 6 months overdue for my reeming....I WILL make an appointment, next week.

Chicken Dinner
08-28-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm sure it's nothing, but I'll send some positive thoughts your way any way. I'm in the same boat as BM and need to get mine scheduled.

LJ3
08-28-2014, 03:20 PM
I Doc found polyps first time around when I was 40. so I've been on a two year schedule ever since. That equates to about 17 miles of camera tubing and laser removal in my ass. They're all benign, but it's a CLEAR signal that you're at risk.

Dying from having your innards eaten by cancer and removed by surgery is no way to go, people!

LJ3
08-28-2014, 03:21 PM
I'm sure it's nothing, but I'll send some positive thoughts your way any way. I'm in the same boat as BM and need to get mine scheduled.

hehee, heh heh.. he said BM.

Big Skyz
08-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Well Jimbo this one area of growing older I have not looked forward to at all. I turned the BIG FIVE-O last week. I have been debating getting this done right away. If for no other reason, just to make sure everything is A-Okay. In fact I have my insurance contact information sitting on my desk. I need to call and double check to make sure this is covered under preventative medicine. I want to say my insurance covers this 100% but I'm not positive, hence the need to double check. If they do I will be scheduling to get'r done ASAP. Your post is helping to motivate me to do something I really would rather not do, but need to do.

Captain
08-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Pulling for you Jimmy.
Last one I had a couple of gets ago they removed 3. All OK
But I'm on a two year rotation now and due for mine next March.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

LJ3
08-28-2014, 03:43 PM
BS, It's really not nearly as bad as these yahoos make you think. You have the squirts for a few hours. They give you amazing drugs and you never even know what happened.

Thumper
08-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Oh, I've said before ... the check-up is nothing ... a total piece of cake. The first one, I didn't even know it had been done. This one' I pretty well knew what to expect.

As I laid on the gurney, I was looking at the monitor and saw something really hairy looking. I said, "WTF IS THAT???" My anesthesiologist told me to relax and she hasn't even administered the meds yet ... and that's just the towel on the gurney ... the camera is lying right behind me next to the towel. :D

She then said things should be getting a bit blurry right about now ... the towel on the monitor got REALLY fuzzy and that's the last I remember until they woke me up. The deed was done.

And I don't want to alarm anybody ... that's the last thing I'd want to do ... but if Ticboy says the prep is "nothing" ... he is one sadistic MF'er! Just don't plan anything all day and stay close to the toilet .... REAL close!

Big Muddy
08-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Since all of us need our butts checked, we oughta hire a traveling butt doctor....he could make a fortune, off us GH guys.
He could check Cap's butt, first, then swing up to you VA. boy's butts, then on up north and check some yankee and canukian butts....then, out west to Big Sky's butt, then, down to Okie and Arkie land, and catch Phole, Trav, Bucky, and QA with their pants down....then, over to you Georgia boy's butts....no need for him to stop at Thump's butt....I KNOW he's gonna get a clean report!!!

You may notice that I skipped my butt....I don't trust traveling butt doctors....I'm going to the hospital for mine !!! ;)

Big Skyz
08-28-2014, 05:00 PM
With the prune juice I've had to drink the last year to keep my plumbing cleared, I doubt the prep is going to be all that much of a shocker. Well, other than the taste of the stuff. Then again I can't stand the taste of prune juice either. Dang stuff ignites my gag factor.

LJ3
08-29-2014, 05:45 AM
I think Jimmy has a harder time because he eats like a starving Yak. I have a fairly normal diet and it's really like 3 or 4 very productive trips to the crapper and it's done.

Hell, Jimmy was in the can all day and still had "accumulations" :)

Thumper
08-29-2014, 06:42 AM
BUT ... here's what I think the problem was ... they had me drink my last bottle of yucky stuff at 10:00 pm ... I had to take some pills at 4:30 AM ... I got up at 6:00 AM and had to be at the hospital by 7:30 AM ... I had to SLEEP in there somewhere, so I may have shirked some of my "responsibility". (I used a butt-plug) :D

LJ3
08-29-2014, 07:38 AM
Hehehe... I was thinking more along the lines of some sort of eel sushi induced blockage that was held in place by some pan asian octopus suction cups :)

Doc looking up at you from the table going "uhhh, Jim? what the fuck, over?. I don't have tools for this!"

Big Muddy
08-29-2014, 09:31 AM
Now, that right there is funny !!! ;););)

BarryBobPosthole
08-29-2014, 09:48 AM
For some reason I keep getting that mental image from Jaws where they're pulling out old license plates and stuff.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
08-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Now, that right there is funny !!! ;););)

There is absolutely nothing funny about the idea of Thump and a butt plug. Nothing.

BarryBobPosthole
08-29-2014, 10:24 AM