PDA

View Full Version : Ok, what are these persactly?

Thumper
08-30-2014, 03:01 PM
I picked these up today and am a bit confused. I looked at them and know they "say" "Walther P99", but they appear to be mags for a .22 cal. I carry a Walther PPK-S (.380), but to be honest, that's about 100% of my knowledge when it comes to Walther's. I "thought" the P99 came in larger calibers like 9mm and 40 cal. and the .22's were something like P22 (?). Judging by the openings on these clips, they look tiny ... certainly no bigger than a .22 cal. Believe it or not, I don't even have a .22 round to test the things ... I sold all 10,000 of 'em to Hunter000 a while back. The mags themselves are about 4 1/4" long.

The Walther logo looks correct and the clips are VERY much heavier than I'd expected, so the quality seems to be there. In fact, they're so heavy, I thought they were full of rounds when I first picked 'em up. Anyway, I sent a couple pics to Cappy, but he's busy on his tractor spraying for worms, so I figured I'd throw some pics up here for some feedback until he can take a look.

Actually, I was on the way to an estate sale, but was way early and spotted a yard sale on the way that looked interesting, so I stopped. I asked the lady there what these clips were and she looked at them, read the bottom and said, "Oh, those are Walther P-99's!" Duh! She had no clue. Maybe they belonged to her EX-husband or sumpin' ... I didn't ask.

Call me a bozo if you want ... but I'm kinda stumped on these. Any Walther fans here who can point me in the right direction?

3559 3560

3561 3562

3563 3564

DeputyDog
08-30-2014, 03:48 PM
It looks like they might be airsoft mags.

Thumper
08-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Ah ha! I think you may be onto something there Deppity! That's kind of what I was thinking this morning when I first picked them up. I don't know squat about airsoft, but I mentioned to the buddy I had with me, they might be for some sort of "pellet gun". I figured what the heck, for $1.00 each, just the Walther name should be worth it. I guess I need to research airsoft stuff and see if I can figure out what these things fit. Anyone have a clue? To be honest, I'm not even sure what "airsoft" means persactly. :(

Captain
08-30-2014, 04:42 PM
http://www.airsoftstation.com/walther-p99-spring-airsoft-pistol-special-operations.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=walther-p99-spring-airsoft-pistol-special-operations

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

LW
08-30-2014, 10:37 PM
Yep

Buckrub
08-31-2014, 10:30 AM
OK, Mr. American Pickers, Jr. here, claims to be a hotshot fisherman, hotshot hunter, and now can spot a bargain better'n any Black Friday Woman, and lately he's shore nuff droppin' in my esteem-ination department.

Yeah, I made $168.00 mostly cause of his help. I acknowledge and gratefully thank him, in public, for such. He only snickered at my questions three times. I thought that showed great constraint.

But lately...........he thinks bias ply tires are better'n radials for trailers, he believes ethanol won't harm small engines, and now he don't know squat about airsoft.

Either we've all been duped, or the PuMp is PumPInG faster'n we thought, eh?

Thumper
09-01-2014, 07:11 AM
Awww, bite me! I admitted I was prolly way behind the times when it came to radials on TRAILERS ... big difference with automobiles. The conversation started out addressing the problem of SWAY. A radial will have side-to-side movement built into the tire because of the way it's constructed ... it's just the nature of the beast. A bias-ply has stiffer sidewalls and does not exhibit that characteristic. I was also heavy into off-roading years ago, and out in a rough, rocky environment, bias was the ONLY way to go due to the thin sidewalls (hence the side-to-side flex) on radials. I admitted I was using 30 year old "experience" but just going by my understanding of the construction characteristics of the two different style tires, a bias-ply would be LESS prone to side-to-side motion (sway) IMO. BUT ... I also admitted technology has changed through the years and it's been a LONG time since I had anything to do with that field, so I'm sure things have changed. Two things have NOT changed though ... one is the difference in the way radials and bias tires are constructed and the other is the propensity for manufacturers to tout their newest technologies as the best and dealers to push the same (or the most expensive option). SOMETIMES "old school" deserves a second look in a situation. Again, all I own these days is an 5X10 utility trailer, so I don't really have a dog in this hunt anyway. I just don't always depend on info I read on internet blogs.

Ethanol? Same deal ... personal experience only. I use whatever comes out of the pump at Wally-World in everything I own that's gas powered. My 4-wheeler sat (un-started) in my shed for almost 7 years and when I sold it, I told the new owner he'd have to go through the fuel system. I was totally surprised when I charged the battery and it cranked up immediately and ran like a champ (with a small amount of smoke). I topped off the fuel tank with fresh fuel and let 'er rip. The guy who bought it (mechanic at Toyota) and uses it almost daily (he lives in the sticks and rides it to his mailbox, etc) hasn't had to touch it. I did the same with a chainsaw in my garage just a month or so ago when a tree fell in my yard ... it hasn't been started in years ... MANY years. I turned it upside down, dumped the old fuel out, added new fuel and to my TOTAL surprise, it started right up. Well, actually, it took a few pulls by my neighbor, but it started and runs great. Heck, ethanol or not, you leave old gas in an engine and you're gonna have a mess ... that's nothing new. I just don't understand why all of a sudden, gas is getting blamed for every ill that ever comes to a gas engine these days. Again, maybe I'm just not up with the times, but I think some people just look for excuses for what probably would have happened anydamnway. Ok, that said, I don't need a bazillion examples of how ethanol has f'd up your gas powered marguerita blender, because you're prolly right .. it just hasn't affected ME personally, so if it ain't broke, I don't tinker with it until it DOES break.

Airsoft? I'm clueless. I thought airsoft was something kids play with ... like paintballs or sumpin. I figured at the most, sumpin' like pellet guns (a replacement for my "old school" BB gun). ;)

So edumakate me ... what is this airsoft thing anydamnway?

Buckrub
09-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Grandson got into it when he was about 14...........kids shoot each other, play war. Stings but doesn't kill ya.

And you just don't use 2 cycle equipment enough, or you WOULD get rid of ethanol.

Thumper
09-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Maybe ... I have a 2-cycle chain saw, weed-eater and leaf blower ... I guess that's about it. 'Course I also ran it in my 9.9 Mercury with zero problems when I had my little fishing boat, but .... as they say these days ... whatever. I guess I'm one of the luckiest guys alive when it comes to gas power tools. All I've heard youse dufes yakking about was it was turning your 4-wheelers into junk ... maybe the fact I ran a 4-stroke Honda is the difference. (?)

Man-o-man, I wish we'd had airsoft or paintball stuff when I went through basic training in the Army. They armed all of us with gosh-dang bb guns, gave us nothing but a wire mesh mask for protection and sent us out in the woods to try killing each other. The guys who did NOT get shot were considered "successful" in tactical maneuvers. I made a BIG mistake ... HUGE!! I decided to play deer hunter and climbed way up a big ol' oak tree. It worked like a charm as I "killed" a few guys right from the get-go ... but once the rest of their unit found out where I was, I was a sitting duck. Do you have ANY clue what it's like to get shot out of a tree by elebenty-bazillion frigging bb's!! I looked like I had the measles for the next week! I guess I didn't take one important little detail into account ... deer ain't gonna have their buddies take revenge and shoot back! :(